Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2016, 07:12   #16

Re: Do it now? YES!

Thanks for the post mate. Reminds the rest of us that our little problems are just that, little.

If you're looking for humour I think you're on the right road. Laughing at a disease might not make it go away but it won't make it any worse.

If you're going through hell, keep going!

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hanksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:21   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ozskipper--sorry to hear you are illified.
please keep the sense of humor, beat the crap outta the disease and come out to play.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:28   #18
omc

Boat: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht

Ozskipper,

Very sorry to hear that, our best wishes for a full and quick recovery.

Take very good care of you, "The Art of a sailor is to leave nothing to chance".

Cheers
Old 11-06-2016, 08:28   #19

KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!!! I say this as a three time cancer survivor (all non related cases of different types of cancer). Your attitude is tantamount to survival! I do have to say the first bout nearly killed me and it took radiation, chemo and surgery to clear it. 9 years larger, I am cancer free and starting my next sailing adventure (starting The Great Loop). I will pick up my sailboat in Sandusky, Ohio in November and move it to Mobile, AL for the winter. At 68 years of age, I can say you have plenty of time to kick this thing and still get to it. Yes, it is absolutely an eye opener to the need to "DO" while you can and nothing is promised but truth is, you still can. The good fortunes are that so many recent breakthroughs have increased the survival from "the Beast" that you certainly have a good chance. DON'T GIVE UP! And, don't throw away your plans to sail away on some adventures, just put them on temporary hold. Blessings and best wishes, Bruce
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:35   #20

YES YES YES
Bobarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:46   #21

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Thanks, I will think of you as I un-ass this settee and go deep in the bowels of my engine room. I have been putting this off too long. As you can see, if good wishes can make you well - you have lots! Including ours.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:15   #22

Oz skipper, life is nothing but uncertainty, thanks for reminding the rest of us and I wish you all the best in getting better and doing all the cool stuff you feel like doing.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:39   #23

Sorry that I did not post this suggestion the first time but I feel compelled to pass on a suggestion for possible treatment (not mine and I am not in the medical field-scientific background and reliable source deems it sensible -- my mother, a retired RN -- so I have tried it). Can you say asparagus purée? That's right! And, don't take my word for it. Do some research. It is said to have some curative processes that are wont to fight abnormal cell growth e.g. Cancer cells. Of course one might say just another "go natural remedies" pretense. Okay, may be true but stop and think about the chemical process taking place which causes your urine to smell post ingesting of asparagus. Food for thought and unless you hate asparagus, it won't hurt. Get the canned stuff (Green Giant or Stokely's-no preservatives or pesticides). Use the juices and asparagus to make a puree and drink 2 oz. in the morning and 2 in the evening. It is supposed to be curative. Though I cannot make any guarantees, I can say I did so for a month and it seemed to help. As I said, I am a 3 time survivor and, evidently prone to cancer. I feel better for having made the effort. You might too but please do the research - do not take my word for it. As I said before, can't hurt. Again, Blessings and hope you get on top of this, Bruce
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:19   #24

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Oz,

Thank you for your candor. And you are 100% correct... now is now. Someday... is just a misty thought on the horizon.

I greatly appreciate your strength in sharing.

Cheers mate!
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:33   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
If you're thinking about packing up and sailing off, DO IT.

Last week I was diagnosed with Lymphoma. C'est la vie. Without going into finer details, things arent looking fantastic for this 52 year old. I certainly wont be going anywhere at this stage.

I have planned cruising all my life and finally reached a point where I could. Even bought the boat. I was going to spend some time cruising on another boat first then come back and take off on my own.

I have sailed all my life and it was always my goal to sell up and cruise. I was even an inshore instructor for a while. But mundane life always got in the way of turning it into a lifestyle and seeing the world.

I am not looking for sympathy here. Rather, hopefully, I inspire someone to get their ass off that chair and get out there and stop putting it off. So stop making excuses (I did). You dont need the biggest boat. You dont need the latest electronics. Do it smaller and cheaper if you have to. But DO IT.

In the mean time, I will continue cruising vicariously though here and the good folks on youtube.

My final advice.. never pee into the wind lol (I need humor right now)

Thanks
OZ Hi sorry to hear about your health problem.I have been reading up a lot on cancer as a matter of interest over the last five years on a site hosted by DR Mercola (just google and sign up for his daily health news report) and the big factor in cancer survival in your body is the use of sugar by cancer cells to survive and grow.Without it they cannot survive and die.Sugar is in so many of our foodstuffs today so it is not only ingested by taking in sugar in granulated form.Ask your oncologist about it and see if he is informed about this as the science is fairly new on this particular aspect of cancer and it's progression .Also leafy green vegetables of organic origin also very important.You do not want to be putting chemicals like glyphosate into your body via GMO products.DOWN WITH MONSANTO!!!!!
Take care and get well.Kind regards,David.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:26   #26

Quote:

Last week I was diagnosed with Lymphoma. C'est la vie. Without going into finer details, things arent looking fantastic for this 52 year old. I certainly wont be going anywhere at this stage.

I have planned cruising all my life and finally reached a point where I could. Even bought the boat. I was going to spend some time cruising on another boat first then come back and take off on my own.

I have sailed all my life and it was always my goal to sell up and cruise. I was even an inshore instructor for a while. But mundane life always got in the way of turning it into a lifestyle and seeing the world.

I am not looking for sympathy here. Rather, hopefully, I inspire someone to get their ass off that chair and get out there and stop putting it off. So stop making excuses (I did). You dont need the biggest boat. You dont need the latest electronics. Do it smaller and cheaper if you have to. But DO IT.

In the mean time, I will continue cruising vicariously though here and the good folks on youtube.

Thanks
Best of luck to ya, I hope everything works out.
My wife is right now recovering from the big C. It has made me think. We are close to your age and I haven't done much of anything kept work for 25 years. Her situation woke me up. Life is precious. You can either be a "slave" or you can be free.
It will be about 5 years before I can go, because thats how long my wife treatments are. Then Im gone. Hopefully in a few years you can be gone too.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:38   #27

Boat: Catalina 400

ozskipper -

Your message is received 5x5, mate, thank you for sharing and baring.
Shows that you have the courage required to whip this.

We've seen so many victories over C in the last 3 years, your prospects for full remission are better than ever. You probably ought to keep browsing YachtWorld and keep an eye out for your next cruiser...
SoundWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:49   #28

Quote:

Thanks
Just read your post, and you have helped me decide finally, on something which I am avoiding and postponing for a long time - too long.
I wish you to go through this awful time as quick as and as and as easy as possible and that you will get to your feet and "DO IT NOW". Thanks to you - I am !
Good luck!
moshiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:11   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to Vency

Good luck, Oz!
Hope you will make as much as possible miles.

Very, VERY, inspiring post! Thanks,Mate!
Cheers!
Vency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 15:46   #30

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

Hi Ozz,sorry for your news but my wife who is my crew together my sons suddenly and in a shocking way was into a massive surgery and a heavy chemo treatment .This change our lives but it was 9 years ago and at moment we working a little and sailing the rest of the time .The trick with the chemo was maintained the the movement inclusive in the worst moment .Was a long fight ,nearly two years but all its possible and never is too late to Do It . Best wishes and be optimistic .The best cure is enjoy every day
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote