Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-07-2012, 08:57   #1171

Boat: Sailboat
Re: Feature Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperWe View Post
Unfortunately there is no features in wxWidgets for a user configurable toolbar, and creating support for this is a lot of work.
This is unfortunate.... The hide-able "print", "track", and the plug-in icons made me believe otherwise.

Quote:
However, in the next release (and the current beta), you are able to use my UI Style features to hide certain icons in a style. So given that you don't need to modify it too often you can now do this. (See [3.1 Beta only!] User Interface Styles | Official OpenCPN Homepage)
Thanks, I used the <hide-in-toolbar/>tag to hide tide and current (not needed in the Great Lakes).

Not a nice way of doing it, and having to restart opencpn, but it works.

Good enough for me... Thanks!

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 10:55   #1172

Re: Feature Requests, Display Loran TD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve232 View Post
Great software, I've been running it in along with a commercial package.

But, I'm having trouble getting my head around the lat/lon thing. Fishing in the NE USA, we use Loran TD's. It's a hard habit to break after 40 years of "fishing the edge of the ledge around the 13520".

It would be nice if the loran display feature could be added. We likely will use them until the MFG's stop offering the option in the equipment they sell!

Thanks
Steve
Not exactly what you want, but maybe still helpful...

Most NOAA raster charts for that area do show Loran TDs. This screenshot is from chart 13325_1.kap and does show TD 5930-X-13520.

Charts available (free) here:
Chart Downloader for NOAA RNC&#174

Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TD-13520.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	43740  
Old 19-07-2012, 13:08   #1173

Boat: Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
This is unfortunate.... The hide-able "print", "track", and the plug-in icons made me believe otherwise.
Thanks for spoiling my evening

Of course that sounds really ugly, doesn't it... So I decided it had to change and did it better. Button visibility will become configurable through a context menu. But don't come asking about moving buttons around next.

And BTW, <hide-in-toolbar> dies as a consequence of this.
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 13:15   #1174

Quote:

Of course that sounds really ugly, doesn't it... So I decided it had to change and did it better. Button visibility will become configurable through a context menu. But don't come asking about moving buttons around next.

Old 20-07-2012, 07:13   #1175

Boat: Hunter 310,
Re: Feature Requests

I have been developing additional features for personal use on top of OpenCPN for a couple of years mainly because I developed some hardware to consolidate all the NMEA/Seatalk data on a network aboard my boat.

Since the communications changes are unique to me I have never bothered trying to roll it back in to the main build but my changes are dotted all over. Having worked on this and through a few version updates of OpenCPN it strikes me that it may be worthwhile moving the comms side of things, autopilot support etc to plugins. This would mean that adding support for a particular product or manufacturer would never interfere with an existing one and that we would not have to pile them all on top of each other in one module.

Let me know what you think, I would be happy to do/participate in the dev work if needed.

Regards

Jon
JonPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 07:22   #1176
Marine Service Provider

jon....

Welcome aboard. I'm glad you have been able to adapt O to your particular environment, and you can get some value from it.

We are shortly going to roll out a major rework of the comm's interface to OpenCPN. Probably break all your work.

But, that would be a good time to incorporate some of the modularization that you indicate. Please stay tuned as this come up in the next week or so. We would be more than happy to have you join the dev team.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 09:23   #1177

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Hi Jon. I, for one, would LOVE to have a SeaTalk interface in OCPN. The silly SeaTalk to NMEA converters from Raymarine seem to be extremely sensitive to RF (or something) as I've blown up 2 of them now (@$180 each...) despite ferrites on all lines.
Old 20-07-2012, 09:24   #1178

Thanks Dave,

I have sailed over 400 miles using O and my electronics, a great combination.

I will keep an eye out for posts on this subject.

Regards

Jon
Old 20-07-2012, 09:34   #1179
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jon-
Unlikey that RF would blow out a converter, but simple electrical spikes would do that. A normal starter can throw 600 volt spikes, a bigger diesel over 2000 volts, during normal starting. Ferrites won't help that, you might look into spike protection on your electronics.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 10:39   #1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Jon-
.....you might look into spike protection on your electronics.
Yeah, Raymarine should have done that. I also killed two seatalk<->nmea converters (E85001). Then I bought a brookhouse nmea multiplexer with seatalk. Works since 2008.

We might be slightly off-topic... To get back to it: I would love to see seatalk, seatalk-ng, seatalk-hs/nmea2000 integration into opencpn. For some we will need some extra HW.

Dirk
Old 20-07-2012, 13:32   #1181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Hi Jon. I, for one, would LOVE to have a SeaTalk interface in OCPN. The silly SeaTalk to NMEA converters from Raymarine seem to be extremely sensitive to RF (or something) as I've blown up 2 of them now (@$180 each...) despite ferrites on all lines.
I have one but haven't installed it yet, good info that they are sensitive, I will check that there are some surge devices that might protect that a bit more.
Old 21-07-2012, 01:54   #1182

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:

I don't think it's a good idea to allow the MOB button to become invisible, for obvious reasons.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 04:49   #1183

Boat: Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to allow the MOB button to become invisible, for obvious reasons.
Good point, but I can also see many installations where this button has no use what so ever. So I made it a little stickier:

JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 13:17   #1184

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Good point, but I can also see many installations where this button has no use what so ever. So I made it a little stickier:
OpenCPN ....
Quote:
is designed to be used continuously at the helm station of an underway ship or boat.
I can't see any good reason, from this perspective, to even make it possible, not to display the MOB button. When you need it, you may have very little choice, and the button must be instantly accessible.
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 06:22   #1185

Boat: spray 45

Hi
Do you think its possible to have a connection from the raymarine lifetag system to trigger the MOB function in Opencpn? would have been great since all other Mob systems is a little to bulky for my likeing, You can wear a lifetag pendant even when you are of watch. For the personal ais system you need to wear the lifejacket.

cheers
Johan
jlsail is offline   Reply With Quote