Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2012, 10:04   #1

Can Someone Help Compile on Raspberry Pi ?

Hi.
I managed to get opencpn to compile on my Raspberry pi but I can't get it to run. I'm not really a programmer but I am also not a complete linux noob. When I try to run it I get the disclaimer message box and then:

Warning: No handler found for image type.
17:58:47: Debug: ../src/gtk/bitmap.cpp(444): assert "image.Ok()" failed in CreateFromImage(): invalid image
../src/gtk/bitmap.cpp(444): assert "image.Ok()" failed in CreateFromImage(): invalid image
Trace/breakpoint trap

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. I am guessing I might be missing an image library or summat. Bear in mind that it takes about 5 hours to compile on a Raspi so trying things out can be a little tedious! Any ideas. I would be interested to see how slow it is. (Very I suspect).
jimseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 10:53   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Can someone help compile on Raspberry Pi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimseng View Post
Hi.
I managed to get opencpn to compile on my Raspberry pi but I can't get it to run. I'm not really a programmer but I am also not a complete linux noob. When I try to run it I get the disclaimer message box and then:

Warning: No handler found for image type.
17:58:47: Debug: ../src/gtk/bitmap.cpp(444): assert "image.Ok()" failed in CreateFromImage(): invalid image
../src/gtk/bitmap.cpp(444): assert "image.Ok()" failed in CreateFromImage(): invalid image
Trace/breakpoint trap

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. I am guessing I might be missing an image library or summat. Bear in mind that it takes about 5 hours to compile on a Raspi so trying things out can be a little tedious! Any ideas. I would be interested to see how slow it is. (Very I suspect).
That looks like a WxWidgets problem.
Did you compile yourself?
Which version?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 03:02   #3

Re: Can someone help compile on Raspberry Pi?

Yes I did compile myself using the instructions as set out on the developer compile help page.
git clone git://opencpn.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/opencpn/opencpn is where I got the source. It seemed to compile ok but as I said took 5 hours on the Raspberry Pi. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 15-06-2012, 03:32   #4

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Can Someone Help Compile on Raspberry Pi ?

jimseng...
Thomas was asking about the wxWidgets toolkit - not OpenCPN itself. The error you are getting suggests your wxGTK is not able to handle images as needed.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 06:14   #5

Ah. I see.
I didn't compile wxWidgets toolkit myself, I did an apt-get as per the instructions. I followed them pretty much to the letter and apart form having to add swap space it compiled as I expected.
Old 15-06-2012, 06:29   #6
Marine Service Provider

jimseng....

I suspect the precompiled wxWidgets does not have the correct options set. You may need to compile wxWidgets yourself. If OpenCPN takes 5 hours to compile, wxWidgets could take days.....

Is there a cross-development environment that you could use for RaspberryPI?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 07:19   #7

I guess I could try to do it in a VM with qemu? I fear I am wading out of my depth however. The libwxgtk2.8-dev is supposed to be for Arm. Is that where the problem lies?
Old 15-06-2012, 10:08   #8

Boat: Journeyman

When your libwxgtk2.8-dev package was built, whoever did it specified a number of options deciding which parts of wxW to include in the build and what format the resulting libraries should be in.

If the option settings do not conform to OpenCPN requirements you need to recompile wxW yourself with the correct options. The easiest way to get this done is by using a more powerful computer, usually an Intel x86 one, for the building, but having it generate ARM code. This is called a cross compile.

I would think you are better off asking in the R-Pi forums for how to set that up.

/j
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote