Version 2.6 Release Candidate 1125 will soon be available for download from opencpn
the opencpn.org Downloads page to find and download the latest Beta version binaries.....
Source is available now on sourceforge git repo.
1. Implement Smooth Zoom/Pan option.
2. Implement OpenGL option.
3. Correct application startup position algorithm for Windows (FS#591)(FS#627)
4. Correct quilted chart selection logic for "RemoveChartFromQuilt" (FS#609)
5. Correct FullScreenQuilt enable/disable logic. (FS#608)
6. Change "North Up" context menu entry to "Chart Up" for skewed raster charts
7. Add notation of config file location to Toolbar->Help
8. Improve AIS
9. Correct PlugIn chart type initialization logic.
10. Improve NavObj file backup logic to eliminate invalid (FileNotFound) errors.
11. Implement application portability option (-p)
12. Document/update library dependencies to allow sound support for Ubuntu 11.04+ (FS#607)
13. Correct Drop Waypoint by CTRL-M for navobj persistence. (FS#652) Thanks David Tischler!
14. Correct mouse behaviour on Tide/Current window graph (FS#640)
15. Correct Console BRG report field for legs crossing IDL (FS#620)
16. Correct Route/Track delete and update logic (FS#658) Thanks PjotrC
17. Improve cm93 Chart InfoBox "Name" field in single
chart mode. (FS#359)
18. Correct behavior on reported AIS
Target Lat/Lon "unavailable" (FS#651)
19. Correctly show waypoints with both symbol="empty", and non-empty Name. (FS#612)
20. Correct AIS logic to show Brg=n/a if Range=0.0 (FS#637)
21. Correct TTG/ETA display logic when VMG<0.0 (FS#636)
22. Correct Waypoint edit logic relating to associated route
23. Improve GRIB and AIS Target List dialog positioning limits (FS#628)(FS#578)
24. Correct georeferencing for skewed polyconic charts
in NorthUp mode (FS#600)
25. Improve sound effects behavior on anchor
26. Implement preload of S57 Object Class list prior to initial vector chart load.
27. Correct Toolbar visibility on route
28. Correct AIS target list sorting algorithm (FS#597)
29. Improve Route/Waypoint add logic (FS#626) Thanks ptizef!
30. Improve daily and import
track naming logic (FS#633) Thanks pjotrc
31. Correct Windows HTML Hyperlink load to embedded anchor
32. Upgrade to wxWidgets 2.8.12
33. Shift to Microsoft VS2010 for Windows builds
34. Correct chart file update time checking logic (FS#623)
35. Correct Dutch ENC
chart rendering (FS#586)
36. Correct Tide column title for Unicode (FS#662) Thanks pjotrc!
37. Optimize track storage
No GUIDs, point names, symbols, types or opencpn extension attributes on track points
No point timestamps on imported tracks, unless present in import
38. Optimize Track Properties dialog for improved performance.
39. Add "libsdl1.2debian" as a necessary dependency for .deb packages (FS#603)
40. Correct GPX path memorization logic (FS#625) Thanks ptizef
41. Correct RouteManagerDialog sorting logic (FS#629) Thanks ptizef
42. Apply patch to save layer visibility state (FS#635) Thanks pjotrc
43. Improve AnchorWatch functionality (FS#634) Thanks pjotrc
44. Implement IENC2.0 Overlay cell type rendering. (FS#604)
45. Correct Windows comm port setup for Bluetooth connections (FS#381)
This will be a significant upgrade for some users of OpenCPN. It is selectable in Toolbox, according to user preference and system capability.
Here is what I have found:
-Performance with even simple low-cost accelerated graphics cards is much improved for some operations, particularly chart rotations and local panning.
-Performance may not be improved with embedded graphics chips as often found in older laptops and netbooks.
-The implementation is not complete for vector charts. Some features may render incorrectly,
or not at all. This is an area of continuing development.
-We can get better "eye candy", such as smooth zoom and pan, with little impact on responsiveness.
So, user's choice. If OpenGL works better for you, then use it. If not, the present DC based graphics render system is still in place, with performance equivalent to Version 2.5.0
I invite comments on OpenGL performance and compatibility.
3. Especially needs testing with MultiMonitor setups on Windows and linux
7. By popular request, will help in Forum debugging.
11. Implement Portability option:
Here is how this works in Windows....
The following files/directories/folders must be in the directory containing the OpenCPN executable:
1. OpenCPN.exe (of course)
2. "opencpn portable.bat" (or other name of user choice)
A MSDOS batch file containing the one line:
5. Seven wxWidgets dlls
6. OCPN data directories
To run OpenCPN portably within this directory, simply execute the "opencpn portable" batch file. There may be a way to build a clickable shortcut to OpenCPN, with the -p option specified in the shortcut. But I could not figure it out. Windows insists upon a drive letter in the command line of the shortcut, which would defeat the whole purpose of portability.
Thus, the batch file....
I find that this works pretty well from a USB stick...
, a similar functionality exists.
Copy the opencpn executable binary and the data directories mentioned above to a local directory.
In that directory, do
$ ./opencpn -p
This will cause all user data files to be created and used from within that local directory.
This can be useful for side-by-side testing...
31. HTML Hyperlinks with embedded anchors requires testing with firefox on Windows....
32. A bit disruptive, but allows simpler access to runtime dlls, also needed for "portable" option.
34. Added "Scan Charts and Update Database checkbox to Toolbox->Charts.
Use this option if you have made any changes to the contents of your chart directories, as for example after downloading new charts from NOAA, etc.
Need not be checked if directories are added or subtracted, as the entire database will be scanned and updated automatically in this case.
35. Dutch ENC
If this applies to you, you will need to delete and rebuild
the SENC files relating to the Dutch ENCs in order to capture the new code effects.
37. Improved track management.
I took the liberty of simplifying the GPX/XML storage
format of tracks. This makes a big difference in performance for large tracks.
Now would be a good time for interested parties to comment on the need for recording extended properties and GUIDs for tracks. I can think of no real reason to retain these properties, other than a satisfying symmetry with Routes...
44. Only known to appear on Austrian IENC cells. Others seen?
45. Tested on simulated environment
. Feedback appreciated.
Well, there it is. A big list, but really only a few highly visible fixes and upgrades.
We are working toward a Release of Version 2.7.0, possibly around the beginning of Jan, 2012.
As you may note, there are literally hundreds of Feature Requests being quietly ignored, so far.
More tester input is needed regarding which Feature Requests will impact the most users with the least effort....
Please remember to clear your Flyspray bugs if able, or at least annotate them for developer study...