Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2015, 22:59   #106

Boat: Club sailor...Victory 21, Ensign 25, Catalina 25, Lagoon 380, Catalina 290
OpenCPN on Raspberry PI2

I've seen posts in this forum where a Raspberry Pi2 was used as a WiFi access point and sent GPS, AIS and Compass data to an Android tablet running OpenCPN.

These tablets run OpenCPN pretty well. And, it's a low power solution across the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
RSkillings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 23:31   #107
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: OpenCPN on Raspberry PI2

A(ndroid)OCPN is still very beta - so not the solution for somebody who wants to use it productive in a short term.
The second question is which plug-ins are going to be bundled with it. This is not decided yet. And perhaps important point for a decision for specific needs.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 04:11   #108

This forum is specifically about OpenCPN on the RPi2!

re: Android, we are also testing the android version our use case would be to have it run OpenCPN as a repeater. Taking its data feed from our course computer (Rpi2 Debian Jessie Mate OpenCPN) and NMEA Controller (Rpi B+/Rpi2 headless).

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...?f=81&t=115350

Is this the breakthrough we are looking for?
Do we 'just' need to compile the driver for Jessie and setup X then run OpenCPN as a native OpenGL accelerated application?

Cheers
Spart
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 23:41   #109

Boat: Club sailor...Victory 21, Ensign 25, Catalina 25, Lagoon 380, Catalina 290

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread by referring to A-OCPN.

Sparticle, I am curious about how you're considering using OCPN running on a R/Pi as a repeater.

Can you elaborate on how this would be configured ?

Thanks !

Old 30-07-2015, 03:05   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSkillings View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread by referring to A-OCPN.

Sparticle, I am curious about how you're considering using OCPN running on a R/Pi as a repeater.

Can you elaborate on how this would be configured ?

Thanks !

The android tablets would be the repeater devices in our setup. Currently OpenCPN does not run in repeater/Slave mode, taking it's feed from a Master OpenCPN. Feature suggestion has been registered. The tablet would show OpenCPN and the active route etc. We could achieve this now by running OpenCPN on the tablet loading the same route as the Master (no ability to push the route out to the tablet) and letting it consume a NMEA feed from the onboard WiFi NMEA cloud created by the Rpi2. So all data would be created by the Master Rpi2.

Or we could simply remote desktop into the Rpi2 and look at the Master OpenCPN screen. (Already tested and works fine over VNC).

The Rpi2 is our Master Navigation Computer. All devices are connected to the same WiFi NMEA Cloud. So all data can be shared with all devices should we wish.

Happy to help.

Cheers
Spart
Old 30-07-2015, 03:11   #111

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticle View Post
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...?f=81&t=115350

Is this the breakthrough we are looking for?
Do we 'just' need to compile the driver for Jessie and setup X then run OpenCPN as a native OpenGL accelerated application?

Cheers
Spart
maybe. I an anxious to try this driver when I get a chance.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 22:53   #112

Thanks Spart,

Your setup sounds interesting, I'll have to think about it more.

FWIW, the setup I'm researching is a bit different ( I recall reading something similar in these forums ). I'm looking to connect a standalone GPS, dAISy, and an electronic compass via USB to a hub, then on to a raspberry Pi running KPlex and serving as a WiFi transmitter to an Android tablet running O-A. Hope to put it all in a backup.

I don't want to hijack this thread any further, and I'm looking forwarding to reading how your configuration comes together.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:31   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSkillings View Post
Thanks Spart,

Your setup sounds interesting, I'll have to think about it more.

FWIW, the setup I'm researching is a bit different ( I recall reading something similar in these forums ). I'm looking to connect a standalone GPS, dAISy, and an electronic compass via USB to a hub, then on to a raspberry Pi running KPlex and serving as a WiFi transmitter to an Android tablet running O-A. Hope to put it all in a backup.

I don't want to hijack this thread any further, and I'm looking forwarding to reading how your configuration comes together.

PM me if you want a chat.

Cheers
Spart
Old 04-08-2015, 05:13   #114

Latest make fails on Rpi 2:

In file included from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h:88:0,
from /home/pi/OpenCPN/include/dychart.h:210,
from /home/pi/OpenCPN/include/emboss_data.h:28,
from /home/pi/OpenCPN/include/chcanv.h:47,
from /home/pi/OpenCPN/include/navutil.h:45,
from /home/pi/OpenCPN/src/garmin/jeeps/garmin_wrapper.h:32,
from /home/pi/OpenCPN/src/garmin/jeeps/garmin_wrapper.cpp:22:
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkfilechooser.h:86:3: error: stray ‘\16’ in program
} GtkDileChooserConfirmation;
^
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkfilechooser.h:81:9: error: ‘enui’ does not name a type
typedef enui
^
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkfilechooser.h:87:3: error: ‘GtkDileChooserConfirmation’ does not name a type

^
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkfilechooser.h:89:40: error: expected initializer before ‘G_FNUC_CONST’

^
CMakeFiles/GARMINHOST.dir/build.make:448: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/GARMINHOST.dir/src/garmin/jeeps/garmin_wrapper.cpp.o' failed
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/GARMINHOST.dir/src/garmin/jeeps/garmin_wrapper.cpp.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/OpenCPN/build'
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:63: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/GARMINHOST.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/GARMINHOST.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/OpenCPN/build'
Makefile:140: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
pi@pi:~/OpenCPN/build$ cd..

This is a clean git clone, cmake and make.

Git clone succeeds, cmake succeeds but make fails.

Version currently running on the Rpi2 hangs after a seemingly random time period. Left it running overnight it failed about 6 hours in nothing in the log. Screen frozen on a blank canvas. Had to kill to exit.

Ran fine on restart.

Can anyone help debugging?

Cheers
Spart
Old 04-08-2015, 07:36   #115

Boat: Phantom 19

Spart...
Are you sure your SD card/file system on it is OK? All those errors come from the GTK+ header files which seem clearly corrupted - "GtkDileChooserConfirmation" sure is "GtkFileChooserConfirmation", "enui" "enum" and "G_FNUC_CONST" "G_GNUC_CONST" in a healthy version...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 13:39   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Spart...
Are you sure your SD card/file system on it is OK? All those errors come from the GTK+ header files which seem clearly corrupted - "GtkDileChooserConfirmation" sure is "GtkFileChooserConfirmation", "enui" "enum" and "G_FNUC_CONST" "G_GNUC_CONST" in a healthy version...

Pavel
Hi,

No idea, file system checks out ok. I removed the entire git directory earlier after the compile failed so can't check again. Git clone seemed to be ok when I did it.

Cheers
Spart
Old 04-08-2015, 13:48   #117

Boat: Phantom 19

Spart...
The errors you see come from the GTK includes you installed in the libgtk2.0-dev package, not from OpenCPN code.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 15:09   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Spart...
The errors you see come from the GTK includes you installed in the libgtk2.0-dev package, not from OpenCPN code.

Pavel

The version we are currently running that is experiencing the lock ups was compiled on the same platform using the same commands, directory structure etc.

Start by removing the OpenCPN directory and all subs and then clone etc.

Cheers
Spart
Old 09-08-2015, 18:00   #119

I just got my Raspberry Pi2 setup, using Jessie (upgraded from wheezy). I also compiled the latest OpenCPN from git, and I would have to say if anyone tried using OpenCPN on the orginal Pi, this is VASTLY better/faster. Especially after overclocking, but even before that, this is quite workable!

FWIW, the compile instructions on Compiling - Linux | Official OpenCPN Homepage work just fine under Jessie. I may have been in a weird state between wheezy and jessie, and had to install weston to remove a conflict, which I don't think anyone else will run into. Basically, I'd suggest just following the standard compile instructions.. it worked for me! (Note, I did have the framebuffer stuff in /boot/config.txt enabled in wheezy, and when I was compiling O, but I've since taken them out, and it doesn't appear to be anything different with them.

A one point I think someone said something about not being able to run in a window, only fullscreen.. I am running in windowed mode just fine...

Next, I might try to get the vc4 driver working....I'll keep you posted..
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 23:44   #120

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
A one point I think someone said something about not being able to run in a window, only fullscreen.. I am running in windowed mode just fine...
The broadcom opengl drivers don't work in windowed mode. So either you are using software opengl, the vc4 driver, or not using opengl.

Quote:
Next, I might try to get the vc4 driver working....I'll keep you posted..
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn