Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 11:06   #16
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Chart updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloriax View Post
yes of course there is...with Russians cm93's .....
In the "after Snowden" epoch I would not bet on beating Russians
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:11   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Can you suggest another charting program or chartplotter that provides updated free world charts? Or a country that provides free paper charts?

You shouldn't talk about things you don't understand (heard that one somewhere…).

Mark
no I do not know, don't care who provide what for free , I am buying paper charts and using euronavs seapro plus with euronav livecharts.

if I can not afford or one day I will not be able to afford "those things" I would not start looking for free lunch, I would sell the boat and took gardening or dog walking
gloriax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 13:23   #18

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I don't understand you. You claim OpenCPN is useless outside the US, then bcn gives you a list of chart formats that work with OpenCPN - including up-to-date current charts for much of the world. Then you become fixated only on what is free or pirated on OpenCPN and not what charts you can buy to work on it. Then claim you will buy paper charts instead.

Did you even understand bcn's post?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 14:11   #19

Boat: Heritage 35

Well I just completed a cruise in Ireland, Scotland and Norway using ocpn cm93 and navionics no issues and no disernable differences. So would say OCPN not useless at all. However no one forces you to use either go with what makes you happy.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 14:24   #20

There is never an easy answer to what is good and what is bad... Generally one needs to carry on with what is available.

Just 2 shots of the same part of Selat Bangka with a track recorded in OCPN.
CM93 and newest S57 in OCPN (Euronav will not import my GPX, sorry).

This is a busy shipping area. The shore line and nav marks differ by some 1.5 mile. My memory would certainly vote for CM, but then S57 is just General coverage, nothing better available there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selat_Bangka_CM_S.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	69970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selat_Bangka_S57_S.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	69971  

PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 14:43   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
Well I just completed a cruise in Ireland, Scotland and Norway using ocpn cm93 and navionics no issues and no disernable differences. So would say OCPN not useless at all. However no one forces you to use either go with what makes you happy.
Yes, with what charts... ocpn with cm93/2 three years old. Or with those British, Duch, Belgian raster from 1989 that you can even download with emule.

Try using OCPN in the Mediterranean, France, Italy, Croatia, Spain, Greece.....etc. etc. You can with cm93/2 and German raster from 1995

but try to get above mentioned countries latest vector or raster charts for OCPN and you will se how (crap) useless it is.

as I said before, outside USA and two three other countries OCPN is wasting of space on pc/laptop, you liked it or not.
I am still waiting to se anyone in the med (Italians. Croats, Greeks, Spaniards) using ocpn in the med apart Americans and few other "free lunch" chasers.
Old 06-11-2013, 15:53   #22

So you are willing to pay for electronic charts, but not a charting program? OpenCPN is a free program developed by cruisers in their spare time. They have come a long way quickly with it and are adding charting formats as fast as they can. You talk bad about it like it was forced on you and you have no other choice. If you can't wait for your S63 charts, pony up some money for a commercial program that takes them now.

Don't bad mouth and offend cruisers trying to contribute something to the community. That is just bad manners and a bad neighbor. What have you contributed to the cruising community?

Also don't assume that everyone using it are "free lunch chasers". I have 4 charting programs I paid for, along with OCPN, as well as paid charts. It sounds to me like you are sour because you are not getting a free lunch.

For what it's worth, I have used OpenCPN for 20-30 countries with no problems. You don't know what you are talking about there. Like bcn tried to tell you, NV, BSB4, S57 etc formats are available now and S63 is in the works.

Now go on the GE2BSB thread and rip Paul open for his pathetic free contributions.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 06-11-2013, 16:32   #23
cruiser

Quote:
So you are willing to pay for electronic charts, but not a charting program?

Mark
Reed posts properly, last few years I am using Euronavs Seapro Plus, before that I had (still have) Maptech chart navigator pro before that Garmin bluechart Atlantic.
regarding OCPN I am still behind my words, outside USA or few other countries totally useless. for example, this summer i spend two months cruising Adriatic mostly Croatia but did bit of Italy. what i will or could do there with OCPN...nothing, useless. Can I install Croatian vector charts, no. Can I install Italian vector charts, no...what we are then talking about.

ok, I am living in East Molesey. tell mi how I will get to Croatia, Italy Greece etc. from London, with OCPN, only using cm93/2011 or some dodgy raster charts last time updated 15 years ago. literary OCPN if you wont updated charts is worthless

2011 cm93 and euronavs live charts 2013 of the copperas channel (Thames estuary)

spot the difference

or compare your OCPN "charts" with this one..

2012 UKHO NtM
Old 07-11-2013, 06:21   #24

You are missing the point. You are railing against a free open-source program written by cruising sailors in their free time who wish to provide a service to their community.

It has been stated above that they are working hard to include S63 charting formats, which will solve your local problem.

Why you are blasting this work and these people's time and effort is beyond me. You come across as blaming them for your location and timing problems. Again, what have you contributed free to the cruising community at large?

And here is the kicker - OpenCPN is open-source and will take contributions from anyone who wants to contribute to it. So get on it. Solve the very problems you are complaining so much about. We will all thank you, and you will have finally contributed something here.

Again, don't call me a liar just because you refuse to believe that I have used OpenCPN using up-to-date charts in many more countries than "3 or 4" or a "few other countries".

Mark

Old 07-11-2013, 07:08   #25
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:

2011 cm93 and euronavs live charts 2013 of the copperas channel (Thames estuary)

]2012 UKHO NtM[/URL]
Why not buy some up to date charts?

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/charts-for-opencpn.asp
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:23   #26

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
You shouldn't talk about things you don't understand (heard that one somewhere…).

Mark
If everyone followed that rule the Internet would be awfully quiet. Not much danger of that happening, though.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:38   #27

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Try using OCPN in the Mediterranean, France, Italy, Croatia, Spain, Greece.....etc. etc. You can with cm93/2 and German raster from 1995

but try to get above mentioned countries latest vector or raster charts for OCPN and you will se how (crap) useless it is.

as I said before, outside USA and two three other countries OCPN is wasting of space on pc/laptop, you liked it or not.
I am still waiting to se anyone in the med (Italians. Croats, Greeks, Spaniards) using ocpn in the med apart Americans and few other "free lunch" chasers.
It sounds like your complaint is with the countries that don't provide charts OpenCPN can read rather than with the program. Have you contacted the charting authorities in those countries asking them to make charts available for OpenCPN users in the interest of greater maritime safety?

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:56   #28
Marine Service Provider

Mark, fgd3, etc....

Thanks for the good words of support. Enough said, I think. I guess one vocal dissatisfied user out of more than 200,000 downloads isn't bad.

Gloriax....
Ding ding. Thanks for playing. Try again later if you like.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 14:03   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Mark, fgd3, etc....

I guess one vocal dissatisfied user out of more than 200,000 downloads isn't bad.

Gloriax....
Ding ding. Thanks for playing. Try again later if you like.

Dave
ahahaa, divide that 200,000 downloads with 200.

yes, yes, 200,000 because it is for free, and a lot of people will eat **** if they can get it for free. try to charge $10 for each download, not to mention $ 100 and then come with numbers..

same person can download 100 OCPNs and they do that and than they come with question "how to install OCPN on my wife's vibrator". I personally downloaded OCPN maybe 50 times just to mess around. if I have to pay ONE dollar for it I would not download single one.

I wonder how many users in the Europe you have.
Old 07-11-2013, 14:15   #30
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

No pissing contest here...

(There are no public statistics how may pleasure boats are on the water neither - but I met always people that are using OpenCPN or are curious about it)

Btw. Greetings from Europe, some 1500nm in the Med this summer - Catalonia, Balears, Sardinia. OpenCPN and Navionics charts on the plotter - we are more confortable with O

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote