Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2016, 10:54   #1

Grib Plugin email

Hi all. I've been trying to use either the "write and send email request" by either selecting Saildocs or Zygrib. I keep getting an error saying " There is no email program associated to perform the requested action..."
I'm running Windows 10 and have my default email set to "Mail" which I believe is the Windows mail app. Any ideas how to make the Grib plugin send an email? I'm running OpenCPN 4.0.
Head Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 08:19   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Grib Plugin email

Head Sail..
First of all you have to have an active mail program connected to a mail box. May I understand your message so that you are not using the Win10 mail program? Maybe you use your browser to see your mails, e.g. web mail? That will not work, you have to have a mail client running to get grip_pi to find a way out.
I use Win10 but not its inbound mail system so I've not much help to offer here. For my mails I use Thunderbird. Works fine with grib_pi
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 09:48   #3

Thank you Haken. I'm using Windows 10 Mail as my email client. I'd prefer not to change my mail client to Thunderbird. I guess I'll just have to copy and paste the requested data out of the Grib plugin and paste into Mail.
Old 14-01-2016, 14:47   #4

Ok.
Does other program recognize your mail client? For example select a picture file, right click and "Send to > mail recipient. Does your mail program open and create a mail then?
Håkan
Old 14-01-2016, 16:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Ok.
Does your mail program open and create a mail then?
Håkan
Yes, it opens Thunderbird because I just installed it. Figured I'd give it a try. I don't like all the adware that is suddenly popping up on screen.
Old 14-01-2016, 18:21   #6

Boat: Valiant 42

Windows 10 does not come with a mail application that the Grib plugin can talk to because it needs a MAPI interface which is no longer standard with Windows 10. This is something Microsoft did that isn't very nice IMO. There is one solution if you upgraded from an old version of Windows. The old "Windows Live Mail" program will listen to the Grib plugin and send email. The Windows 10 upgrade does not delete this program. You can use it as just a sending application for the grib plugin. But if you have a "virgin" Windows 10 installation there is no compatible mail application that Microsoft supplies.

I have read on the internet that the Thunderbird email client can be made to work. But I think you have to find mapi32.dll from somewhere and do some kludging to get it working. You might ask on a message board that has some hard core Thunderbird users to see how they make Thunderbird listen to MAPI clients like Grib plug-in.

The MAPI interface was silently hijacked by a lot of malware so Microsoft just deleted it from Windows 10. At least that was some skuttlebutt I heard about a year ago.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 00:39   #7

Dan
Thanks for your info.
I'm running W10 with Thunderbird and Grib_pi finds it nicely. My Thunderbird is out of the box only and there was no tweaking when I installed it. Now I don't know my W10 history since the PC is a used one and W10 was already installed when I got it but it comes for sure from W7, if that matters.
Håkan
Old 15-01-2016, 05:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Dan
Thanks for your info.
I'm running W10 with Thunderbird and Grib_pi finds it nicely. My Thunderbird is out of the box only and there was no tweaking when I installed it. Now I don't know my W10 history since the PC is a used one and W10 was already installed when I got it but it comes for sure from W7, if that matters.
Håkan
You might do a search for mapi32.dll. If you have that file did it come with Thunderbird or from the old Win 7 installation?
Old 15-01-2016, 09:12   #9

Dan
My search gave the result as in attached picture. I doubt they came with Thunderbird but with some Win setup or update.
As you can see all files was created/installed in Oct 30 so I think they came with a major update since Win10 was installed far before that. There are two in \System32, one in English and one in Swedish. All are initially meant for NT.
My Thunderbird was installed Oct 21 and has its own "mozMapi32.dll". Could that be the one running for T since it was working before the Windows' versions where installed/updated.
Håkan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mapi.PNG
Views:	194
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	116772  
Old 15-01-2016, 10:33   #10

Man you have a lot of those dlls. I think Grib plugin asks Windows for the MAPI COM server which is controlled through the registry. So Thunderbird may have registered its own server in the registry. If so then that's what Grib PI will use to send email.
Old 16-01-2016, 20:40   #11

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I don't think there should be a combo for GFS, RTFOS etc.. instead it needs check boxes because I usually request both GFS and RTFOS in a single email request.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 03:17   #12

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I don't think there should be a combo for GFS, RTFOS etc.. instead it needs check boxes because I usually request both GFS and RTFOS in a single email request.
I agree you should be able to combine choices but an easier solution might be to include the options in the current drop-down.

GFS
RTFOS
COAMPS
GFS, RTFOS
GFS, COAMPS
RTFOS, COAMPS
GFS, RTFOS, COAMPS

Much easier to maintain and update the list and a simple task to parse list entry when creating the email. Easy to add OSCAR at some later date.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:11   #13

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
I agree you should be able to combine choices but an easier solution might be to include the options in the current drop-down.

GFS
RTFOS
COAMPS
GFS, RTFOS
GFS, COAMPS
RTFOS, COAMPS
GFS, RTFOS, COAMPS

Much easier to maintain and update the list and a simple task to parse list entry when creating the email. Easy to add OSCAR at some later date.
As you can see there are 7 possible combinations given 3 choices. When we add a 4th choice there will now be 15 combinations.

What is wrong with check boxes?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 01:23   #14

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

Sean

How do you write the request to get both GFS and RTFOS ?
Could you give me an example ?
When I tried, I got two separate files

Thanks
Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 05:43   #15

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Interesting idea, requesting two concatenated grib files (into a single file).
Not possible as far as I can determine.
SailDocs GRIB Service/ Franks-Weather | The Weather Window

What we really need is
FS#984 : Data Support Display two grib files (Wind + Current) for effective WxRouting

also,
FS#1111 : Data Support Grib2 Format Support needed

Perhaps, these could be goals for the release after 4.2?

By the way I like the new button to turn off data below. Very nice interface now!
Big improvements from the beginning!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
email, rib, plug

« RTLSDR | Heading »