8 January, 2015
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Development Team is proud to announce the release of OpenCPN
OpenCPN Version 4.0 is available for immediate download.
This version is a major feature upgrade and maintenance
release of OpenCPN.
OpenCPN is a cross platform electronic navigation
system (ECS) supporting a variety of cartography standards and hardware
interface protocols. Versions are available for Linux
, Windows, and Macintosh computer architectures.
Since widespread introduction
in 2008, OpenCPN has gained a solid reputation.
OpenCPN version 3.x has been downloaded more than 400,000 times.
OpenCPN is running on hardware
from tiny Raspberry Pis with 4" screens up to networked workstations. The adaption to specific user scenarios and needs is easily achieved by using the Plug-in architecture and the wide scope
of user settings.
A responsive international user and developer community together with an up-to-date and complete documentation
are warrants to make installation
and use of OpenCPN a pleasure.
Some features of OpenCPN include:
- Quilted Raster(RNC) and Vector(ENC) digital chart display
- Full compliant support for official vector charts
in S-57/S-63 format and InlandENCs
- Industry standard GPS
receiver interfacing, with "moving map" on-screen vessel tracking.
receiver interfacing with configurable target safety
- Integrated Route
, Track, and Waypoint database, with industry standard Import/Export capabilities
- Tide and Current
prediction, with on-screen overlay of predicted data.
- Broad International Language support
- PlugIn architecture allowing on-going third-party functional enhancements.
OpenCPN is released under the GPLV2 license
. The executable program and its source code are available for immediate, free, and unlimited download from sourceforge.net.
As a successor to OpenCPN Version 3.2, OpenCPN Version 4.0 contains many new features and enhanced functions.
Among them are:
- Increased performance in all modes, particularly when using OpenGL graphics acceleration.
- Additional network interface methods, including TCP/IP client/server and UDP broadcast.
- Support for multiple data source instances, including
Filtering and prioritization of messages
Output of NMEA
data streams for real-time integration into ship systems
- Improved support for Mac OS X systems, including 64 bit native support.
- Integrated Tablet/Touch screen
Personal Locater Beacon (PLB) configuration and tracking.
- Enhanced AIS target tracking modes.
- GRIB PlugIn feature additions.
Graphical GRIB email
Moving particle wind
Enhanced GRIB data type support.
- Dashboard PlugIn feature additions.
More selectable instruments.
- Several new and updated Plug-ins, including
overlay for popular radar
World Magnetic Model variation compensator
Realtime datastream capture, record
Vector chart object and feature search tool
S63 Encrypted vector chart support
- Major update to embedded Users Manual.
- Measurably improved performance and reliability
over all supported platforms.
We hope you enjoy the new features of OpenCPN Version 4.0, and look forward to your continued feedback.
Download OpenCPN Version 4.0 at
OpenCPN | SourceForge.net
To get the complete insight about OpenCPN, for PlugIns and other useful information, visit our support website at
OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Discussions, questions and feature requests you will find here:
OpenCPN - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
The OpenCPN Development Team
Dave Register, Lead Developer