Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2019, 11:27   #1

Boat: Kelt39
Open CPN is not showing AIS targets

Obj : Open CPN is not showing AIS Targets

Hi all,

Some help please! We have successfully installed and configured the AIS Camino-108 on our PC (Windows 8.I). In Open CPN (version 4.2.0) we added a new Connection as directed COM(AIS Virtual Com (COM6); Baud rate: 38400.

In the AIS tab and AIS Target tab we have ticked the necessary boxes but still no AIS targets.

Any ideas on where the problem is??? Thanks in advance for your help!

Stacia
Stacia.Petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 11:49   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Open CPN is not showing AIS targets

Are you sure it is Com 6? Check the Windows Device Manager. You would have to have 5 other USB devices for that to be correct.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 13:32   #3
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacia.Petit View Post
Obj : Open CPN is not showing AIS Targets

Hi all,

Some help please! We have successfully installed and configured the AIS Camino-108 on our PC (Windows 8.I). In Open CPN (version 4.2.0) we added a new Connection as directed COM(AIS Virtual Com (COM6); Baud rate: 38400.

In the AIS tab and AIS Target tab we have ticked the necessary boxes but still no AIS targets.

Any ideas on where the problem is??? Thanks in advance for your help!

Stacia
The obvious question to me is. How do you know you have successfully installed and configured the AIS device?

Any particular reason for using an old version of OCPN?

Does the NMEA debug screen show anything?

Chris
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 15:41   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

What do you mean by "successfully installed and configured the AIS Camino-108 on our PC"? If you have the configuration software installed, then that will let you test and troubleshoot the AIS transponder. However, PC COM ports cannot be shared - even if only reading data - therefore you cannot have two applications trying to read the same COM port at the same time.

So to rewind, if you have software installed to test the AIS, do so and confirm correct function and the COM port settings and make sure OpenCPN is configured for the same COM port. Then shut down the AIS software and OpenCPN and re open OpnCPN WITHOUT the AIS configuration software running (if ProAIS is the configuration software, you just need to disconnect from the COM port on the first tab).
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 17:13   #5
Marine Service Provider

Stacia.Petit...

And the obvious:
Are you sure that there are actually any AIS targets within range?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 16:29   #6

Boat: Kelt39

Thanks to all of you for replying so rapidly! For a first experience on the forum, I am needless to say very impressed! And I am happy to inform you that OpenCPN is now showing AIS targets. Without changing anything specific, when I reopened OpenCPN, the targets appeared! Maybe the problem was in fact due to “sharing Com ports” as Reefmagnet suggested???
In any case, all seems to be in order for the time being and I thank you all again for your input. 
One last question, if we decide to install a newer version of OCPN which version? 4.8.8 or version 5?
FYI we are in Jacaré, Brazil and will eventually be heading to Uruguay in January if that makes a difference in some way....

Stacia
Stacia.Petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 04:06   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacia.Petit View Post
Thanks to all of you for replying so rapidly! For a first experience on the forum, I am needless to say very impressed! And I am happy to inform you that OpenCPN is now showing AIS targets. Without changing anything specific, when I reopened OpenCPN, the targets appeared! Maybe the problem was in fact due to “sharing Com ports” as Reefmagnet suggested???
In any case, all seems to be in order for the time being and I thank you all again for your input. 
One last question, if we decide to install a newer version of OCPN which version? 4.8.8 or version 5?
FYI we are in Jacaré, Brazil and will eventually be heading to Uruguay in January if that makes a difference in some way....

Stacia
Done well! give yourself a big pat on the back. I'd say go with the latest version of opencpn. 5 is stable and has some good new features. I'm particularly enamored with split screen mode which actually is very useful when keeping an eye on ais targets.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, open cpn