Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2012, 13:30   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
How to get Leeward and Windward Charts

I am new to the Open CPN world. That said, I tried a year ago, got frustrated, and went back to my Capt chart program. Having talked with many users since then and hearing how good the program is I am trying again. I have downloaded the program and got the CPN3 charts. It works but the charts seem to be very crude. Does anyone have advice on where I can get good charts for the Leeward and Windward Islands? Preferably free downloads. Thanks Aloisius, Dave
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 13:43   #2

Boat: Journeyman
Re: How to get Leeward and Windward Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
I am new to the Open CPN world. That said, I tried a year ago, got frustrated, and went back to my Capt chart program. Having talked with many users since then and hearing how good the program is I am trying again. I have downloaded the program and got the CPN3 charts. It works but the charts seem to be very crude. Does anyone have advice on where I can get good charts for the Leeward and Windward Islands? Preferably free downloads. Thanks Aloisius, Dave
If you were using BSB/KAP raster charts with your previous program you can use the same charts with OpenCPN. You just need to load them. Have a look in the manual if you're unsure how!
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 14:42   #3

I do not believe they are that type. Thanks
Old 31-08-2012, 17:05   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Chart Formats | Official OpenCPN Homepage

I'm not an expert on OpenCPN but it makes no mention of "cpn3" format charts. You might want to doublecheck what format you are using and see if that's the problem.

Free is good, but in most of the world charts belong to the sovereign and you pay to play. In the US, we're lucky enough to have our charts paid for by everyone out of the general tax pool. And the rest of the world is lucky enough to be able to get them and use them courtesy of us.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 00:58   #5

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
No charts come bundled with OpenCPN. What you see in v 3.0.x, if there are no other charts installed, is a background map, not a chart at all, but much better than the old "black hole" with a blue coastline.
There is no such thing as "CPN3 charts".

What kind of charts do you have available on the Captn? What is the file extension.

If you are using OpenCPN on a Windows, both "nv-charts" and "maptech" have chart coverage available, but far from free.
Both are used with a dedicated plugin on OpenCPN.
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:24   #6

I am not certain of the extension on the charts that I am currently using. When I look, there is a number of extensions,: .A01, .A02, B05, C07 and more. So I am not sure how to see if they are BSB / KAP. So I might already have what is needed, but just don't know how to access.
As to the free charts. NOAA produces charts for the US. I did not know if there was a site that had collected these and other charts and organized into one spot. And I too have paid much into the tax pool, and continue too.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:09   #7

Quote:
NOAA produces charts for the US. I did not know if there was a site that had collected these and other charts and organized into one spot. .
You know, things are much easier if you read the manual

Chart Sources | Official OpenCPN Homepage points you to Obtain Charting Products
Old 01-09-2012, 07:23   #8

I have read the manual many times, that is why I posted. I still do not understand. Sorry, my specialty is not in computers. I have not been able to determine the type of file that I am using in the Capn program. The CMP93 charts that I have are usable in OPEN CPN, but far less clear than my Capn charts. (I can not tell what file extention they are, even when I right click and go to properties). I was hoping to get some help rather more than get criticized.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:42   #9

You asked for a site that organizes the NOAA charts in one spot. This is what I linked to, easy to find in the manual.

If you have CM93 charts (I guess your "CMP93" is a typo?) there is no reason why they should be "unclear". Can you describe what you mean by that, or even better, attach a screenshot to show how you mean? Small example from Roadtown, Tortola with CM93 charts here:

Now if I read the manual of The Capn, it says it supports BSB, ENC and a few other formats. Your .A01 etc extensions looks unfamiliar, but maybe they have their own extension for ENC chart, I don't know. If you post one of those files somewhere we could take a look.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:14   #10

I am trying to upload a copy of a file that has one of the charts in it with the attachment icon. I have also tried ot attach a copy of a print screen of both the Capn and OpenCPN that is in Microsoft Powerpoint. I have not been able to attach either. I will keep trying. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:21   #11

This forum pretty much sucks for attaching files for people who are not computer wizkids, I am afraid

I would suggest posting them on http://temp-share.com/ instead of trying to guide you through how to get it right here, that could take for ever.

Post the links you get from http://temp-share.com/ you can do by copy-and-paste.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:33   #12

OK so I have attached to the website http://temp-share.com/ , it then is asking for an email. How do I send it to the forum? Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 08:39   #13

http://temp-share.com/show/dPf3mq6bW

chart file

http://temp-share.com/show/Pf3Y6uNc2

Comparison file in PowerPoint
Old 01-09-2012, 08:44   #14

The capn illistration is uses a different set of charts than the OpenCPN illistration. I would like to use the charts that are in the Capn illlistration in the OpenCPN program. The file used in Capn is what I uploaded to the forum. Again thanks for the help. Dave
Old 01-09-2012, 08:49   #15

OK, a few things are clear:

- Your Capn sample uses a raster chart. If that is the file you uploaded it is some strange format that we cannot use. (It looks just like garbage to me, so it probably is encrypted)

- Your OpenCPN installation is broken. My problem is that I remember another user had the same issue about 6 months ago but I cannot remember what the exact issue was. I will have to dig through the archives...

Tags
charts