Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2008, 13:19   #1

Boat: dreaming of a Lavezzi or Fusion 40'
Good to name of a boat before owning a boat? (yes/no)

I'm set on getting a boat... I've short listed the boat list down to two. Done tons of research on the options. Contemplated the various ways to finance etc.... And most of all started working and living with a plan to eventually own .

Here's my current dilemma:

Is it bad luck, poor taste, or just plain old wrong to have figured out "the" name of my boat? I don't have the my part yet.... just the name.

advice?
vveerrgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 13:33   #2

Hmm...i will keep the name of the boat if i buy a used one. Or Change just a part of the name, like Christina III. I should change it to just Christina.
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 13:41   #3

if I bought a used boat... DEFINITELY I would keep the name.

But in the situation of buying a new boat... is there a rule?
Old 15-08-2008, 13:46   #4

Boat: owned a 6m single hull sailing boat, a HIRONDELL 23 cat and chartered modern +8m ELAN boats
name yes; rename no; i've heard that it brings bad luck also to name Princess into Princess III
Old 15-08-2008, 14:01   #5
DWT

When I bought our boat it had a name made up of four people. Like MaGeRoDa.... it was not something I wanted to keep and I did not have the boat home for more than a day before the sander was out and I removed it. And no the boat did not sink, we have not had bad spirit floating around down in side.
I knew how much time and money I was going to spend on the boat before I bought one and the only way to get my wife to allow that was to name it after her, she just loved it!. So I had a name before I bought a boat.

David
69 Morgan 30'
CarolAnn
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 14:08   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Since you have a catamaran you will need two virgins. One for each bow.......JUST KIDDING....... If you let superstition rule your life you will have no control. Change the name, and make it fun with some obscure ritual..........BEST WISHES, and what name would you change it to, and from?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 14:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karletto View Post
name yes; rename no; i've heard that it brings bad luck also to name Princess into Princess III
OK, news for me...but i will follow this!
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 17:35   #8
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
I renamed from Pukka to Softair and I have no spirits around and she behaves beautifully, I agree with imagine2frolic, good post
Old 15-08-2008, 17:45   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I think once you find your older boat and sense the history and context of its existing name, two things can happen;

If it appeals to you…you will keep it…..

If it irritates you in any manner…..just change it and create your own legend!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 18:17   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have a name picked out for my first catamaran. It is my wife's Romanian name. I think it is a pretty name and deserving of being placed on the transom of a pretty boat. I'm not going to worry about any superstitions or traditions because my wife and I really want that name on our boat. Besides, the vast majority of names I already see on other boats, I would not want.

A boats name is a reflection of the owners personality, tastes, beliefs or life philosophy, so why suffer with a name that you truly dislike that is not you?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 21:20   #11

Boat: S/V Paseo -- A dream for now.
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr. Moreau
Quote:
Originally Posted by vveerrgg View Post
I'm set on getting a boat... I've short listed the boat list down to two. Done tons of research on the options. Contemplated the various ways to finance etc.... And most of all started working and living with a plan to eventually own .

Here's my current dilemma:

Is it bad luck, poor taste, or just plain old wrong to have figured out "the" name of my boat? I don't have the my part yet.... just the name.

advice?
I do not think it is bad taste and I think it is OK to have it. I have not heard from Neptune yet, but hopefully he is OK with me pre-naming our boat we do not have.

I think having a name picked out gives you something a little more tangible to work towards. Our boat is to be named S/V Paseo and not a single day goes by where I do not think of myself at the helm of the S/V Paseo.

My two cents...

Aaron

https://sailing.moreau.us/
Dr. Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 16:54   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by vveerrgg View Post

advice?
Pick the name and don't tell anyone...

We had our son's name picked out on our honeymoon. We waited 10 years to have him.

In year 9 our best friends got pregnant. One night we casually told them the name we had picked. They used it.

We thought about it a while then we used it too. So they are still our friends, our kids are friends and our kids have the same name...

Oh, well.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 03:30   #13
cruiser

In my experience, it is a bad idea to pre-name a boat.

In fact, I find myself wishing I had a year to decide on a name after purchase!

Why?

A boat has a unique personality. No matter how much you may wish to force a certain name on one, you may find that she was either happier with her old name, or that the name you have chosen does not fit.

You can't know the suitable name (reflecting the boat's personality) until after you get to know her.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 05:21   #14

Boat: Riviera 35
"You can't know the suitable name (reflecting the boat's personality) until after you get to know her. "

You're right ssullivan, and "she" says the same applies to husbands too. She said that changing her name definately brought her bad luck. But, when she changed it back after the divorce, all was ok.

Seriously though, isn't the fable that changing the name, changes the luck. Not making it good or bad, but just changing it. Eg. Un unlucky boat, may become a lucky boat after the name is changed?

Merchant ships seem to change their name many times in their lives as each time they change owners they often change names.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 08:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
You can't know the suitable name (reflecting the boat's personality) until after you get to know her.
Good point... chartering a couple of sails on a similar boat might serve as some assistance in confirming the name...