Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 00:53   #76

Boat: Voyage 12.50
Re: New grib presentation

well
Sailing, and using the old plugin Grib has always been a problem: it is very difficult to use. Already GUI zyGrib was much better. Not heavier and much more complete
The version proposed by Alexandra does not improve things. See the attached PDF
The evolution of Ptizef offer a better view of the map, and most importantly, can easily download files saildocs
In fact, when you are sailing, it is not always easy to download large files. Saildocs option, provides a sufficient minimum to understand the weather situation. It can wait for a better connection and get more specific files, eg Poseidon System
This is useless with gribs we know they will never accurate to 1 or 2 BF have a large file showing changes every hour
Giletarom a good question, with the reduction of the windows. It would be a real step forward
cordially
Michel
Attached Files
File Type: pdf demo_grib.pdf (524.6 KB, 96 views)
yoruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:28   #77

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

yoruk,

That is before I have merged with pitzef, changes. The new version basically has all the features of both.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:28   #78

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48

The grib plugin do not show up in the OpenCPN setup, after copying the grib_pi-ep2.dll, without the KML, to the plugin folder. I have done this many times before with previous versions without problems. What can be the reason for my problem?

Lars
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:04   #79

Boat: Voyage 12.50

thank you,
where find this new version??? I have the same problem as Taarnskov
Michel
yoruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:58   #80

Good morning,

Running OpenCPN 3.2 on Win XP3 I had to rename grib_pi-ep2.dll to grib_pi.dll. Perhaps the hyphen was the problem.

Mike
Rasbats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:13   #81

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

SORRY!!

It was late last night, I wanted you all to have the update, and apparently I uploaded the wrong file. I am very sorry if I caused any trouble. Here's the correct file. I am sure you will see the improvements to this new meld of Jean's and Sean's.. Thank you Sean for your efforts melding them.

Sean, I have just one request, I have become attached to the tree list, would it be possible to have the flexibility to have a checkbox for Tree List in the preferences? It is very useful for reviewing, finding and testing lots of grib files at once.

If there is any problem with this file please let me know, I had to use kml because it is a big file, but it runs 'light'.
Attached Files
File Type: kml grib_pi-ep4.dll.kml (405.0 KB, 103 views)
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:18   #82

Renaming the file worked for me, and i can open it now.

Lars
Old 01-04-2013, 04:18   #83

To be clear, it is not required that the plugin be named grib_pi.dll it will run as long as it has .dll and no weird characters. It would be nice if the Opencpn > Settings >Plugins Tab, showed the file name for each plugin somewhere. I think that is going to go into flyspray.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:36   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
SORRY!!

Sean, I have just one request, I have become attached to the tree list, would it be possible to have the flexibility to have a checkbox for Tree List in the preferences? It is very useful for reviewing, finding and testing lots of grib files at once.
Yes it would be possible but it would complicate things. Does anyone else have this wish?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:44   #85

I like the way it works,but miss a couple of things for the moment. I might come up with more ideas when working with it.

- I can't see the time when scrolling through the grib file
- I cant choose different parameters when requesting a grib file.
- It would be nice to be able to request grib files from other sources (current, etc )
- The color theme available for air temperature has a narrow scale

Lars
Old 01-04-2013, 05:06   #86

The time should be displayed in the drop down combo control. Maybe this isn't working on windows.

I could never request a grib file anyway since the email code doesn't work on my system.. so I could never really test this bit out. I suspect that I broke it slightly with the merge. This is an easy fix I'm sure.

Are you using the sea temperature map for air temperature? There is no air temperature map.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:19   #87

The combobox is not working in the windows version.

There is no menu in the email request window where you can choose the parameters you want. Maybe there should be a possibility to choose different ways to get gribs, and the possibility to request the parameters necessary.

I am using generic for the moment for temperature overlay, but have tried the others. The problem is that i get very few colors for a wide span of temperatures

Another problem i have noticed are that when changing range, spacing, size etc in the grib setting window it is having no effect.

Lars
Old 01-04-2013, 05:47   #88

Boat_Alexandra If the preferences window checkbox for Tree list is checked, wouldn't the first Grib menu just expand and add the tree listbox?

Yes, the combo box is not working correctly yet, due to differences between the way Windows and Linux wxWidgets works .

Boat_Alexandra do you need/want me to modify this using wxFormBuilder? If so which file?

Taarnskov - You should understand, as stated several times above, that when in the configuration menu, you are choosing "DEFAULT" settings for the Data-Type that appears in the dropdown box. The settings you make here determine how the particular Data-Type in the grib appears. You control it. There are a number of data-types (current, seatemp, wind, pressure, etc). I generally use the least number of options for a simple clear grib for that Data-type, so that when you have checked to show other data-types, they do not compete as much.

Boat_Alexandra One other future request would be a way to adjust transparency in the Configuration menu for each data-type. (So that we can see what is underneath better)
Old 01-04-2013, 05:57   #89

rgleason,

I'am aware of the way i work, but i seems that I can only adjust some of the parameters for each type of visual element. I can't for instance adjust the spacing between the windbarbs. I would like to have the possibility to a closer spacing when sailing in a narrow sound where i zoom in.

Lars
Old 01-04-2013, 08:39   #90

Boat: Najad 34

Lars
I've found for my own use that a very narrow space downloads the PC to much. Instaed I use the function to hold the mouse pointer over the position I'm interested in and read the value for that position in the grib plugin window. Any position in between the wind bars are calculated by, I think, extrapolations. That calculation would be trusted to be as good as the forecast.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote