Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 08:07   #2356

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m
Re: Beta Test / Technical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
I do agree to Pavel's posting.
Most APs read bearing to destination once when the accept button is pressed. Thereafter only cross tack error until coming to the end of the leg or reception of the messages ends. Then it switches to Auto. Some use RMB, some APB. Have been working for years.
Finally the new pilots are not limited to that. It was an important inconvenience.
Now they can replace the initial Bearing from waypoint to waypoint with the bearing from the current position of the ship. This allows you to resume navigation (after saving an obstacle, for example) without having to restart the route in the plotter. You already know that the old pilots do not optimize the route and take a big turn, reaching perpendicular navigation to get back on the initial line.
It is very likely that the calculation of the XTE is performed by the same autopilot based on the dynamic bearing from ship to destination waypoint, and therefore our XTE does not serve you too much ...
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:01   #2357

Boat: Phantom 19

Tehani...

Let's try it this way: Do you have an example of any autopilot that is NOT working with OpenCPN provided data, while it is working with NMEA 0183 data provided by other products, we may study? That might perhaps be a better approach than first breaking the old ones that we do know need APB and then doing something I still fail to understand and could probably also lower the mutual reluctance to understand the arguments...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:23   #2358

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Tehani...

Let's try it this way: Do you have an example of any autopilot that is NOT working with OpenCPN provided data, while it is working with NMEA 0183 data provided by other products, we may study? That might perhaps be a better approach than first breaking the old ones that we do know need APB and then doing something I still fail to understand and could probably also lower the mutual reluctance to understand the arguments...

Pavel
Not in NMEA0183 because RMB and XTE are sufficient.
I hope you understand my approach, what I want to say is that the user must be careful selecting the output sentences because there is a lot of data redundancy and useless communication time consumption.
I'm seeing that there are very experienced users here with the NMEA0183 theme, but they are not the majority of users.
My goal is to simplify things to the maximum for a "normal" sailor.
For example, my gateway does not intentionally process GSV, because I understand that it does not contain data relevant to navigation. The user does not have to configure. He does not know that this happens.
I also perform an automatic routing, seeing what data is sent by each connected device. This prevents loops, and I can switch to the GPS and / or secondary EC to secondary ones when there are timeouts or the data is not reliable.
That time in communications can be used to send or receive other more important data, or with more throughput (heading for example).
Old 04-03-2019, 10:28   #2359

Worse things happen inside Seatalk. They have several datagrams that say the same but with different resolution. A filtering should be done to choose the best data of each one.

In Seatalk yes I have to send in several formats because there are devices that only understand old datagrams.

I explore too the existence of STW in any bus. If not, i replace it with SOG information. Ray caltulates de True wind with STW exclusively. Many users do not like it.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:07   #2360

Quote:
Tehani...

Pavel
The problem is not unique when moving to N2k:
"No Navigation Data" reported when engaging Track mode - Garmin chartplotter - Printable Version
[CA] No Navigation Data message
Trouble with Sea Talking to Sea Talk Converter - Printable Version
And more...
Old 04-03-2019, 11:20   #2361

Tehani...

I will try to ask again: To connect to each of the buses you talk about you need a gateway device, hardware, no way around it. This gateway device must translate the information to the protocol the bus uses and the devices on it understand. Somehow. How is not important for OpenCPN. More than that, all of it is already done - by you, Actisense, Brookhouse, Quark, Digital Yacht, and numerous others. So where is the problem you try to address now and here?

Pavel
Old 04-03-2019, 12:00   #2362

Quote:
Tehani...
How is not important for OpenCPN. More than that, all of it is already done -

Pavel
Do not think so. It is possible that the death of the old AP also killed O slowly. I wish I was wrong.
I think O must evolve. It is never good to look at the navel and conform (as it is said here).
And it's not good that it depends totally on others. I think we must also move in that direction because it is a strategic point for O. At least there should be a very close collaboration.

I will not intervene anymore. I do not want you to waste more time.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:28   #2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehani View Post
Do not think so. It is possible that the death of the old AP also killed O slowly. I wish I was wrong.
I think O must evolve. It is never good to look at the navel and conform (as it is said here).
And it's not good that it depends totally on others. I think we must also move in that direction because it is a strategic point for O. At least there should be a very close collaboration.
I do not understand this logic, sorry. What is depend totally on others here? Using the common protocols that are created by other entities? Or not producing own hardware? Or?
What exactly it is you propose? To work with you, develop "something" doing "something" and then hope that all the industry adopts it as a new standard?
The same industry that is mostly in the NMEA cartel and their business model is not to be interoperable and try to enforce vendor lock-in from the last physical connector and cable all the way to software components, with the more enlightened part moving in the SignalK direction (which is understandable as it is completely open, free, and has a very active community behind it) for the high level communication with clients like OpenCPN, which really have no real reason to talk to the bus directly to keep with their function?

Pavel
Old 09-03-2019, 10:07   #2364

Really nice work on upcoming 5.0. I like the split screen option. I also like when I first installed and started up with my BU-353 puck, I got error messages that actually told me the commands to enter in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-opencpn.rules. Error messages with solutions are wonderful!. One issue is when using RNC, fathoms is shown on the map even though under setup "feet" is selected. Also, balloon help on tools bar would be helpful at first. Thanks for this great piece of sw!

Mark
Head Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:12   #2365

Mark...

RNC are raster charts, if the picture contains depths in Fathoms, we tell you about it, there is no way we could modify the bitmap and magically change it to contain different information...

Pavel
Old 09-03-2019, 10:20   #2366

Quote:
Mark...

RNC are raster charts, if the picture contains depths in Fathoms, we tell you about it, there is no way we could modify the bitmap and magically change it to contain different information...

Pavel

That's what I thought but under settings if could be labeled as ENC Chart Units.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:23   #2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Sail View Post
That's what I thought but under settings if could be labeled as RNC Chart Units.
No it couldn't as it is not what the setting is. It is "depth unit for everything where we have any influence on what is going to be shown".
Old 09-03-2019, 10:46   #2368

An odd thing happening with the tool bar. If I click on the routing icon (third from top), no dialog comes up but the toolbar collapses. Also, if I make another window active (like Mozilla), the toolbar disappears. If I make Opencpn active, the toolbar reappears. Running 4.99.1508

Okay, I see why the toolbar disapears, it's to make room to draw a route.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:17   #2369

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I ran across this old link about n2k ais which might be useful to someome. Perhaps tehani?
http://yachtelectronics.blogspot.com...mands.html?m=1

Also Jose there is a doitall multiplexer that includes signalk here, http://vyacht.net not to discourage your effort at all, but to broaden the discussion. Why would signalk help? Hot topic and it should all be on a different thread. Tehani would you please make a new thread for this discussion? Title it as you think appropriate.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:17   #2370

Boat: Luxe motor from 1927 30m

I experiment some with the Android version, using the layers that I create and maintain for https://www.openwaterkaart.nl.
Somehow, I can't get the multi-line texts next to the objects visible.
The first line is visible, but the second and following are not.
As I created (among others) a layer with bridge-info for the inland waters of the Netherlands and only the name of the bridge and VHF-channel is in the first line and the width and hight of the bridge are is the following lines, the users are missing out ;-)
Is this something in the configuration I should change/adapt, or is this something more people experience, and could be a bug?
I have heard of one user having the same problem with the "larger" version of OpenCPN on Windows 10, but that is something I don't experience myself.
spithost is offline   Reply With Quote