Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2013, 04:55   #16

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004
Re: Save the planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryEllenCarter View Post
bbowers2004, Before you try to save the planet, try to save yourself.I've read your blog and you don't seem ready for your dream. It's a nice dream, but do you really need a dog and a TV on a 26 ft sailboat on a circumnavigation?

Some from your blog:

Good Lord son, how beaten down are you in Europe? I am an American, and have pulled alongside multimillion dollar yachts in 23, 24, 26, and 28 foot sailboats. I've treated them all as my equal, and they have always responded in kind. Rich yachts seem to be full of people who find me and my small sailboats interesting.

"Social status" is just something that you were taught. The truth is, we are all equal in the eyes of the sea. You seem to have a lot of learning to do, but the sea is a great school yard.

You should try mastering the subject of sailing before you attempt to teach others how to "save the planet". If you were a day sailing hippie, that would be just fine, but you seem to be attempting a circumnavigation. I don't see Panama Canal plans on your blog.

Maybe you just decided not to include your Panama Canal plans on your blog. I hope that is the case. If not, perhaps you should take a little time off from your plankton studies and look into it.

Stay focused, and save yourself first. The planet will be just fine with or without you.
Thank you sir for reading my blog. Although there may have been a lack of information on my side, or a bit of mis-interpretation on your side. I'm glad that you take pride in being an American, although maybe you should re-evaluate what made America great.

Old 20-10-2013, 05:03   #17

Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Here's hope. We are replacing sight lighting metal halides. With led down lights. Better lumina and at 75 watts compared to 250 more efficient.
Most business are paying attention to cost of utility and replacement value. Some places still have not got on board but we are getting faster at reducing costs and making alternatives viable.
Still strip mining and overfishing but the tide turning.
That is defiantly one of the steps I'm taking, Led's seems like everyone should switch to these. Although, I'm not going to picket or even attempt to try and com-front big fishing. That is a fight for the government organizations. Although joining one of these organizations isn't out of the question. Thanks for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I think if you can efficiently make use of any power you use or generate , avoid polluting , recycle/reuse where you can, avoid damaging chemical compounds as far as practical , then that's about as much as you can do. Modern boars ( and the sailors in them ) are a product of a hydrocarbon based high tech , high energy environment , so there's not much you can do there.

I would add support local business and food production , simple basic stuff.

Dave
Definitely I try to shop at mom and pop businesses, and local food productions. I also am a product of high energy, high tech world, as mentioned I have put a TV on board my boat, an led powered high efficient TV. I like to binge on movie's every now and again. We all need something to do when it is storming, but we don't drink, so we like to relax with some boob tube.

I've also read about changing our diesel engines into using natural gas, the only trouble would be getting the gas while cruising, if we could make that switch, our personal footprint would be lower.

Yes in the larger picture maybe it wouldn't effect as we would hope, but then is doing nothing and accepting the status quo good enough for us?

Thanks for your response.
Old 20-10-2013, 05:34   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

You cannot save the planet but maybe you can save your soul.

b.
Old 20-10-2013, 08:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You cannot save the planet but maybe you can save your soul.

b.
thats plan A.
Old 21-10-2013, 13:02   #20

Quote:
Thank you sir for reading my blog. Although there may have been a lack of information on my side, or a bit of mis-interpretation on your side. I'm glad that you take pride in being an American, although maybe you should re-evaluate what made America great.
What makes you think that I'm proud to be an American? I have a lot of problems with our nation and our direction. I was merely commenting on how social class is apparently not that big of an issue to this average American as it seems to be for you. You also seem to share a common viewpoint with other Europeans that I have met. That was the point. I should have lied and said I was Australian. Aussie's that I have met share my viewpoint, but don't have the stigma.

I am entirely oblivious to social class distinction and I was just suggesting that you do the same. I treat people just the same as how I wish to be treated and find that no matter where I go, for the most part, they treat me well.

I'm sorry that part struck a nerve with you. I wish you the best in your voyages and certainly don't want you injured or having to fly home from the Caribbean after abandoning your dream. You are certainly dreaming bigger than I ever will.

I am interested in your Panama Canal plans since that transit is about as big as I wish to dream.

Fair winds and following seas to you!
Old 21-10-2013, 13:18   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Why would you subject your dog to this? Poor thing confined on a 26' boat for long periods of time. You may be green in attitude but seems a little uncaring to to inflict that to an animal. Ease my mind and tell me that it loves it and is used to it at least.

Coops.
Old 21-10-2013, 13:45   #22

Quote:
What makes you think that I'm proud to be an American? I have a lot of problems with our nation and our direction. I was merely commenting on how social class is apparently not that big of an issue to this average American as it seems to be for you. You also seem to share a common viewpoint with other Europeans that I have met. That was the point. I should have lied and said I was Australian. Aussie's that I have met share my viewpoint, but don't have the stigma.

I am entirely oblivious to social class distinction and I was just suggesting that you do the same. I treat people just the same as how I wish to be treated and find that no matter where I go, for the most part, they treat me well.

I'm sorry that part struck a nerve with you. I wish you the best in your voyages and certainly don't want you injured or having to fly home from the Caribbean after abandoning your dream. You are certainly dreaming bigger than I ever will.

I am interested in your Panama Canal plans since that transit is about as big as I wish to dream.

Fair winds and following seas to you!

I will do a write up tomorrow, since in Europe it is late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Why would you subject your dog to this? Poor thing confined on a 26' boat for long periods of time. You may be green in attitude but seems a little uncaring to to inflict that to an animal. Ease my mind and tell me that it loves it and is used to it at least.

Coops.
I have had the dog on the water since it was a puppy, on boats for hours on times and she loves it. Also I have accustomed her to the water and have kept her by the sea. I also have raised her in a limited space environment, in that she has grown to enjoy life in what she knows.
Old 21-10-2013, 14:51   #23

Quote:

Coops.
Quote:
I have had the dog on the water since it was a puppy, on boats for hours on times and she loves it. Also I have accustomed her to the water and have kept her by the sea. I also have raised her in a limited space environment, in that she has grown to enjoy life in what she knows.

Coops,

The dog Xena is about seven months old and has spent many hours on a boat. She enjoys the limited space environment that all dogs love. Plus, her owner has thought this through in great detail. If you haven't read Brandon's blog, I suggest that you do.

It just screams, "CIRCUMNAVIGATION". Oh and plankton studies, lots of plankton studies.
Old 21-10-2013, 14:59   #24

Quote:
Coops,

The dog Xena is about seven months old and has spent many hours on a boat. She enjoys the limited space environment that all dogs love. Plus, her owner has thought this through in great detail. If you haven't read Brandon's blog, I suggest that you do.

It just screams, "CIRCUMNAVIGATION". Oh and plankton studies, lots of plankton studies.
Exactly
Old 21-10-2013, 16:39   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Happy to know about the dog being happy, although my dogs have always loved non confined spaces. Thank you both. Never read blogs so will believe the previous posts.

Coops.
Old 22-10-2013, 04:22   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

I think being proud of this or that is often the beginning of more trouble. Every day is a new day, being part of a nation brings particular pros&cons, sailing a particular boat forces sorts of behaviours and consequences upon us.

I think if we want to save the planet we must go beyond being proud, look at things as they are and act accordingly. Consume less, pollute less, war less, conserve more, care more, love more.

We cannot save the planet for us, but we can save it from us.

b.
Old 22-10-2013, 15:01   #27

Brandon,

I am looking forward to your Panama Canal plans. Like I said, that is about as far that I wish to dream. I've done a bit of research and would like to compare notes with a circumnavigator who is actually en route.

A question occurred to me that could not be answered from my readings of your blog. Are you going around the Cape of Good Hope, or through the Suez Canal?

The Suez seems to present a whole new set of fees and problems, whilst you can simply skirt South Africa and all their problems for a leisurely sail home.

You might want to also consider the Southern Route. Apart from bragging rights about rounding "The Cape", you could get a chance to save a whale or two from Japanese factory ships.

That should definitely help you do your part the save the planet!
Old 22-10-2013, 15:47   #28

Quote:
I think being proud of this or that is often the beginning of more trouble. Every day is a new day, being part of a nation brings particular pros&cons, sailing a particular boat forces sorts of behaviours and consequences upon us.

I think if we want to save the planet we must go beyond being proud, look at things as they are and act accordingly. Consume less, pollute less, war less, conserve more, care more, love more.

b.
You do have a way with words B.

Quote:
Brandon,

I am looking forward to your Panama Canal plans. Like I said, that is about as far that I wish to dream. I've done a bit of research and would like to compare notes with a circumnavigator who is actually en route.

A question occurred to me that could not be answered from my readings of your blog. Are you going around the Cape of Good Hope, or through the Suez Canal?

The Suez seems to present a whole new set of fees and problems, whilst you can simply skirt South Africa and all their problems for a leisurely sail home.

You might want to also consider the Southern Route. Apart from bragging rights about rounding "The Cape", you could get a chance to save a whale or two from Japanese factory ships.

That should definitely help you do your part the save the planet!
As Promised.
Old 23-10-2013, 04:50   #29
Cap

Boat: 1984 Witness 35 Catamaran

Quote:

b.
Plus one on this!!!
Old 23-10-2013, 22:32   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
Plus one on this!!!
Sure, who could disagree with that? But it is an incredibly naïve opinion which dismisses the nature of men.
Closed Thread