Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 05:56   #1

No Com ports visible open cpn setup

Hi, just installed 3.2.2 on a samsung notebook running xp (only the home version) and had hoped to interface it to a bluetooth gps.
The gps installed fine but only gave me the option of com15. I looked in device manager and was very surprised to see the only com port under 'serial and lpt' as the bluetooth com 15. I thought maybe a problem with my machine installation so tried my wife's laptop which is the same and saw the same thing there. I continued with the cpn installation (all fine) but when I tried to link to the gps I saw nothing under 'data connections'. I thought 'Maybe the prog doesn't see com ports above a low number' so I tried mapping the comp port using a third party prog but still no joy.

Anybody any ideas?

Ta for any replies.

Mark
RainAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:43   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: No Com ports visible open cpn setup

Mark...
When the port is not discovered automatically and offered in the dropdown (Can happen, especially with BT), just fill in the correct value of COM15 (or whatever it is now) into the field in the connections dialog manually.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:59   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

maybe open cpn refuses to run on XP since it is unsupported and outdated
Old 03-09-2014, 10:07   #4
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

No, this is not the case.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:36   #5

Hello and thanks for the replies. I now have the answer - not very edifying and shows me up to be a complete idiot but posted here to help any other idiots that this happens to!

Indeed the section which invites you to pick a com port was blank when I accessed it. It remains blank when you press the 'add' button. What I had not noticed though is that the screens expands BELOW the viewing level of my 'letterbox' netbook screen and to all intents and purposes the 'add' button had appeared to have done nothing. When I finally noticed that the border at the bottom of the screen had disappeared when I pressed the 'add' button and I could scroll down into that region I found Com 1 (don't know why since Com 1 was missing in device manager) and Com 15 (yippee!)

So that problem fixed. Thanks for all your help and I promise to look harder before asking for help in the future!

Thanks again,

Mark
RainAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:07   #6

You are not an idiot.

It is easy to miss something like a drop down menu in a configuration interface.

It's good that you posted the problem and then the solution. It's a virtual certainty that someone else will encounter the same problem and you will have saved them much time and frustration.

Good work,

Steve
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:11   #7

Location: Aboard currently New Zealand at last free from lockdown
Boat: Custom steel schooner 15m oa
Question Re: No Com ports visible open cpn setup. Nexus 7

Hi Folks, hoping yoiu can help me with a prob. I've used opencpn for several years (XT/Vista/W7/W8.1), now trying to get it running on Nexus 7 2013 Kit Kat 4.4.4. Finally got it running, more or less, with CMap93. (stable version, 3.3.1911-1_armhf.deb).

However, GPS connection is a problem.

There have been problems with Nexus 7 GPS, but seems ok on mine. I don't have anyother GPS apps running. OpenCpn toolbox offers GPS connection with a default port #2947. I have used GPSD (tickbox) as the address (network connection) and that port number, but nothing visible in the NMEA debug window (usually very useful).

Other various installs talk about dialout group user for /dev/ttyS0 (this file not in my /dev and anyway I don't think we're talking serial with the Nexus).

Any suggestions/guidance much appreciated. I hope this is the right thread, if not, apologies.

Thanks for all the guidance notes/posts which helped me get this far!
Old 08-09-2014, 10:17   #8

Boat: Phantom 19

Phil...
Refer to the Android threads in this very forum, there is some (actually a lot of) talk about this stuff. This thread is completely unrelated as it talks about Windows...
To use GPSD you would have to have it running and actually communicating to the GPS, do you?

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
open cpn, ports