Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2014, 18:59   #31

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: openCPN on Android tablet

Let me avoid some confusion. I am talking about running OpenCPN on android _without_ linux in a chroot environment. It should currently be possible to do.

I am _not_ talking about using gtk or wxgtk or any of these as they require linux. What I mean to use instead is qt and wxqt which are supported to natively run on android. Eventually wxandroid may be possible, but currently the project is far from complete. wxqt however is completed enough that it runs opencpn and the program is usable. For this you need the android version of qt, or compile qt to run on android, then compile wxwidgets using wxqt, and finally opencpn, and then plugins for opencpn.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 19:07   #32

I am following this discussion - after a fashion - it is all totally beyond me! I know you all will have it worked out eventually and I salute your efforts.
It there is ANYONE out there who knows how to ''transmit'' OpenCPN from my laptop [while it is running] to my android without being connected to the internet....please let me know. I envisage something like RAYCONTROL that lets me ''see'' and ''talk to'' my chartplotter with my tablet via [internal] wifi. I have Connectify and Team Viewer.
jaramanpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 21:24   #33

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Let me avoid some confusion. I am talking about running OpenCPN on android _without_ linux in a chroot environment. It should currently be possible to do.

I am _not_ talking about using gtk or wxgtk or any of these as they require linux. What I mean to use instead is qt and wxqt which are supported to natively run on android. Eventually wxandroid may be possible, but currently the project is far from complete. wxqt however is completed enough that it runs opencpn and the program is usable. For this you need the android version of qt, or compile qt to run on android, then compile wxwidgets using wxqt, and finally opencpn, and then plugins for opencpn.
Will this allow use of the android device on board GPS? The solution is not really complete unless the tablet can be used as a totally stand alone OCPN handheld completely portable chart plotter. No blue tooth or OMG cables or dongles.

I just pulled the trigger on a Nexus 7. Should be here in 3 days or so. I see that ubuntu now can be actually installed on this device, without chroot. I wonder how well that will work with OCPN? I will try it and see, I guess. If not, that will be my dedicated chroot/Ubuntu/OCPN device.
Old 26-08-2014, 21:25   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramanpotter View Post
It there is ANYONE out there who knows how to ''transmit'' OpenCPN from my laptop [while it is running] to my android without being connected to the internet....please let me know. I envisage something like RAYCONTROL that lets me ''see'' and ''talk to'' my chartplotter with my tablet via [internal] wifi. I have Connectify and Team Viewer.
With TeamViewer you should be able to see and control OCPN on your laptop, with your android.
Old 27-08-2014, 07:57   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Will this allow use of the android device on board GPS? The solution is not really complete unless the tablet can be used as a totally stand alone OCPN handheld completely portable chart plotter. No blue tooth or OMG cables or dongles.

I just pulled the trigger on a Nexus 7. Should be here in 3 days or so. I see that ubuntu now can be actually installed on this device, without chroot. I wonder how well that will work with OCPN? I will try it and see, I guess. If not, that will be my dedicated chroot/Ubuntu/OCPN device.
If you are talking about 'Ubuntu Touch', last time I was considering an attempt to install it on my Xoom the ROM at that time was not developed with running linux programs in mind. Consequently, I lost interest. However rumour was that this limitation was supposed to change. So, I'm interested in how this pans out for you.

Ubuntu Touch does not replace but runs 'on top' of android. My impression, unless it's changed, is Ubuntu Touch only serves to provide a different U.I..
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 08:36   #36

Quote:

Perhaps I misunderstand. Which platform does OpenCPN presently run on that requires wxqt to run? OpenCPN runs on the P.C. in Windows and Linux; on the Mac and most embedded devices with arm cpus without needing wxqt. Am I correct in saying you have run OpenCPN with wxqt in Linux on a P.C. and perhaps an embedded device?

Do I understand your development platform is a Linux P.C and objective is to use this platform or an android device with "...android version of qt, or compile qt to run on android, then compile wxwidgets using wxqt, and finally opencpn, and then plugins for opencpn" to either rewrite OpenCPN with wxqt or, and this is where I cease to follow you, or use wxqt as a 'container' that's launched first and then OpenCPN?

I am not a programmer or developer. I am only proficient enough to use linux and android tools developed by others to facilitate using linux and linux programs on android devices. OpenCPN is only one example.

If an android version of qt and wxwidgets compiled with wxqt can be incorporated into an android ROM, how, without an OpenCPN rewrite as an android application (apk) is OpenCPN going to run?
Old 27-08-2014, 15:15   #37

My reply is to Growly Monster....so far I can only connect and control thru TeamViewre when connected to the internet. Any clues?
Old 27-08-2014, 18:03   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramanpotter View Post
My reply is to Growly Monster....so far I can only connect and control thru TeamViewre when connected to the internet. Any clues?
I'm not Growly Monster so apologize in advance for jumping in here. But, G.M. can correct me if I'm wrong. Teamviewer is an application commonly referred as a vnc product, requiring a vnc server on one device and viewer on the other. In order for communication between the two devices to occur, they need to be connected through a network. This is in contrast to vnc a server and viewer that reside on the same device, which is the case on android devices running OpenCPN in a linux chroot environment.

This is the simple answer.

See: VNC installation, configuration and use with Linux and Microsoft Windows for a more about vnc products.
Old 27-08-2014, 19:23   #39

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Do I understand your development platform is a Linux P.C and objective is to use this platform or an android device with "...android version of qt, or compile qt to run on android, then compile wxwidgets using wxqt, and finally opencpn, and then plugins for opencpn" to either rewrite OpenCPN with wxqt or, and this is where I cease to follow you, or use wxqt as a 'container' that's launched first and then OpenCPN?

I am not a programmer or developer. I am only proficient enough to use linux and android tools developed by others to facilitate using linux and linux programs on android devices. OpenCPN is only one example.

If an android version of qt and wxwidgets compiled with wxqt can be incorporated into an android ROM, how, without an OpenCPN rewrite as an android application (apk) is OpenCPN going to run?
Wx widgets is the support library for opencpn, or many other applications, so you have:

application
|
wxwidgets
/ | \
msw gtk osx

This allows to run on windows, gtk (linux bsd possibly windows and mac even) and osx toolkits natively. There are other targets (like x11, dfb, gtk1, msdos) which could work but less complete and so far no one reported using them with opencpn. wxqt adds:

application
|
wxwidgets
/ | | \
msw gtk qt osx
_____|_______________________
/ | | | | | |
x11 msw osx android fbdev ios sailfish ....

Qt is a different toolkit which supports more platforms than wxwidgets, however wxqt allows wxwidgets to use qt which allows any wxwidgets program to use any platform supported by qt. So far I am using the x11 platform under linux, but it would be possible to use under windows, osx, android, linux framebuffer etc...

So what I am asking is if someone can compile wxwidgets using --with-qt after installing qt android, then they should now have wxwidgets on android and be able to compile opencpn as well.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 19:32   #40
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN on Android Tablet

Sean...

OCPN under wxQT on Android is on my list, just as soon as I push out a new Beta. I'll start on linux, as you have, and then migrate to Android somehow.

I have lots on Android gizmos available for test. Carry on with the patching. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 20:01   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
I'm not Growly Monster so apologize in advance for jumping in here. But, G.M. can correct me if I'm wrong. Teamviewer is an application commonly referred as a vnc product, requiring a vnc server on one device and viewer on the other. In order for communication between the two devices to occur, they need to be connected through a network. This is in contrast to vnc a server and viewer that reside on the same device, which is the case on android devices running OpenCPN in a linux chroot environment.

This is the simple answer.

See: VNC installation, configuration and use with Linux and Microsoft Windows for a more about vnc products.
U can, I think, set up an ad hoc wifi network conection that doesn't require internet. Or bluetooth, maybe. Anyway I know it can be done without internet. I'm not the expert on that but I know it, can be done and is done.

The only reason I don't do that is I hate powering both a laptop and, a tablet at the, same time to do one job.
Old 27-08-2014, 21:47   #42

To GrowlyMonster and wrong......I just want to have GE2KAP charts by my side in the cockpit when navigating tricky bits. My Sony tablet is waterproof [!?] so that seemed like a good idea. Seems like I will wait till the whole OpenCPN thing is all worked out - thanks to all you who are working on it. I am humbled and greatful to you all.
Fair winds and following seas - and not too many tricky bits!
Old 28-08-2014, 16:30   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
U can, I think, set up an ad hoc wifi network conection that doesn't require internet. Or bluetooth, maybe. Anyway I know it can be done without internet. I'm not the expert on that but I know it, can be done and is done.

The only reason I don't do that is I hate powering both a laptop and, a tablet at the, same time to do one job.
Needs a network, ad-hoc or otherwise.

I agree powering a laptop for the purpose of serving OpenCPN to a second device makes no sense when OpenCPN can be run on a tablet in a linux chroot environment.
Old 28-08-2014, 16:34   #44

Quote:
Wx widgets is the support library for opencpn, or many other applications, so you have:

application
|
wxwidgets
/ | \
msw gtk osx

This allows to run on windows, gtk (linux bsd possibly windows and mac even) and osx toolkits natively. There are other targets (like x11, dfb, gtk1, msdos) which could work but less complete and so far no one reported using them with opencpn. wxqt adds:

application
|
wxwidgets
/ | | \
msw gtk qt osx
_____|_______________________
/ | | | | | |
x11 msw osx android fbdev ios sailfish ....

Qt is a different toolkit which supports more platforms than wxwidgets, however wxqt allows wxwidgets to use qt which allows any wxwidgets program to use any platform supported by qt. So far I am using the x11 platform under linux, but it would be possible to use under windows, osx, android, linux framebuffer etc...

So what I am asking is if someone can compile wxwidgets using --with-qt after installing qt android, then they should now have wxwidgets on android and be able to compile opencpn as well.
boat_alexandra,

Thanks for the information. Gives me something else to learn and when I feel competent enough to try compiling per your request, I will.
Old 29-08-2014, 01:36   #45
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Sean...

OCPN under wxQT on Android is on my list, just as soon as I push out a new Beta. I'll start on linux, as you have, and then migrate to Android somehow.

I have lots on Android gizmos available for test. Carry on with the patching. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Dave
Dave,

wouldn't it be recommendable to separate the work on wxQt from the current betas?

From the documentation at the wxQt site (updated yesterday, August, 28th) my conclusion is what Sean has implemented is a kind of "proof of concept" and still far from being a working environment for a "normal" user.
WxQT defines itself as "experimental" on it's home page.

Emulating a GUI toolkit by a second one - and this is Wx on QT, one shouldn't compare this with a GTK - opens a big can of worms and possible surprises.
One is adding a layer here - and not a simple one - and not just exchanging one underlying toolset by a different one .

Getting a stable running software in an environment like this seems to be a big challenge. Therefore I'm advocating to keep this development well separated from OpenCPN main until wxQT is mature and heavily tested.

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn