Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2010, 22:37   #61

Boat: Sweline 36
Hi Manimaul

I have figured it out. For some reason, I had both python 2.8 and 2.6 installed. After uninstalling 2.6 everything worked perfectly.

Thanks for your help, and fore a great piece of software.

Regards
Keneu
Keneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 13:12   #62

windows?

still no Winows verison on it's way?

I'm running Ubuntu and are happy, but my dad INSISTS on Windows....
frankive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:37   #63

when i'm not moving gippy will show "GPS no data" and there is no information in the program.
I can understsand that the speed are showing N/A, but the same goes for latitude and longitude.

I have to restart gippy to make it receive data again. OpenCpn is running fine during this behavior.

Ubuntu 10.4
frankive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 00:04   #64

frankive,

I suspect that Opencpn and Gippy are trying to be connected to the gps at the same time. You will need to connect Gippy to the gps and Opencpn to the virtual gps provided by Gippy.
Old 04-09-2010, 21:26   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
You forgot an improvement....

Windows compatible

I've started to work on this. The majority of the code will stay the same. COM ports are handled differently, so I have some work to do to make WinGippy work as a GPS data repeater.

I'll post as soon as it is finished.
Old 04-09-2010, 22:37   #66

Gippy + Windows = this I like!
vedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 23:37   #67

Me Too !!!!

tebsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:44   #68

Hello everyone. I subscribed to this forum after i found this little tech wonder: -Gippy. According to everyone's reviews and comments it sounds great, however, no matter how hard i tried (and i really did, several times) i can't get it to work with my gpsmap 60csx. I'm a absolute linux user for several years but unfortunately I've been forced to maintain a win partition only for navigation purposes. This program would really help me to finally trow away that infamous OS.
I use garmin_gps module to get my unit recognized, and i use gpsd with success for several applications. However all my efforts to make Gippy work revealed themselves useless. The most recent version doesn't run cause i don't have Qt 4.6 and i don't plan on installing it so far on my ubuntu 9.10 but the earlier ones run ok however without receiving anything from my ttyUSB port . Maybe for the same reason i also can't use any of those python gps servers found on the net to connect to Google Earth because they also can't read anything from the device.
Help anyone......?
mariobfelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:47   #69

garmin

Many of the Garmin gps receivers don't output standard NMEA gps data. They use a proprietary data transmission protocol. If I remember correctly, Gpsd reads from Garmin gps' and so can OpenCPN. Gippy does not speak Garmin at this point. I will consider adding this as a feature perhaps. For now I'm working on a cross platform version in C++. So, don't hold your breath.

Thanks,

Will

ps - Gippy uses WXWidgets
Old 03-10-2010, 08:11   #70

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
I've started to work on this. The majority of the code will stay the same. COM ports are handled differently, so I have some work to do to make WinGippy work as a GPS data repeater.

I'll post as soon as it is finished.
I approve this message!
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 14:20   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
Many of the Garmin gps receivers don't output standard NMEA gps data. They use a proprietary data transmission protocol. If I remember correctly, Gpsd reads from Garmin gps' and so can OpenCPN. Gippy does not speak Garmin at this point. I will consider adding this as a feature perhaps. For now I'm working on a cross platform version in C++. So, don't hold your breath.

Thanks,

Will

ps - Gippy uses WXWidgets
Thanks
However, my garmin gpsmap 60csx is suppose to be able to switch the data interface to several modes like: Garmin (proprietary), NMEA In/Out (0183 version 3.01) and also Text out (ASCII) I've tried all of them with no luck. Is it possible that gippy doesn't handle NMEA 0183 v3.01? In addition to all this i can also configure the NMEA sentences separating GSA+GSV, WPL+RTE and also garmin sentences or even APB for auto-pilot. I can also change the precision of lat/long minutes. I've tried all possible config and nothing. Can you give me a light on this please? Maybe it's a problem with the suported sentences? I've already matched the speed of the unit with gippy, I'm running out of ideas....
Old 03-10-2010, 15:19   #72

Ok i'm sorry, i found the problem. In spite there is a selectable output format this only changes the output of my unit serial port. This unit has a usb port and also a serial port included in the power supply plug. So no mater how i changed the settings my usb cable would always send garmin proprietary protocol.
Solution: use the serial port and buy a usb-serial adpater.

Thanks for the help, and good luck developing gippy, it looks like a great peace of software, very handy for marine applications. All linux mariners appreciate your effort.
Old 18-11-2010, 20:59   #73

Windows Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
I approve this message!
OK, it's been a while but I just finished a Windows port of Gippy. I re-named it MatrixMariner GPS because the Windows version turned out so significantly different. Windows requires a kernel mode virtual com port driver to share gps over virtual com ports... so, since this cost lots of money for 64bit version driver signing... virtual com port GPS sharing is disabled on 64 bit machines.

Screenshots below are on Windows 7 64bit. MatrixMarinerGPS can share it's gps as a tcp service which Coastal Explorer can connect to.

Anyhow, feel free to test it out. It's a beta!

http://http://matrixmariner.com/mmg

Old 19-11-2010, 06:02   #74

MMG Page:
matrixmariner.com/mmg

MMG Download:
MMGSetup-1.0beta.exe
Old 20-11-2010, 02:34   #75

Boat: spray 45
New to this forum, loves Opencpn and now with MMG its complete! .
Works like a dream once I found the Vspe files in the mmgps directory.
Only a feew notes. In the heading/corse field it would be good if you could turn of decimals and skip N,SW etc. this info makes the MMG box longer than it needs to be.
Also on my computer running W7 32bit the settings for virtual comports is not saved and the pos of the MMG box is not saved.

Thank you all in the Opencpn team and Manimaul for all your work!

Johan
jlsail is offline   Reply With Quote