Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2014, 07:14   #406

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: 12vdc Marine Computers

I have seen a couple of projects for autopilot. I've wondered why no one has tried to build one out of a working RC flight controller (e.g. KK 2.1). Most are Atmel based and open source so modifying the code is easy. They also contain the required sensors (gyroscope, accelerometer, compass, some have GPS)

I may try it in the future if I'm ever bored.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 03:42   #407

Boat: Wasa 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkab View Post
... Every step of the process is outlined on my blog.
I just made my first Wiki entry creating a link to Matt's blog here.

I for one sometimes spend too much time looking for old posts with information. These links will help me in the future and hopefully other users aswell.

Please correct me if this already exists, and thanks Matt, for documenting the RPI and Cubietruck installations so well.

And, of course, fill in more links as needed, I know there have been other posts in the past about these installations.

/Jonas
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 17:25   #408

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Some good points about using an old laptop with Marinex and USB drives.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1664233
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:37   #409

New MK808 Dual Core Android 4.1 Mini PC
Dual Core Cortex A9 1.2 GHz Rockchip RK3066 CPU with Quad Core Mali 400 GPU
Old 23-02-2015, 20:14   #410

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Just wanted to share some information regarding monitors:

I have been searching for a monitor for my Navstation.
After trying a mockup, I decided to get a 24" on a VESA swing arm mount;
I will be able to adjust it so it can be viewed from Navstation, galley, and salon.

I chose an LG monitor based on the fact that it had: VESA mounting, an external DC power supply (19V), and a maximum power rating of 20W.

My plan was to get a Nominal 12V to 19V adapter to run the monitor.
But, emboldened by the fact that I purchased an over the counter complete coverage warranty I decided to experiment with the power supply.
I purchased a matching power connector and hooked the monitor up to a variable power supply. The monitor seems to work on any voltage between 11V and 19V with no visible problems.

I also found that true to it's specifications the monitor consumes 20W maximum, but that is at maximum brightness which is blinding (250cd/m2). At the lowest brightness (still too bright for night viewing) and with the "Response Time" feature set to off it is only consuming 6W !

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 22:10   #411

Boat: Westerly Oceandream, 35-feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post

I will be able to adjust it so it can be viewed from Navstation, galley, and salon.

I chose an LG monitor based on the fact that it had: VESA mounting, an external DC power supply (19V), and a maximum power rating of 20W.

But, emboldened by the fact that I purchased an over the counter complete coverage warranty I decided to experiment with the power supply.
I purchased a matching power connector and hooked the monitor up to a variable power supply. The monitor seems to work on any voltage between 11V and 19V with no visible problems.

I also found that true to it's specifications the monitor consumes 20W maximum, but that is at maximum brightness which is blinding (250cd/m2). At the lowest brightness (still too bright for night viewing) and with the "Response Time" feature set to off it is only consuming 6W !

Cheers,
JM.
I have an LG E2350V 23-inch monitor I have been running on 12V for the past 5 years. I has worked great. Draws about 1A at minimum brightness (too bright at night) and about 3 at max which is bright enough for daylight use. Also use an old (2009) Polywell computer that draws 1.5-2.5 amps. I could probably find something lower power for a chartplotter but I need the computer for business also. Runnig Ubuntu linux.
Subtandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 18:33   #412

Quote:

Cheers,
JM.
If the LG uses 11-19vdc why not just use your on board 12vdc system to power it? Most charge at 13.8vdc depending on batt type and regulator setting
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 18:46   #413

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
If the LG uses 11-19vdc why not just use your on board 12vdc system to power it? Most charge at 13.8vdc depending on batt type and regulator setting
That's my new plan after testing.
No point in adding the inefficiency of a converter.
The power consumption of the monitor is constant between about 11-19V.

Cheers,
JM.
Old 24-02-2015, 18:59   #414

Quote:
That's my new plan after testing.
No point in adding the inefficiency of a converter.
The power consumption of the monitor is constant between about 11-19V.

Cheers,
JM.
..were did you find the 24" lg dc monitor? I'm having trouble locating any except for industrial and mil spec ones. I'm going to build a system and use opencpn for navigation with radar and ais plugins. Untill i read your post I was thinking of modifying an ac monitor because they really only us dc anyway.
I'm tired of spending big buck for marine systems that are limited in function and obsolete within a year. I've been toying with a cheap netbook for the last two years and have found it has definate advantages over my humminbird and lowrance chart plotters like free maps that don't end! They then keep plotting but on a blank screen with no map.

Best wishges
B
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 19:08   #415

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

NahanniV - was this a LED monitor?
Quote:
Can you provide the model # and source please? Soulds like what I am looking for too.
Do you do any cushioning to prevent the pounding that invariably occurs?
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 20:18   #416

It's an LG 24M45. All the newer monitors seem to be LED back-lit.
Keep in mind there could be some unforeseen problem running it below 19V, but hopefully/probably not; I was glad to hear that Subtandard has been doing it for years.

All the LG monitors seemed to have 19V external brick power supplies and VESA mounting points.

I think it's recently discontinued, I got it on a clearance sale.
The newer ones are IPS panels and have a few degrees better viewing angle, but slightly higher power consumption.

I'm not planning to have any kind of cushioning or shock mounting.

My only complaint about this monitor is that you can't dim it enough.
You can apply night color schemes and dimming with OpenCPN, but they don't lower the power consumption any further.

Cheers,
JM.
Old 28-02-2015, 20:32   #417

Send a message via Skype™ to Quincofish
Thumbs up Re: 12vdc Marine Computers

Hope I am not duplicating here, here goes:-

Been cruising the South Pacific for more than 10 years in a 40 foot sloop. Navigation has improved so much in this time, particularly since Opencpn, prior to that, Cmap and Maxsea were used.
About the 12 volt computers. I have now had 3 different ones, the latest is the smallest and most power efficient and runs Opencpn wonderfully!
The hardware is an Intel NUC, in my case it is a NUC Kit DE3815TYKHE. It has an Atom single core and runs on 12 - 19 volts DC, so straight off your boats 12 volt power. With 8gigs of RAM and a 240gig SSD plus a 4 gig eMMC drive inbuilt it runs Windows 7 from the SSD and Linux Lite from the eMMC (flash drive). See this link Support for the Intel® NUC Kit DE3815TYKHE

Linux Lite boots up with Opencpn running in less than 60 seconds from cold. I get the GPS and AIS data via an Edgeport USB to 4 x serial port adapter. All works great under Windows and Linux Lite.
Quincofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:58   #418

Samsung uses an external brick now on the 24". That means you can convert to DC easy. They are sold at staples.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:16   #419

Quincofish thank you for the report

Quote:
12 volt computers. .. latest is the smallest and most power efficient and runs Opencpn wonderfully! Intel NUC Kit DE3815TYKHE. Atom single core runs on 12 - 19 volts DC, 8gigs of RAM, 240gig SSD, 4 gig eMMC drive, runs Windows 7 from the SSD, Linux Lite from the eMMC. Linux Lite boots up with Opencpn< 60 seconds. I get the GPS and AIS data via an Edgeport USB to 4 x serial port adapter. All works great under Windows.
Do you know how many watts it uses?
What screen & specs and how many watts? Is the display used below or under dodger or in the open? What is your impression about image and useability?

Which GPS & AIS are you using with the Edgeport USB?
Is the Edgeport USB one of their Serial-USB adapters? Model?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2015, 08:20   #420

Boat: Oyster 66

I recently installed my Samsung Series 9 i5 SSD laptop and a standard HDTV LG 22" monitor in my navstation. The monitor stays on the boat and the laptop goes home with me, but when on the boat is locked into a cradle. This is not the lowest power kit, but is pretty low power and very high in performance.

I use a 12v to 19v DC supply to power them both. This was done to dispose of a noisy fan cooled small Victron inverter and to save a little bit of power.

I was pleasantly surprised how well it all works and how little power it uses. When running nav software and working all the time the laptop uses 9w (.36A at 24v). I can live with that. It's a fraction of the old set up. The monitor an additional 1A, but the monitor is very rarely on as the computer turns the screen off after a few minutes.

Amazing how much progress has been made in efficiency in recent years.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v computers, marine computers