Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2015, 08:04   #91
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Free Android OpenCPN new download location. OpenCPNce help needed.

As Dave is offline and just to make the picture a bit more complete here what he announced two days ago on the parallel commercial thread here at CF

Quote:
Hello OpenCPN for Android supporters...

Well, we're back!

All administrative and licensing issues with Google Play Store seem to be resolved.

It turns out that the recommended Play Store licensing strategy is indeed, according to Google, incompatible with GPLv2. They don't exactly say this anywhere in the terms, and their feedback/support is very vague. But that is the cryptic signal that I got from their support team.

I think this subject is debatable.

But Google owns the Store, so in this case their interpretation trumps any other. Thus I removed the Play Store Licensing checks from OpenCPN for Android.

There was no issue with app naming collision as I first thought. Just a suspicious timing coincidence.
So the app name is now OpenCPN again. Hopefully the revised icons will alleviate any user confusion.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 22:31   #92

I was about to try the free version, mainly to test it out on my hardware, but I noticed one very important (to me ) difference. In the free version, the required permissions include my identity, whereas Dave's version does not. Can the packager of the free version answer this? Why do you need to know this?
Hunter30 #22
mjf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 14:00   #93

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Yens ...

Who are you ?
- For example, are you a developer plugins OpenCPN?
- Or one of those who, without having developed a plugin, has provided solutions that have helped to change OpenCPN?
- Or are you just someone who has computer knowledge, and comes "flex its muscles"?
- Or ... ?

Best regards, Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 14:05   #94

Mark, the current free version doesn't require these permissions anymore.

The previous free version was based on a previous paid-for version by Dave who requested and used these permissions to access your Google account and implement a copy protection scheme. In the free version, this code has always been disabled and your identity or accounts were never accessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf55 View Post
I was about to try the free version, mainly to test it out on my hardware, but I noticed one very important (to me ) difference. In the free version, the required permissions include my identity, whereas Dave's version does not. Can the packager of the free version answer this? Why do you need to know this?
Yens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:43   #95

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Yens,

I supported OpenCPN since January 2010 . I have spent many hours working with a colleague at first, then only later, writing a tutorial in French that talks about OpenCPN. Moreover, I discovered and reported numerous bugs. I conducted many tests. I consider, therefore, have the right to be respected by the stakeholders on this forum.

I feel that you owe us an answer to my previous post, I remind you:

"
Hello Yens ...

Who are you ?
- For example, are you a developer plugins OpenCPN?
- Or one of those who, without having developed a plugin, has provided solutions that have helped to change OpenCPN?
- Or are you just someone who has computer knowledge, and comes "flex its muscles"?
- Or ... ?

Best regards, Gilletarom.
"

So sorry to insist. Your registration under this pseudonym date there which months only. Who are you ?

And I add: "Have you brought something to OpenCPN OpenCPN from there?

Best regards. Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 16:17   #96

Yens, Thanks for the update. I did download it the day after my post and noticed that it not longer asked for access to my identity and also noticed it was a newer version. So that makes sense to me. However, I ran into a problem where it does not show my charts, and the log shows this error :
chart database Update Error: Failed to set temporary file permissions (error 1: Operation not permitted).

I do not know where to ask for help on this free version. I do not think that Dave will look into this issue unless it is on the his version.

So, is there a separate forum where the free community version can be discussed and supported?
Hunter30 #22
mjf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 16:47   #97

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello Yens,
I feel that you owe us an answer to my previous post
You're not the only one who is waiting for an answer to that question.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:24   #98

Boat: vd Stadt 44, Ben the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
I feel that you owe us an answer to my previous post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
You're not the only one who is waiting for an answer to that question.
We all know we won't get an answer so lets just ignore this person, he's getting attention enough.

Bart
champ8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 20:18   #99

Mark, this sounds like a problem writing to a FAT formatted memory card (probably within the underlying wxWidgets library). Can you try moving your charts to internal memory and post a full log if this doesn't help?

Just post your questions here on the OpenCPN forum as you would do for your PC, Mac or Linux app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf55 View Post
I ran into a problem where it does not show my charts, and the log shows this error :
chart database Update Error: Failed to set temporary file permissions (error 1: Operation not permitted).

I do not know where to ask for help on this free version. I do not think that Dave will look into this issue unless it is on the his version.

So, is there a separate forum where the free community version can be discussed and supported?
Yens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 05:40   #100

Boat: Robert 35 Centre Cockpit

Can we still get a copy of the OpenCPN.apk or is it only via the Google Playstore?
yachtmanforfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, loa, opencpn