Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2014, 09:49   #1

Boat: Horstman Tristar 38
Living on the Hard, Dreaming of Cruising

Sigh. So here I am (we really) our tentative date for setting sail is September 2015 which is about 15 months to go. I have a thousand things to do, and a chunk of change yet to spend on the boat. And here I sit in my desk job at work bored out of my mind completely unmotivated to do anything. I can't get this out of my mind and I sure as hell cannot motivate myself to do the stack of work that just keeps piling up here.

We spent 4 days cruising around on the boat this past weekend, I really thought that it would "recharge" my batteries so to speak and that I would be motivated to come back to work and get some work done. But that didn't happen... I seem more unmotivated than I was last week. Even worse is that my poor 20 month old daughter seems as in love with it as I do. Every day this week she wakes up, looks at me and says "PaPa, Papa, Boat?" to which I have to tell her that the boat is docked and sleeping right now. Then of course she does not want to let go of me in the morning when I leave for work... Oh man does that make it all that much harder.

How the heck do I make it through the next 15 months like this?

Sigh.. Well back to work before someone notices i've done nothing for the past week and fires me and we are forced to leave for our cruising dream 15 months early... Oh wait. hmm. You see the motivation problem now???
natew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 10:37   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Living on the hard, dreaming of cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by natew View Post
Sigh. So here I am (we really) our tentative date for setting sail is September 2015 which is about 15 months to go. I have a thousand things to do, and a chunk of change yet to spend on the boat. And here I sit in my desk job at work bored out of my mind completely unmotivated to do anything. I can't get this out of my mind and I sure as hell cannot motivate myself to do the stack of work that just keeps piling up here.

We spent 4 days cruising around on the boat this past weekend, I really thought that it would "recharge" my batteries so to speak and that I would be motivated to come back to work and get some work done. But that didn't happen... I seem more unmotivated than I was last week. Even worse is that my poor 20 month old daughter seems as in love with it as I do. Every day this week she wakes up, looks at me and says "PaPa, Papa, Boat?" to which I have to tell her that the boat is docked and sleeping right now. Then of course she does not want to let go of me in the morning when I leave for work... Oh man does that make it all that much harder.

How the heck do I make it through the next 15 months like this?

Sigh.. Well back to work before someone notices i've done nothing for the past week and fires me and we are forced to leave for our cruising dream 15 months early... Oh wait. hmm. You see the motivation problem now???
You have described my situation exactly.. Even the date...

So you are not alone..

I have a montra that I repeat to myself.. "Each workday equals five cruising days"... I find it motivating knowing that each day I spend at a mindless job buys me 5 days of cruising...
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 11:19   #3

I call it the last. 10%... A lot of folks fail at the last 10%. Don't be one of them. . Head down fingers moving, . Finish the job at hand. "Or live in a van down by the river, "
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 11:32   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Alas once cruising there is no amount of days cruising that equals a day of office work.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 12:19   #5

Boat: Catalina 310

haha, this is me almost exactly. We leave in October 2015. Can't get motivated to work most days.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse
Old 05-06-2014, 23:15   #6

Boat: Robertson & Caine Leopard 40

Am So with you my friend.....2 condos, a boathouse, and a 40' powerboat to sell is all that keeps me from buying our Lagoon. Motivation is tough with each day at work.
Makena05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 14:32   #7

There's a reason they call it "the hard" ...it's descriptive in more ways than one......now shooting for August of 2015 here after a delay from planned departure of December of 2014.....ugh
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:30   #8

Boat: Horstman Tristar 38

Well Well.. Here we are. One step closer. Seems we've made a huge push towards our goal today as I went and wire transfered a boat load of money into an escrow account. Thursday we will be the official owners of a mortgage free duplex which is the last step in securing the monthly financing for our journey. It feels quite liberating because this is what the wife and I agreed we needed about six months ago and now it's right there in our hands. Infact it's better because we got an unbelievable deal (about 40K under market value, and 30K less than we thought we would spend on this step) and the rental income from it will actually give us about $500 a month MORE than we had originally budgeted.

Now for a long weekend of painting, repairs upgrades and getting it rent ready! Then off to find suckers... i mean tenants... to pay us money to live in the thing.
natew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:30   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Our Renters paid for our 4 yr Mexico Cruise by their rent checks....it's a great approach!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:55   #10

Re: Living on the Hard, Dreaming of Cruising

This is also part of our plan. Although it will be our current residence that we rent out..

Counting the months.. About 15 months for us... Sigh..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-09-2014, 13:53   #11

Re: Living On The Hard, Dreaming Of Cruising

Now I know the meaning of " I RATHER BE LOST AT SEA THAN FOUND AT WORK"
roaminraulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 11:49   #12

Boat: HJB Cumulant 40

Only 15 months...such luxury. We still have to wait for 30 more months... Per working day I allow myself 15 min of dreamily staring at websites of those who are already out there, to keep me going (and for the rest of the day I just can't help myself )
SummerwindNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 12:10   #13

Ahh here is the great thing about time.... It never stops moving.. We are now at 12 months....

Its now become very hard not to just say f'it and leave now... Sigh, patience.. Still have a bunch of real world things to wrap up.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-11-2014, 00:55   #14

Boat: Catamaran 32ft
I'm happy with our situation, we wanna be on the boat before Christmas, house rented and furniture stored. But always something, if we can't get the house rented before Christmas then it won't happen till end of January and that's a big hole in our cruising fund. So I don't have months, it's gotta be NOW
Nearly Cruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 03:48   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

This is a bad sign. You seem to have the mind that gets bored. I think it is like people who get bored get bored and those who do not get bored do not.

I am not sure you should pursue the sailing dream now. Can you sit out, rethink, regroup?

Can you get another job? Often a new job seems more interesting even if we are still doing the same thing. Novelty keeps the brain pumped up for a while. New place, new people, etc.

Have you talked to your doc? I know in the US it is very easy to get antidepressants. These may help in short term, before you sort out the maze.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, on the hard