Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2011, 17:56   #1

New Charts for OpenCPN or a Chart Plotter???

Hello. Can someone please recommend what charts to BUY for OPenCPN? I am sick of the problems a pirated copy of CMap gives on Windows7, (although I always liked the actual charts. Charts are needed from Singapore through Borneo and Phillipines, and down through Indonesia to Australia. A lot of charts!!
Otherwise I am thinking of buying a chart plotter - possibly the new Garmin 720 which looks pretty neat.
Does anyone have any comments?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 11:55   #2

Boat: 29'
Re: New Charts for OpenCPN or a Chart Plotter???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Hello. Can someone please recommend what charts to BUY for OPenCPN? I am sick of the problems a pirated copy of CMap gives on Windows7, (although I always liked the actual charts. Charts are needed from Singapore through Borneo and Phillipines, and down through Indonesia to Australia. A lot of charts!!
Otherwise I am thinking of buying a chart plotter - possibly the new Garmin 720 which looks pretty neat.
Does anyone have any comments?
Chart Formats | Official OpenCPN Homepage

otherwise,per "any comments",Garmin hardware is ok but I'd be wary of the Garmin website,if you think you will "update" it or something...DANGER DANGER...I almost had a seizure trying to work it.Good thing you have win7 because a lot of other stuff doesn't work there.Firefox 4,Linux...it's very circular,obfuscating,opaque.Kafka-esque.

Best way into it is from a forum somewhere else.
And,Don't hesitate to email the help department...buried in what appears to be computer generated is sometimes a useful answer that'll arrive after you figured out a different workaround.Aargh.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 14:30   #3
Marine Service Provider

Jill...

What problems are you having on cm93?
Most OCPN users are doing all right with cm93, the limitations notwithstanding.....

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 16:16   #4

It is not a problem with Open CPN, but I believe CMap charts (piratd) are creating havoc on windows 7. Namely I keep getting the "blue screen of death". I am told win7 does not like pirated ware and since that is the only pirated stuff I have !!?? So I thought to buy the real charting might help. But I have just been reminded that OpenCPN does not support SeaMap version 3 which is what one can buy. So I am still at a loss.
jill
Old 23-06-2011, 16:31   #5
Marine Service Provider

Jill...

cm93 charts are simply files on the disk. There is no specific program associated with them. Your problem is with the downloaded files. There must be a Trojan coming with them...

I suggest that you try a different torrent or download site for cm93. Sorry I can't mention one here.....

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 02:40   #6

Boat: Dufour 35

Jill

Don't just trust any of the privately produced vector charts explicitly. We have, in this forum, found enough with problems with CM93. Other brands have their problems. Check these vector charts against official sources, a yachttie with paper charts perhaps, before leaving. Trying to find someone who have used cm93/garmin in the area where you're planning to go, is another way. Double check with Google earth is a third way.

There is official ENC chart coverage for part of your route, available for free, through the South China Sea Hydro-graphic commission. Links available in the OpenCPN documentation.
As you're on Win7, check out the new plugin for NV Digital Verlag. Coverage is available for part of your route.Willkommen beim NV-Verlag, Arnis, click on "more regions" to see the full coverage.

Using the Maptech BSB4 plugin is a possibility, but I can't find much coverage for your route.

Note that you must have the latest beta release to use the mentioned plugins. Hopefully, the new 2.5 stable release, will soon be available though.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 07:33   #7

Hey Thomas. Thanks for you letter. I am in full agreement. But I must say that for areas that I have already sailed in Borneo, the SeaMap charts were more up to date and had more detail than the official ENC chartsfor the South China Sea.
I am agreat fan of Open CPN. I think it is one of the best navigation programmes I have used. "By sailors for sailors" albeit clever ones who did the designing.
I am disappointed thatthe legal SeaMaps are not compatible. But I will eventually find something that I am happy with.
I will have a look at the "verlag".... you suggested. Thanks.
Jill

Tags
charts, opencpn, chartplotter