Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2012, 02:20   #46

Boat: Najad391
Re: OpenCPN Version 3.2 Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Multiple NMEA (and other) sources and their routing are on my list - actually started some experimenting with wxCTB already - hopefully it could solve the notorious Windows serial driver and port detection issues as well.)

Pavel
I fully agree on that
//Jan
janp391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 03:28   #47

Boat: Wasa 410

Regarding this post in the general feature request thread.

I think this in general falls under the request for configurability and as far as I understand it this is under consideration for 3.2. Maybe this has already been suggested ...

I would like to see a menu where the user can control which NMEA sentences are acknowledged by OpenCPN and which commands that are exported in return.

It would also like to control which port the data is exported to.
It would also like to control which input port the data should be accepted from.

In our boat I have two GPS sources, one in the AIS and a separate GPS connected to the Nav system. It would be good to be able to choose which one is used in OpenCPN from within OpenCPN.

Jonas
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 00:37   #48

Expect the following:
Support Android platform,
Support C-Map 93 Edition 3,
Support NMEA input by TCP/IP
Display Own ship heading line and render OWN SHIP according to their heading, when available, and to course otherwise
Render OWN SHIP to scale if AIS messages contain target size
Display expected position on route by set speed with synchro GRIB info
capt_wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 20:59   #49

-wpt alarm
-xte alarm and posibility to edit
-eta time and date (to have an option pc to be with utc time and from inide the program to adjust arrival locat time...and eta t be calculated)
dj_app85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 11:53   #50

Boat: HR40

search function for places in cm93

Old 26-06-2012, 08:40   #51

Boat: Nidelv 28, 28ft
Send a message via Skype™ to HotRod

I would give my vote for rebuilding the IO settings so that users could select sources and destinations for in/output of NMEA (0183) and possibly TCP / BT.
I would really like to see a dedicated tab/page for IO settings.

Secondary votes...
* Support for CM93/3 (if one can get permit from Jeppesen)
* Support for ChartWorld maps (ChartWorld - Shop - Cw_enc) (Used by Olex amongst others).
I got more, but these are my major wishes.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 10:10   #52

Boat: Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
* Support for CM93/3 (if one can get permit from Jeppesen)
You said before that that was never going to happen...
Any sign of change on that front?
/j
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 12:02   #53

Boat: a sailing boat

I too would like to support NMEA data over wifi (I believe this may be same with what others call TCP).

I would like to use OpenCPN on mobile devices, hence Bluetooth/wifi data a must have.

b
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 14:03   #54

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello dave,

I summarize here a thread of forum users OpenCPN French ENTERED. Applications are, for the future:

- 1) Develop PiotrjC plugin to use the polar boats, wind grib data and current data to create routes.

- 2) Allow the use of autopilot Furuno easily

- 3) Implement the use of multiple input-output port for NMEA data management.

- 4) Create a research tool (chart type ENC) to easily find a place from its name

Best regards

Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 14:46   #55

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

I would like to be able to open a chart from my chart directory using a drop down list of all charts with a recognizable heading to use for planning purposes. Something like SeaClear offers. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 15:45   #56

Boat: Prout G55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post

- 1) Develop PiotrjC plugin to use the polar boats, wind grib data and current data to create routes.

Gilletarom.
I think this is a great idea!!
globalkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 21:54   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Peterson 44

I would really like to see OpenCPN open sea clear WCI charts. Like many users I have been trying to convert my WCI charts (some 250) to kap and it has been a painful and slow process. WCI format is actually very good and I wonder how hard it would be to allow these to open in OpenCPN - there are a lot of Sea Clear users with heaps of WCI charts that are changing to OpenCPN
richardhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 19:20   #58

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

This is just an idea. I do not know how I found this program, but collaboration with them might be valuable to both. They have good grib support I believe, route optimization, polar chart support, apparently good world chart outline. Have not tried it.

Bluewater Racing Program
A Tool for Long-Distance Yacht Racing and Cruising

Bluewater Racing is a free program that provides strategic tools to help you win long-distance sailboat races.
  • Plan your route on a graphical chart-based interface.
  • View boat performance data (polar charts).
  • View weather forecasts (GriBs).
  • Use performance and wind data to compute how long it will take to sail your route.
  • Ask the program to plan the fastest route for you.
  • Track competitors.
  • Interface to your GPS.
  • View NOAA charts in BSB format
  • Make your own charts from any digital image.
Powerful route optimization. Like any good optimizer, ours will give you a best route, based on the input wind data. But you also get additional information, such as a “routing tree”, which tells you the best time to all the points in your travel region, and a “sensitivity analysis,” which gives you an idea of how far afield from the best route you can sail, and still arrive in close to the fastest time. Use it when you are considering issues besides minimal travel time, such as tactics against competitors, safety of navigation, or uncertainty of forecasts. You can view the forecast time it will take to sail any given route you have constructed. Most other programs will only give you one approximate “best route,” and won’t tell you how long it will take to sail a different route of your choosing. (This is because of the nature of their optimization algorithm

Powerful support for weather data: You can work with multiple Grib files simultaneously, to generate a complete wind picture that combines extremely accurate, short-range, small-scale forecasts at the start of your race, with long range, larger scale forecasts for weeks later at the end of your race. Grib data can be viewd as barbs, contours, color maps... The display options are highly editable.

Chart support: Bluewater Racing includes a built-in highly-detailed global planning chart, based on the Global Self-consistant Hierarchical High-resolution Shorelines database from the University of Hawaii. It also supports digital BSB-format charts; NOAA's complete set of official paper charts is available for free in BSB format. Arbitrary digital images can be converted into charts after the user "geocodes" them with latitude/longitude information.

No proprietary commercial data. Bluewater Racing uses high-quality, free, publicly available data from academic and government sources

Manual link --
http://www.bluewaterracing.com/index...tion&Itemid=66
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 15:40   #59

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37

I have spent the past couple of weeks planning out this years cruising season from the Solomon Islands, through the Louisiade Island of Papua New Guinea and on through the Torres Strait to Indonesia.

I rely primarily on CM93 charts but found the CM93 charts of the Louisiades woefully inadaquate for safe navigation. Large portions of the southern coast of PNG are also completely inadaquate.

Looking for alternatives, I found the Polar Navy software and the ability to easily download detailed encrypted S63 ENC charts for the Louisiades and other parts of PNG, available through Chartworld. These charts were produced by Australia and are very detailed. Chartworld, of course, also has charts of many other parts of the world available for download.

That said, I would like to see OpenCPN implement the ability to download Chartworld encrypted ENC charts and display them for use in Opencpn. I realize this is a bit much to ask for version 3.2, but I see two major benefits to doing this.

First, it would provide a very easy method for people to obtain charts of an area they may not have adaquatly covered. You can download these charts wnywhere you have an internet connection.

Second, and probably more important, I suspect that Polar Navy has worked out an agreement with Chartworld to obtain a commission for each chart sold through it's program. Entering into an agreement with Chartworld would not only benefit the users of OpenCPN but might also produce revenue to continue the the efforts of the OpenCPN development team.

In order to have adaquate coverage for this years cruising plans, I purchased the Polar Navy software and also purchased about $100 of charts for PNG. I only wish that whatever commision generated went to the OpenCPN development team!!!
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 10:05   #60

Boat: Dufour 35
OpenCPN and S63 encrypted vector charts

The subject is fairly well summed up in two earlier posts.
First Brak - the PolarNavy guy.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post401683

And then the OpenCPN view from bdbcat.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post485729
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn