Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2010, 12:18   #136

Boat: Wasa 410
Hi
I didn't really do much at all, but I'm happy you got it working!

/J
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 01:40   #137

Boat: Looking for a live aboard
Hi Jonas,
it was your suggestion to hook up a terminal to the com port and letting me know the baud rate would be 4800 that pointed the way ahead,
Mark
sausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:10   #138

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Hi,

as a new user to OCPN (actually version 1.3.6 on Windows 7 32Bit) I've read a lot of psotings here and in the documentation everywhere around, but still have some questions.

I hope it's the right place to ask them?

Here we go:
  1. Before switching over to OCPN I used an old CMapENC program because I have some (different) sets of CM93.2 maps. They work fine with OCPN. Due to crashing the program at a some places (suspect that the chart file is corrupted) I worked with all of my map sets. How does OCPN handle several identical CM93 charts for the same places (only differ in date)? Does it automatically choose the newest one?
  2. I also tried some free ENCs from RIS Server (no depth in the charts???). It's a bit annoying that OCPN seems to build the 2 files (one BMP and one S57 file) everytime, or at least the first time a map comes to show up. Did I miss something? Can't this be done once when the (new) chart directory is configured/ added to the config?
  3. Where can I find an explanation for the configuration options under 'Vector Charts' (espacially for 'SCAMIN' and 'ATON labels')?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Greetings
Gunther
Netsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:10   #139

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
Welcome, Gunther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsurfer View Post
  • Before switching over to OCPN I used an old CMapENC program because I have some (different) sets of CM93.2 maps. They work fine with OCPN. Due to crashing the program at a some places (suspect that the chart file is corrupted) I worked with all of my map sets. How does OCPN handle several identical CM93 charts for the same places (only differ in date)? Does it automatically choose the newest one?
Yes, it picks the latest.
Quote:
  • I also tried some free ENCs from RIS Server (no depth in the charts???). It's a bit annoying that OCPN seems to build the 2 files (one BMP and one S57 file) everytime, or at least the first time a map comes to show up. Did I miss something? Can't this be done once when the (new) chart directory is configured/ added to the config?
Building all first seems like a reasonable feature request to me. Feel free to add it to the official project feature requests list on sourceforge.net. The (rather large) Feature Request thread should mention the full link on sourceforge but it's easy to find.

If they are really building every time the chart is displayed, that's a bug, and can be added to the official bug list, also on sourceforge.net.

Quote:
  • Where can I find an explanation for the configuration options under 'Vector Charts' (espacially for 'SCAMIN' and 'ATON labels')?
You'd have to look at S57 or ENC chart docs - several have been posted and I am not the best person to answer. A quick google of S57 scamin aton shows this as a possible answer source: http://www.agc.army.mil/echarts/inla...deEdition4.pdf

Mark
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:26   #140

Question

Hi Mark,

thanks for your helpful reply.

Before posting unnescessary feature requests on Sourceforge one more question:

While cruising a certain area I keep updating my charts (e.g. draw a new/ missing buoy). As far as I see there aren't all (used in the chart) kind of marks available. Am I right?

I would find it helpful if the missing ones would/ could also be added.

Gunther
Old 03-02-2010, 11:46   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsurfer View Post
While cruising a certain area I keep updating my charts (e.g. draw a new/ missing buoy). As far as I see there aren't all (used in the chart) kind of marks available. Am I right?
Hi Gunther, yeah, I'm sure not all are there. AFAIK, it'd be impossible since different charting organizations and chart types have different nomenclature. However you can add custom icons to the standard opencpn install that fit your needs. There was a recent post about adding these custom .xbm files.

I don't know the history, though, of what's there and why, or if some key symbols are missing.

Mark
Old 07-02-2010, 07:23   #142

Hi All,

After a long absence, I am back on the forum. Some problems with the boat and some problems with internet connection...

I find a new version of Opencpn (installed from cvs) and I have seen that Dave has done the overzoom and the track (and a lot of other things). Thanks to him and to the other developers for all that. It was really missing.

I had no time to try it, but I will do soon.

I have a problem, I am not able to get french translation. I choose french in the language and it stays english, even after starting again Opencpn. Anybody can help me ?

Jean-Pierre
jpiebrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:29   #143

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Jean-Pierre, what system are you on?
Old 07-02-2010, 08:00   #144

Idpnd,,
Sorry forget to tell that.
I am with Ubuntu Karmic 32 bits
Old 07-02-2010, 10:16   #145
GDD

Currents

Hi,

I have a question about the Current arrows.

When I use the current arrows, how am i suppose to know which current speed (+ or -) represents which current direction? Is the + the current on the flood tide? Is this flood/ebb direction specified anywhere? Thanks,

George
GDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:59   #146
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wester View Post
Yes i run it on Win7 64Bit and have no problems

Leif
Does this mean that OpenCPN will not run on Win7 32 bit?

My wife is in KL, planning to buy a new netbook today/tomorrow so a quick answer would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 13:51   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbim View Post
Does this mean that OpenCPN will not run on Win7 32 bit?

My wife is in KL, planning to buy a new netbook today/tomorrow so a quick answer would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks
OpenCpn will definitely run on Win7 32 bit. It should run on any 32 bit MS Win system from win98 and after - up to and including Win7 32bit.
Old 07-02-2010, 14:14   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyches View Post
OpenCpn will definitely run on Win7 32 bit.
I can confirm this.

I've set up OCPN on three different systems (1 desktop, 1 notebook, 1 netbook) all running with Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit.

No problems at all (so far ).

Gunther
Old 08-02-2010, 10:42   #149

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpiebrig View Post
Idpnd,,
Sorry forget to tell that.
I am with Ubuntu Karmic 32 bits
Is that on French ubuntu? If not, you have to have the appropriate language packs installed as well.. Try and find them on synaptic.. Otherwise I'm out of my element
Old 08-02-2010, 11:23   #150

Idpnd,

Yes, it is on a French Ubuntu. Normally I have nothing to change.