Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 19:00   #106
Kai Nui

No phone line, or shore power, but both Pelagic, and Charlie are on the right track. Read my original post VERY carefully.
And no problem with the depth.
Old 06-08-2008, 19:33   #107

Boat: Sceptre 41
My guess is one of two things. One there were two bowlines and only one was released. This answer is probably not right b/c it took 15 minutes to figure out what the problem was. Second guess is that the bowline was released from the bow cleat then tied somewhere else on the boat behind amidships causing the boat to spin.

I won't post any answers to my quiz till Kai's is resolved.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 19:40   #108
Kai Nui

You were right on the money (and yes it took 15 minutes to figure it out) That's what happens when I try to delegate Our illustrius Commodore released the Starboard bow line, but never even looked at the port side. It was so obvious, that no one else thought to check. Boy were our faces red, but at least it made for a good story at the next board meeting
Old 06-08-2008, 19:43   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
And Charlie, my guess would be a loose hose clamp on the water intake?

The thought process is correct but in my post I (and subsequently the mechanic) tightened all the hose clamps.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 06-08-2008, 19:56   #110
Kai Nui

Does your engine sit below or above the waterline?
Old 06-08-2008, 20:14   #111

Quote:
Does your engine sit below or above the waterline?
On the right track. Top of Engine is very close to the waterline. Not sure whether it is above or below.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 06-08-2008, 20:22   #112
Kai Nui

It sounds like you are (were) losing suction in the water intake, but not sure why, if the hoses are tight, why it would not pick it back up. Unless, you have an anti siphon on the raw water intake line, and it stuck open?
Old 06-08-2008, 20:32   #113

You are very close. The gasket on my "origianl" raw water strainer was worn to the point where it was no longer air tight. The gasket that I fitted in there was better but not airtight either. After calling (aren't cell phones great) the engine installer and Never Monday I decided to lower the raw water strainer below the water line. This way I have to close the seacock whenever I shut the engine down but air leaks don['t matter as much. I also did a better job of repalcing the gasket on the raw water strainer. Good job Kai. I could n't figure it out on my own.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 06-08-2008, 20:44   #114
Kai Nui

I was thinking the strainer, but opted for the anti siphon first, as that is a rare failure in my experience.
Neeeext...
Old 08-08-2008, 02:37   #115
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
The magnetic compass sits on your boat, generally ignored these days as GPS and different electronic compasses outshine in accuracy and convenience.

But in an emergency, with no power, it still remains your get home, stand alone Guide.

How do you test that old compass for Mechanical Defects? (broken or blunted pivot points; punctures or roughness in the jewelled cap; etc.etc)
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:24   #116
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Blunted pivot points? Do you have a 17th century compass without jeweled bearing points in it?[VBG]

While one crew observes the compass, the others get out and rotate the boat in a 360d circle, so any uneveness in the compass may be observed. Then, the boat is heeled 20d, (four times, once to port, once to starboard, once bow-down and once stern-down) and the rotation performed again, ensuring the bearing is free and clear in all orientations.

Of course if something was broken in there, really broken, it would be sitting in the bottom of the globe or floating in it. But the crew feel more valuable when they've been doing essential tasks like rotating the boat about the compass.[g]
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:14   #117
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
The solution I am looking for is a lot simpler than that HS and one that a compass adjuster will usually do before anything else.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:19   #118

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Quote:
You were right on the money (and yes it took 15 minutes to figure it out) That's what happens when I try to delegate Our illustrius Commodore released the Starboard bow line, but never even looked at the port side. It was so obvious, that no one else thought to check. Boy were our faces red, but at least it made for a good story at the next board meeting
Helarious but I had EXACTLY the same thing happen one time. I now verify that ALL lines are cast off.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:33   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
The solution I am looking for is a lot simpler than that HS and one that a compass adjuster will usually do before anything else.
Check to see if the lubbers line is parallel to the boats longitudinal line. Check that all the compensating magnets are there. Swing the compass slowly looking for any places where the card sticks. I actually had a fluxgate compass wear out. Didn't know they could previously.

Magneuto method or swinging the boat? Megneuto method works very well for finding a worn compass. Places where it is sticking become very obvious.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:34   #120

Boat: 44 footer
Could you take a big lump of steel or a magnet and swing it around the compass to see if it gets hung up anywhere?

I know my bucket of anchor chain will do the trick...
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote