Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2010, 00:03   #1

OpenCPN on Suse 11.2

can someone tell me how do I install on suse 11.2 openCPN I can not get it to work. has anyone one. rpm?
sy-Aldebaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 00:22   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Hadnt heard of suse in ages, used to be with them until they joined the microsoftie empire.

There's a thread on rpms here, but if you want the latest / greatest, it's probably easiest to compile from source (not as hard as it sounds).

Please do report back
Old 23-05-2010, 05:14   #3

Boat: 1978 43' Endeavour Time To Paws
Easiest way was to use 'alien -r' on the .deb that is provided. Another way is to create it from the CVS version by:
(in a directory you want a sub-dir to be made)
cvs -z3 -d:server:anonymous@opencpn.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/opencpn co -P opencpn

cd opencpn
aclocal
automake --add-missing
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install
TTPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 05:18   #4

Thank u TTPaws its working but not with all Charts. i have bsb, cmap and kap charts .
Old 23-05-2010, 05:25   #5

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Different issue I should think. What charts arent working? You shouldnt have any special characters in the directory name for starters..
Old 28-05-2010, 02:52   #6

Now i have an USB GPS-Mouse with Sirf Star III Chipset and i cat bring it to run WHY ?
Old 01-07-2010, 00:50   #7

Boat: Albin 85 Cumulus
Creating a RPM package for OpenSUSE 11.2 (and coming 11.3)

Hi,

I've been a user of OpenSUSE for a long time and would love to see a working RPM package available for current (11.2) and coming releases. My problem is that I'm not a programmer, cmake is "shallow waters" for me but I'm willing to learn and contribute if I can have some assistance from someone(s) more experienced. I'll try to see if anyone would like to help out by logging my attempts in this thread. Please help me where I'm lost.
My goal is to make a step-by-step instruction to compile a working release of latest stable OpenCPN release and if possible, a RPM package that helps other OpenSUSE users to a easy installation. OK, here we go:

1. Setting up a compiling (working) area:
    -Everything will be run as root: su -
    -Create a work directory: mkdir ~/opencpn_2.1.6
    with subdirectory: mkdir ~/opencpn_2.1.6/build
    -Download the current stable release (OpenCPN-2.1.624a-Source.tar) and extract to ~/opencpn_2.1.6.
  2. Perquisites, you'll need the following installed:
    -cmake 2.8.2 -> CMake - Cross Platform Make
    I picked the -gz file, downloaded it to ~/opencpn_2.1.6/ directory, and extracted using tar -zxvf cmake-2.8.2-Linux-i386.tar.gz. This creates the ~/opencpn_2.1.6/cmake-2.8.2-Linux-i386 directory with all needed cmake files. (The OpenSUSE 11.2 included release of cmake, 2.6.4, lacks the FindGTK2.cmake module.)
    -There might be more packages that needs to be installed depending of how much you've already have in place, please inform if you find dependences.
  3. Compiling:
    -Following the README in OpenCPN current release run: ~/opencpn_2.1.6/cmake_2.8.2/cmake-2.8.2-Linux-i386/bin/cmake ../
    -Next step is to run the make command: To be continued when below problem is solved...
Problem to be solved, please help out:
Scanning dependencies of target NMEA0183
[ 11%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/NMEA0183.dir/src/nmea.cpp.o
/home/joabro02/Download/OpenCPN/OpenCPN-2.1.624a-Source/src/nmea.cpp: In constructor ‘NMEAWindow::NMEAWindow(int, wxFrame*, const wxString&, const wxString&, wxMutex*)’:
/home/joabro02/Download/OpenCPN/OpenCPN-2.1.624a-Source/src/nmea.cpp:300: error: variable ‘version_t check_version’ has initializer but incomplete type
/home/joabro02/Download/OpenCPN/OpenCPN-2.1.624a-Source/src/nmea.cpp:300: error: ‘struct gps_data_t’ has no member named ‘version’
/home/joabro02/Download/OpenCPN/OpenCPN-2.1.624a-Source/src/nmea.cpp:304: error: ‘WATCH_ENABLE’ was not declared in this scope
/home/joabro02/Download/OpenCPN/OpenCPN-2.1.624a-Source/src/nmea.cpp: In function ‘void libgps_hook(gps_data_t*, char*, size_t)’:
/home/joabro02/Download/OpenCPN/OpenCPN-2.1.624a-Source/src/nmea.cpp:483: error: ‘struct gps_data_t’ has no member named ‘satellites_visible’
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/NMEA0183.dir/src/nmea.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/NMEA0183.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
jbrosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:31   #8
Marine Service Provider

jbrosten....

Nice start on the rpm effort.

Your compile error: you need package libgps-devel at version 19 or better.
This should be available as an RPM, or you may need to get the source for libgps/gpsd and compile that from source. The relevant include file is gps.h, required by nmea.cpp.

Good luck
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 22:10   #9

Boat: Forgus 31
Send a message via Skype™ to balp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Your compile error: you need package libgps-devel at version 19 or better.
Ro expand on this a little CMake find you have the gpds libraries and from that assumes it can build with them. So if you have libgpsd you need the devel part as well.

When you have that in place. A simple "make package" should give you a rpm package.
balp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 00:18   #10

Boat: Beneteau Escapde
Hi,
I installed opencpn on Suse 11.2/64 and it`s working.
Installed all needed packages, some of them not showing up in yast-software-installer - so use webpin.
To connect to my old Garmin in the former 2.1.xx Beta I had only use gpsd in GPS-Setup. Now I use Network LIBGPS.

So for me everthing looks fine.

Alwin
abro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 00:30   #11

Boat: Albin 85 Cumulus
Thanks everyone for helping out.

But I'm missing something here...
I have gpsd-devel installed, release 2.37-73.1 but that isn't what I'm looking for is it?
By installing "libgps19-2.92-32.3.x86_64 (from repository "
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Application:/Geo/openSUSE_11.2/" it seems to move on.

Then I crash at the grib part, looks similair as the gpsd error:
Scanning dependencies of target GRIB
[ 6%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/GRIB.dir/src/grib.cpp.o
In file included from /home/joabro02/Download/OpenCPN/OpenCPN-2.1.624a-Source/src/grib.cpp:35:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/filename.h: In static member function ‘static wxChar wxFileName::GetPathSeparator(wxPathFormat)’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/filename.h:393: error: ambiguous overload for ‘operator[]’ in ‘wxFileName::GetPathSeparators(wxPathFormat)( )[0u]’
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/filename.h:393: note: candidates are: operator[](const wxChar*, long int) <built-in>
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:822: note: wxChar& wxString:perator[](int)
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:824: note: wxChar& wxString:perator[](size_t)
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/GRIB.dir/src/grib.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/GRIB.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any ideas? Thanks, /Joakim
jbrosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 00:55   #12

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrosten View Post
Thanks everyone for helping out.

But I'm missing something here...
I have gpsd-devel installed, release 2.37-73.1 and the file gps.h is there. (/usr/include/gps.h)

Any ideas? Thanks, /Joakim
You're using an old gpsd-devel, from 2008 or so. A quick search indicates that there isn't a newer rpm available. I think that libgps-dev 19 must correspond to gpsd-devel_2.9.x. One way around this is to use the official tarball on berlios.de. You also need a similar version gpsd.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 04:32   #13

Hi SuSE fanboys,

I've looked around for an OpenCPN 2.3.1 RPM or some kind of info on installing it under OpenSuSE 11.3 and found only old stuff. I've made RPMs for 32 and 64 bit, containing the binary only (but with all dependencies) but don't know where to put them. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to provide you with the RPMs.

If youre looking into compiling it yourself and have trouble with compiling it, here are the necessary steps for a successful compile on a clean OpenSuse 11.3 install:

Maybe I have a few obsolete packages in here, but this will install all dependencies:

"zypper install wxGTK-compat wxGTK-devel wxGTK-gl gpsd-devel libgps19-devel Mesa-32bit Mesa libgweather-devel wxWidgets-devel gtk2-devel gtk2 gcc-c++ make cmake automake gtk2-devel freeglut-devel"

then do get the Source tarball (OpenCPN-2.3.1-Source.tar.gz), untar it, cd into the dir you untarred (OpenCPN-2.3.1-Source) and to what the README says:
Quote:
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ../

make

su, <password>

make install
That should do it. At least you'll have a working binary then. No warranties for details like gps library problems as stated above.

Jan
carbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 03:35   #14

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbo View Post
Hi SuSE fanboys,

I've looked around for an OpenCPN 2.3.1 RPM or some kind of info on installing it under OpenSuSE 11.3 and found only old stuff. I've made RPMs for 32 and 64 bit, containing the binary only (but with all dependencies) but don't know where to put them. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to provide you with the RPMs.

If youre looking into compiling it yourself and have trouble with compiling it, here are the necessary steps for a successful compile on a clean OpenSuse 11.3 install:

Maybe I have a few obsolete packages in here, but this will install all dependencies:

"zypper install wxGTK-compat wxGTK-devel wxGTK-gl gpsd-devel libgps19-devel Mesa-32bit Mesa libgweather-devel wxWidgets-devel gtk2-devel gtk2 gcc-c++ make cmake automake gtk2-devel freeglut-devel"

then do get the Source tarball (OpenCPN-2.3.1-Source.tar.gz), untar it, cd into the dir you untarred (OpenCPN-2.3.1-Source) and to what the README says:

That should do it. At least you'll have a working binary then. No warranties for details like gps library problems as stated above.

Jan
Welcome to this OpenCPN forum.It's great that you have managed to produce some OpenSuse rpms. How did you do that? Are you using Cmake and then make package, or you're doing it manually?

If you agree I can "publish" your packages on the opencpn.org download page for testing. That way they would be easier to find for users interested in OpenSuse Linux.

You could also do a write up in the wiki on how to compile OpenCPN on OpenSuse here: Compiling - Linux | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 09:23   #15

Re: OpenCPN on Suse 11.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Welcome to this OpenCPN forum.It's great that you have managed to produce some OpenSuse rpms. How did you do that? Are you using Cmake and then make package, or you're doing it manually?

If you agree I can "publish" your packages on the opencpn.org download page for testing. That way they would be easier to find for users interested in OpenSuse Linux.

You could also do a write up in the wiki on how to compile OpenCPN on OpenSuse here: Compiling - Linux | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Thomas
Hi Thomas,
well, at first I've written a .spec file specifically for SuSE, which was working perfectly, but the I looked into the cmake process and did a few very small modifications to the file CPackConfig.cmake and was able to build an rpm that will install on SuSE 11.3 and looks exactly like the ones for CentOS. The only problem with SuSE are some different package names of the needed libs.

I'll provide you with those rpms and the spec file.
I've put the zypper call on the wiki page, but feel free to publish anything that helps.

The modifications I did to to the CPackConfig are:
CPACK_RPM_PACKAGE_REQUIRES "wxGTK gtk2 Mesa gettext zlib bzip2"
and
CPACK_INSTALL_PREFIX "/usr/"
which could probably also be done in CMakeLists.txt, but I had no more time.

Cheers,
Jan
carbo is offline   Reply With Quote