Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2013, 19:01   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Charging Chordless Drills & Power Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmus View Post

I like makita but they have a lot of digital stuff in their electronic equipment making it imposable to fix and i had several things break shortly after warranty which makes me think they have a programed wear out schedule. My hitachi pneumatics are good but i can not do pneumatic on a boat so i am phasing it out. These brands and Milwaukee are kinda pricy, not festool pricy but pricy.

Everying i have owned from Dewalt has died early. Perhaps things have changed.

I had a Ryobi drill press and a circular saw. Both lasted a long while but the bearings/spindles had play so i never trusted the tolerances.

I had great luck with craftsman if it was built before 1990. It was a slow decline to 97, then it became plastic. Some things have improved, most have not. However i did receive a craftsman chordless drill that was ahead of it's time about 13 years ago and it took a licking. (used maybe 10h/week for 11 years) It got wet. It got stuccoed. It was dropped 2 stories... As much as i hate what craftsman has become that drill kicked ass. The batteries are 11 years old and still ok. I wanted it to die in the warranty, but no luck. Because i have extra bats, because they have a nice wet/dry vac, I might stick with them.

Porter cable was good to me for nailers and routers and sanders prior to 2007 +/-3. I wonder what happened because some is sketchy.

I think i am just getting old and cranky.
Aren't we all!! Good observations. Here is our collection. These 28 volt tools seem to have all of the torque of their 110 VAC cousins. The small drill will twist your arm off and the saws will not bog down. The big drill with winch adapter will pull my cranky butt straight up the 80 foot mast and will pull in our 130 genoa in anything. (so far).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1298.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	55885  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 19:49   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

have been using the 12v LI Milwaukee screw guns for 4 or more years. Compact, quick to charge, and last a looonnnnngggg time on a charge. Ideal tool for the multitude of screws and/or nuts you have to set on a boat. Like the LI batteries because they don't have a memory so you can stick them in the charger anytime you feel like it. No need to wait till the batteries are flat like NiCad.

Have a 14.4v NiCad Bosch drill that has done yeoman service, easily drilled more than a thousand holes in the 6 years I've owned it. Batteries are holding up great with no issues. First NiCad powered tool that I've owned (Milwaukee, Makita, B&D, Ryobi) that the batteries have held up.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 00:40   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
...have been using battery drills every working day since they first came on the market nearly 30 years ago, ...and they would usually try to upsell you into a kit with maybe a useless circular saw as well and then the next year they would come out with a new model and the batteries would be incompattable and when your batteries died you would be faced with a $90 replacement, Ryobi changed all that .... the trouble is the batteries only lasted about a year and were too expensive to replace, i threw away the drill and did a batteryectomy on the saw and now run it on the Ryobi batteries.

Steve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I have a whole set of dewalt. They also make a 12 vdccharger that goes into a cigarette light socket. Makes it all very easy. Dewalt is heavy duty, lasts forever

30 some years ago all there was, was a 9 volt Makita. They still make it...it sucks. It was only good to put machine screws into something that was allready threaded. 15 years ago I became a Porter Cable fan. They have great power tools. Do not think they aren't good tolls, they are....10 years ago a DeWalt rep came to our office and made me a DeWalt fan by giving us a godfather deal on a 4 piece kit..
I am an electrician by trade. It is how I make a living. I work smart not hard.
Sure I bought the 4 piece kit. I got a special price. Plus I use all 4 pieces at least once a month.
I did buy extra batteries. 8 of them in total. I have several chargers. I have not used an extension cord in years, and I have rewired houses using my DeWalts. I had to replace my 1/2" hammer drill and reciprocating saw (sawzall) after 7 or 8 years of heavy construction work.
Can anyone beat that with a Ryobi? I sincerely doubt it. I have coworkers who bought those thing and they crapped out one by one...How do you have warranty work performed? I had a 3 year old DeWalt drill that had the chuck go bad and it was replaced for free within 5 minutes...beat that.
Five years ago Ryobi had a one year warranty....for homeowner use only...
Porter cable and DeWalt do not have that limitation...Why is that?

Sure the 2 brands I like are great for pro use. You might not need to spend your hard earned money for something you will only use once or twice a month...not everyday like I do.
But really...buy a corded drill for 20 bucks and use it instead of 100 bucks for a cheap battery drill that is useless after a year or two...Everyone wants battery tools, but at what expense? Sometimes you need to do a cost/effectiveness study to find out if you really need it.

Oh and BTW...If you want pics of my tools, speak up and I will post them.
I may not be a great sailor, but I am a great electrician(according to coworkers and customers). Personally I don't think that. But that is what I hear from others...I think I am still learning...
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:56   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Another option is the Milwaukee M12 system.

12v Li-on batteries
Car charger: M12

The only drawback I see is no vacuum yet.

Cordless Power Tools | Milwaukee Tool
+100!!!!!!!

I too use Ryobi professionally and it has proven to be tough stuff at a tremendous value, the little skill saws are my favorite. I own cordless tools by Ryobi, DeWalt, Milwaukee and Porter Cable (all my Makita stuff finally died). I know many yards in Maine where Ryobi is in the shop including some very high end prestigious builders...

The Milwaukee M12 line however CAN NOT be beat for working on boats. The little 12V Li batteries out last my 18V DeWalt XRP, recharge faster, don't self discharge and are very, very light weight. Think bosuns chair pocket compact......

The new sub compact 12V stuff from Milwaukee can't be beat in form factor for working in tight spaces on boats. I chose the Milwaukee 12V line because hands down it is the most complete line up of any 12V family.. I currently own about four M12 chargers, a dozen or more batteries and a pile of tools. Some of my favorites:

M12 - Dremel/rotary tool
M12 - Multimaster
M12 - Right angle drill
M12 - Drill (I own two)
M12 - Screw gun
M12 - Impact driver

Just yesterday I drilled a 2.25" hole in a solid glass transom that was about 3/8" thick.. I did this with my teeny tiny M12 on one battery at 35F......

All that said be very careful using cordless tool chargers on modified sine inverters. I RUINIED numerous batteries doing this.... Switched to pure sine and never again had a battery problem..

BTW some of my M12 stuff comes from Tyler Tools refurb department.. Tyler tool has some killer deals and I buy quite a bit from them..

For anyone working on boats I would highly suggest looking into the 12V compact tool options out there....
Old 09-03-2013, 07:43   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Just yesterday I drilled a 2.25" hole in a solid glass transom that was about 3/8" thick.. I did this with my teeny tiny M12 on one battery at 35F......
Two and a quarter inch? is that all? LOL!

try 6 3/8" in 3/4" plaster(concrete) with a 1" t&g wood behind it. Just last week I did 32 of them with my 18V. DeWalt, AND no it didn't take all week either...I was installing recessed lighting...God I hate those things....Did them all in one day.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match or anything....Just talkin' ya know...But I could do a whole bunch of those tiny holes in glass reinforced plastic and still have a bunch more battery left....just sayin...

AS a matter of fact...
I'd be willing to bet my 18V. DeWalt against any 18V. tool on the market, shoot I'd be willing to bet it against any 12 V. with TWO batteries...
the bet would be a bottle of.......Naw dude, I'm stuck on an island...I want Jack Daniels!

But seriously....for homeowner use or boat owner use....get a cheap one from Harbor Freight! I have seen those hold up in construction use for around 6 months...
Heck... I have a 15 year old Porter Cable that I gave to my wife one Christmas around 10 years ago.... She just charges up that battery and she is good to go.
Personally, I would buy a 12V. Porter Cable before any other 12V. battery drill.

Truth be told it is personal preference. Personally I wouldn't buy anything else, but ya gotta remember...I make a living with mine and I work smart not hard. Where would I get warranty work done on anything but Porter Cable or DeWalt? Ship it to the manufacturer? I don't have time I make a living with my tools...

If you only use them once in a while??? A cheep one will suffice. Don't spend the extra money....
Old 09-03-2013, 08:26   #66
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
Two and a quarter inch? is that all? LOL!

try 6 3/8" in 3/4" plaster(concrete) with a 1" t&g wood behind it. Just last week I did 32 of them with my 18V. DeWalt, AND no it didn't take all week either...I was installing recessed lighting...God I hate those things....Did them all in one day.
Yes but the form factor of my DeWalt will not fit many places on a boat, it's just too darn big..

Quote:
AS a matter of fact...
I'd be willing to bet my 18V. DeWalt against any 18V. tool on the market, shoot I'd be willing to bet it against any 12 V. with TWO batteries...
the bet would be a bottle of.......Naw dude, I'm stuck on an island...I want Jack Daniels!
Yep Lithium to lithium 18V always wins over 12V but I find my 12V Li lasts as long as my old 18V XRP nicad...

Quote:
Personally, I would buy a 12V. Porter Cable before any other 12V. battery drill.
I just bought an 18V Li Porter Cable impact driver and drill... The quality is NOT what it once was and I regret buying it..

Quote:
Truth be told it is personal preference. Personally I wouldn't buy anything else, but ya gotta remember...I make a living with mine and I work smart not hard. Where would I get warranty work done on anything but Porter Cable or DeWalt? Ship it to the manufacturer? I don't have time I make a living with my tools...
I can get Milwaukee, DeWalt, Bosch and Porter Cable warranty work done about 15 minutes away. Festool & Fein I have to send away, Ryobi I just toss it out and buy another as it cost not much more than the freight.....
Old 09-03-2013, 08:38   #67

Quote:
Yep Lithium to lithium 18V always wins over 12V but I find my 12V Li lasts as long as my old 18V XRP nicad...

I just bought an 18V Li Porter Cable impact driver and drill... The quality is NOT what it once was and I regret buying it..

I can get Milwaukee, DeWalt, Bosch and Porter Cable warranty work done about 15 minutes away. Festool & Fein I have to send away, Ryobi I just toss it out and buy another as it cost not much more than the freight.....
I hate Li...it has less power and goes dry instantly even with a flashlight... However I hate to hear about PC and the reduced power...

Bosch is a good tool also, for pro work....I hate calling myself a pro....it sounds like I am calling myself a hooker...LOL!!!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:40   #68

[QUOTE=Maine Sail;1180352
.....[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I bought an 18V.> LI and I hate it...They go dead instantly even in a flashlight....
Old 09-03-2013, 08:49   #69
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Yeah, I bought an 18V.> LI and I hate it...They go dead instantly even in a flashlight....

Actually the Li battery is the best part of that Porter Cable. I will never own another cordless tool that is not Li powered. The flexi plastic body and creaking of the Porter Cable drill, when using it, don't lend an air of robustness like Porter Cable was known for. The clutch on it is pathetic as is the body. it is an insult to the Porter Cable brand IMHO. It is comfortable and says "Porter Cable" but this is NOT the Porter Cable quality I am used to. Hell my PC router is nearly 30 years old.......If I had to guess I'd bet this PC drill won't last as long as my Ryobi stuff has...

Most of these newer cordless products are all built in China but some do a better job than others. This is why I am moving much of my tools over to true quality products like Festool and Fein...

Black & Decker did a good job of keeping DeWalt quality up but they seem to be cheapening Delta and Porter Cable since the acquisition. Sad reall as Delta and Porter Cable were good strong brands. I just bought a new 14" band saw and the Delta was a complete joke and not even worth considering. My Delta Table saw from many moons ago is a solid work horse.. Seems B&D is riding on the name brands of Delta and PC and drastically cheapening the products... Arghhh......
Old 09-03-2013, 08:56   #70

everything I had in cordless charged fine on a Freeedom/Heart invertor. (laptop, drill, jig saw and handvac)

The batteries in my Makita cordless drill didnt last well at all (at home), finally threw it away as the batteries were more than new drill sets. I bought a Skil 18V drill for $30 two and a half years ago and it's going great! I'm not sure I'm willing to spend a lot on cordless tools.... just not convinced the more expensive ones are much different than the cheaper ones on sale.

Makita was all the rage in tools for years... looking back though: My 4" disc grinder had switch problems from the get go and still does, My jig saw seems to move the saw better than the blade!, My small sander seems to move my wrist better than the sandpaper, and the above mentioned drill was a P.O.S.! Comparing my Porter Cable electric sander with the Makita.. there is no comparison... the PC is far better.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:02   #71

Quote:
A
Black & Decker did a good job of keeping DeWalt quality up but they seem to be cheapening Delta and Porter Cable since the acquisition. ....
OOH, I really hate to hear that...Delta and PC were good solid tools!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:30   #72

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

For those who already have an 18v Makita setup, this vacuum gets more use on board than any of the tools: Bare-Tool Makita BCL180ZW 18-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Vacuum (Tool Only, No Battery) - Amazon.com

One problem with the portable Li tools for those of us who aren't using them constantly is that some of the batteries seem to have their cells get out of synch and then they can't be charged. Using the batteries with the vacuum and charging more frequently seems to help.

We keep the chargers for the Makita and our 28.8 Milwaukee right angle on the boat and charge using the inverter when the engine is running. The Milwaukee hoists the sail so it's getting worked pretty regularly. With solar installed, I expect we won't need to wait for the engine to be run.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:57   #73

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

This thread started out asking about charging battery tools onboard but as usual has gone off the rails, sooo, other than Ryobi and i think someone said, De walt, what other brands offer a direct 12v dc to 12v or 18v charger and at what price? As far as im concerned having to use the inverter or having to cobble together something myself is a non starter.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:09   #74
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
This thread started out asking about charging battery tools onboard but as usual has gone off the rails, sooo, other than Ryobi and i think someone said, De walt, what other brands offer a direct 12v dc to 12v or 18v charger and at what price? As far as im concerned having to use the inverter or having to cobble together something myself is a non starter.

Steve.
Milwaukee also makes them. This is the one for the M12 Series:

Milwaukee M12 AC/DC Charger 2510-20
Old 12-03-2013, 06:46   #75
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Makita sell a range of 12V chargers for various chemistries and voltages for their tools

Dave

Tags
charging