Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-03-2013, 20:57   #1396

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Feature Requests

I think this can be done with xwd or scrot, but it would still be necessary to direct OpenCPN to display a single vector chart limiting the scale so the "correct" size fills the window.
carlspackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 08:46   #1397

Boat: 29'

wanted: for waypoint visibility-toggling in route-manager, a crossed-out eyeball instead of the blank...the eyeball-crossed-out icon is being used for waypoint and routes now so it's a little inconsistent to have just a blank for waypoints?...
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 19:44   #1398

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37
Active Bearing Lines

I would like to see a feature that allowed multiple bearing lines from the current ships position to fixed points on the chart. As the ship moves, the range and bearing to each point is updated and shown on the display.

I would think being able to show 3 of these simultaneously would be sufficient. I use them for a couple purposes. I've used them with other software in the past to easily compare my radar display to the chart I'm using to verify that the chart is accurate. I've also used them to determine when I can tack while sailing and clear a point of land or other obstruction.

I envision this feature being implemented by right clicking on the ships position and a menu pops up saying "Create Active Bearing Line" selecting that and then clicking on a position on the chart creates the line that is displayed. To clear an active bearing line, right click on the bearing line and a menu pops up with the selection "Delete Active Bearing Line".
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 04:18   #1399

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I think there has been a request (Tore, comes to mind) if we could develop this kind of Dead Reckoning tool (and others). I also would like that, but have been using very short routes as a work around, but your suggestion would be easier. There should be other DR tools not associated with the boat directly.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 13:06   #1400

KAP FILE AVAILABILITY & DISTRIBUTION

Is there any reason why KAP files developed by individuals cannot be collected and indexed in a central source i.e. DEPOSIT FILES for example.

Creating KAP files from scratch is not a simple task even for individuals who are computer proficient. Fore the vast majority of users of OPENCPN it is a technically frustrating if not impossible task.

Why should users keep re-creating the wheel i.e. if a user produces a KAP FILE or files for a particular area what is the point in other users re-creating the same file over and over again.

The answer is to have a central point where individuals can send their KAP files and other users can then access them.

A simple – useful and logical development that will help everyone.

Please vote for this if you would support the development of a KAP file repository and then maybe one of the computer guru’s will take up this suggestion and implement it.
dougwm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 16:41   #1401
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougwm10 View Post

Is there any reason why KAP files developed by individuals cannot be collected and indexed in a central source i.e. DEPOSIT FILES for example.

There are copyright and patent issues. You can create them for your own use, but if you distribute them (even for free) you are violating patent laws.

This has been discussed in various BYOC threads.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 17:31   #1402

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougwm10 View Post

Creating KAP files from scratch is not a simple task even for individuals who are computer proficient. Fore the vast majority of users of OPENCPN it is a technically frustrating if not impossible task.
I wrote a procedure for creating KAP charts using OpenCPN and GE2KAP in the hope that it would not be "a technically frustrating if not impossible task." It is here. You can download a Word document of that procedure.

BTW this thread is appropriate for the forum Google Earth to BSB/KAP.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 11:39   #1403

Safety: MOB tool button always at end of the bar

As a safety feature, should the MOB toolbar button be in the same location at all times? On the end of the toolbar, so you can get to it without thinking or hunting.

Having it always appear in the same location will cut down on any delay during a high stress circumstance.
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 09:28   #1404

Boat: 29'

good idea,dave777. It should be the first button, on the left (or top).
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 00:28   #1405

Feature Requests

I would be nice to have chart correction feature in OpenCPN. For example dialog window with bouys and other navigational marks and put it on specific position. Let´s think about
useris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 06:04   #1406

Global settings for units, passed to plugins too. Right now plugins each have their own configs. Write it once.
Old 27-03-2013, 06:21   #1407

yes it is high time to do in the program setting global parameters including the metric system of measurement.
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 06:52   #1408

Baikal, there probably isn't enough programming talent for all that is needed to be done. It is very incredible what does get done! Wish I were able....
Old 27-03-2013, 09:21   #1409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
yes it is high time to do in the program setting global parameters including the metric system of measurement.
Out of curiousity why?

Aside from depths (which may be metric or fathoms and feet) all other measurements are nautical: distances, speeds, wind speeds, current speeds, etc..
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 10:40   #1410

Boat: Phantom 19

Jack...
For example the people using European inland waterways would appreciate metric units...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote