Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 14:16   #31
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloriax View Post

I wonder how many users in the Europe you have.
Lots!

Could you explain why you are ranting about a very capable piece of opensource software to rival some high end commercial offerings when it's actually the restrictive electronic charting encryption techniques you appear to have issues with?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 14:26   #32

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Chart updates?

gloriax...
I suppose you didn't take the time to have a look at Download Statistics: opencpn, but your numbers are sure better, where do they come from, please?
BTW, having spent almost my whole sailing life in the Med, I wonder if that Croatia you are talking about, unsailable without the latest charts, is the same one I have been sailing in. Where I was, finding an unmarked rock that a sane person could hit was like looking for a Unicorn... I also wonder which "official" charts are any good in the Venice lagoon, for example - I will certainly keep visiting the bookshop in Santa Croce to buy that chart looking like drawn by kids while there... And going further south, which charts for Albania would you recommend as good and up to date? There was no survey since the minesweeping operations after WW2 there.

Anyway to each his own, wish you safe sailing

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 14:30   #33
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Lots!

Could you explain why you are ranting about a very capable piece of opensource software to rival some high end commercial offerings when it's actually the restrictive electronic charting encryption techniques you appear to have issues with?
Obviously we would like to see people to urge their HO's (Hydrographic Offices) to revise their policy with respect to the non comercial users of their charts.
UKHO is not the most incomprehensive one. SHOM will need a lot of knocking at the door from boaters in France for sure.
And Australia is another candidate.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 14:53   #34
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post

Obviously we would like to see people to urge their HO's (Hydrographic Offices) to revise their policy with respect to the non comercial users of their charts.
UKHO is not the most incomprehensive one. SHOM will need a lot of knocking at the door from boaters in France for sure.
And Australia is another candidate.
NTM's issued as. Kml's would be nice as well while they're at it

Shan't hold my breath.....
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 15:43   #35
cruiser

o.k. people, you won. my sincere apologies if i offended anyone

OCPN rules the waves
gloriax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 20:16   #36

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, gloriax, I've been using cm93 and O for some years now in the south pacific, and it seems to be pretty damn good. The Australian coverage is frequently updated (at least by my standards) and the New Caledonian coverage is excellent as well. Vanuatu isn't so hot, but then the paper charts there are not either! All in all for a charting system available to all for free it is fantastic.

Your calling it useless is more a reflection on you than on OCPN!

So, yeah, you offended me and I'm unconvinced as to the sincerity of your apology FWIW. But I don't really care about your petty and obviously uninformed gripes and so will continue to be happy with the efforts of the OCPN developers. Thanks once again to you all.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-11-2013, 02:13   #37

Boat: Nidelv 28, 28ft
Send a message via Skype™ to HotRod

Quote:

I wonder how many users in the Europe you have.
I can tell you that there are 936 registered users in Norway alone. I don't count actual downloads.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:22   #38
bcn

Downloads from Norway (3.2.2 only): 1.848 - from 106.145 total

How many non registered users do you think are there?
And how do people register - out of curiousity?

Hubert
Old 09-11-2013, 07:08   #39
Marine Service Provider

Hubert....

We don't actually have a global "registration" process for OCPN.

We intentionally avoided any sort of "call-back" installation scheme, or the like, in order to allow immediate re-installation or migration of a crashed system while at sea.

So we will have no accurate way to know how many of the OCPN downloads are installed and in use. We estimate....

Maybe we could institute a voluntary registration scheme of some benign sort, just to get some auditable numbers.

How do our loyal and reliable users feel about that?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:16   #40

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Dave, while it might give the hardworking development team some warm fuzzies, I really don't see any particular benefit from such a scheme. If there is a demonstrable benie, I'd be happy to register!

I wouldn't let one disgruntled poster drive much of a response. You have far too many happy users to let him upset anything.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-11-2013, 07:33   #41

Boat: BENETEAU

To Dave and the team,

OpenCpn have a large number of followers and I far as I know most of them are pleased the way it work.

We will not leave a "grumpy" man to bother you (us).

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:29   #42
bcn

Dave,

no call for registration from my side. Just interest to hear how this is working in Norway.

The ratio between (registered) users and downloads looks logical so we might guess that we talk about 50.000+ users. Not bad.

1 permil unhappy users would make up 50. 49 too much. One we need of course - we are not in paradise

Hubert
Old 09-11-2013, 09:26   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hubert....

We don't actually have a global "registration" process for OCPN.

We intentionally avoided any sort of "call-back" installation scheme, or the like, in order to allow immediate re-installation or migration of a crashed system while at sea.

So we will have no accurate way to know how many of the OCPN downloads are installed and in use. We estimate....

Maybe we could institute a voluntary registration scheme of some benign sort, just to get some auditable numbers.

How do our loyal and reliable users feel about that?

Dave

ahahaaa of course they are against any registration, who is mad enough to register each and every time to download OCPN, only if one registration is valid for unlimited numbers of downloading, maybe. I would like to see moron who is going to download OCPN 100 times and for every new registration he need new email .

I am for registration, each time when you wont to download OCPN you have to register with new account. I support that

by the way, start charging $10, not to mention $50, for each download, then I would like to see comments of OCPN fierce supporters.
gloriax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:32   #44

Boat: Phantom 19

gloriax...
You are getting more and more cunstructive, nice to see.

Cheers

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 23:42   #45

Boat: Gulfstar ketch, 44' sv Sisiutl

Quote:
You can not update OCPN charts even if you wont. outside USA OCPN is quite useless. in the usa you have free charts that ocpn support rest or 99.9% is cm93, 3 years old (as far as I know last cm93/2 "issue" is December 2011) or raster charts last time updated in 1998.
'OpenCPN useless outside US" Where do you get that? I have used it for years and sll outside the US. The CM93 charts are so accurate that they showed me exactly on top the mooring balls on the Great Barrier Reef. Similar accuracy all thru New Zealand. In places where the charts are off it is due to the base data being inaccurate so ALL charts will be off by the same amount. In those cases the OpenCPN chart offset brings everything back to being accurate. OpenCPN with CM93 charts are the only electronic navigation I have used for years in the Pacific and SE Asia. Don't badmouth an excellent package.