Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2016, 14:29   #61

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Windows: 7 or 10???

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanowens1966 View Post
The hacked version was only linked to for a day, 2 days ago (20th). So only those who downloaded an ISO on 20 Feb 16 need worry. It is AFAIK a unique occurrence, and certainly far less common than the nasties flying around for Windows.

I just don't want anyone scared off because of one, quickly blocked, attack.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 14:30   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I took the free 10 upgrade and it changed every setting on every program in my computer. After fighting it for a week I dumped it and went back to Windows 7. It took me a couple of days to get all my settings back but at least I knew where they were and what they were called.
Old 22-02-2016, 14:35   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
It took me a couple of days to get all my settings back but at least I knew where they were and what they were called.
By spending an hour or so making a clone of your 7 disk before "upgrading" to 10 you could have reverted to 7 with all applications/settings unchanged in another hour or so. Not helpful to you now, but I hope others will take note.

Greg
Old 22-02-2016, 14:55   #64

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
By spending an hour or so making a clone of your 7 disk before "upgrading" to 10 you could have reverted to 7 with all applications/settings unchanged in another hour or so. Not helpful to you now, but I hope others will take note.

Greg
Disk manufacturers often have free cloning software that will clone your disk if it is their brand otherwise a great free cloning tool can be found at Clonezilla - About
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 15:03   #65

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I have 3 years on you. I only put mine to sleep. I can't find the mouse just as much. May be dumbo or gray matter?
I re-configured the power button to do a shutdown via the settings menu , simple, also did the same with closing the lid. I think the options were under display/power/ other options or similar. but most times i just press the windows key which bring up the 'start' tile display and ha the power options available like shutdown or restart. I have mine set never to go to sleep unless on battery power only, at home it is always plugged in and charging
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 15:28   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Disk manufacturers often have free cloning software that will clone your disk if it is their brand otherwise a great free cloning tool can be found at Clonezilla - About
I have been doing quite a few installations of SSD replacements for HDDs lately. Clonezilla used to be my standard tool. Unfortunately it is limited: it won't clone from a larger disk to a smaller one. It does not matter if the content is less than the new one, or even if the old drive is modified such that the usable partitions would fit (the rest being unallocated). So Clonezilla is getting a lot less use these days because a lot of casual PC users don't need SSDs as large as the HDD that their computers shipped with, and so they want to save some money with a smaller SSD. A related problem is that M$ in all of their wisdom puts files in the middle of disks that it considers unmovable, even by their own defragger. There is a free defragger that does a lot better job and does move the immovable. I use three free programs to clone Windows to an SSD: one to defrag, one to clone, and the last to align the Windows logical disk to the hardware (very important for wear and speed).

I would recommend to anyone considering the upgrade to 10 to first clone 7 to an SSD, then install the SSD and do the upgrade to 10. If 10 is not to your liking then temporarily swap the drives and clone the 7 HDD to the SSD and reinstall the SSD. (It is made more awkward by M$ preventing booting from external Windows disks.) For cloning purposes on newer machines it is easy to unplug the SATA connectors from the optical drive and plug them into the SSD, and faster than using most external solutions.

FWIW the difference between SSDs and HDDs in boot times with Windows is just stunning. If anyone wants to pep up an old machine, this is the way to do it. Prices are quite low now.

Greg
Old 22-02-2016, 16:12   #67

Boat: Spacesailer 20

Quote:
The hacked version was only linked to for a day, 2 days ago (20th). So only those who downloaded an ISO on 20 Feb 16 need worry. It is AFAIK a unique occurrence, and certainly far less common than the nasties flying around for Windows.

I just don't want anyone scared off because of one, quickly blocked, attack.

Greg
The post did not mention when he got MINT. As of about an hour ago, their website has yet to get back up after the attack. I agree that the attack is not nearly as common as on Windows machines but it is still important to inform those who are thinking of changing.

I have 2 Duo Core's with 4GB RAM running it and its speed crushes my i7 with 16GB running W10. It does not run all Windows Software and My Pinnacle won't run on it. IF I had a choice, I would run no MS products. But alas, I have no choice! The market Demands it. Also, too many Governmental Websites require IE to access the data and services I need to run my business.

Dean
Old 22-02-2016, 16:31   #68

Yes, always a good idea to warn about a vulnerability. I just wanted to point out that it is limited to downloads on a single day. The bad guys hacked a download link on the Mint server in order to get users to download a version with malware from another site. While it is trivial to repair the link, Clem and the team are going through the server with a fine tooth comb to try to learn how the hackers got in, and if they left any backdoors. That speaks to the way they approach everything: they release when they are comfortable with things, and not before. Contrast that to M$... The site should be up soon for those ready to improve their experience...

I'm with you about avoiding M$; I have had Windows in a VM on my Mac for years for those instances where there is no Mac or Linux alternative, and the Windows app won't run on WINE (Linux) or DARWINE (Mac). These days I rarely have to use the VM, but it just depends on what apps are needed.

Greg
Old 22-02-2016, 16:32   #69

Quote:
I have been doing quite a few installations of SSD replacements for HDDs lately. Clonezilla used to be my standard tool. Unfortunately it is limited: it won't clone from a larger disk to a smaller one. It does not matter if the content is less than the new one, or even if the old drive is modified such that the usable partitions would fit (the rest being unallocated). So Clonezilla is getting a lot less use these days because a lot of casual PC users don't need SSDs as large as the HDD that their computers shipped with, and so they want to save some money with a smaller SSD. A related problem is that M$ in all of their wisdom puts files in the middle of disks that it considers unmovable, even by their own defragger. There is a free defragger that does a lot better job and does move the immovable. I use three free programs to clone Windows to an SSD: one to defrag, one to clone, and the last to align the Windows logical disk to the hardware (very important for wear and speed).

I would recommend to anyone considering the upgrade to 10 to first clone 7 to an SSD, then install the SSD and do the upgrade to 10. If 10 is not to your liking then temporarily swap the drives and clone the 7 HDD to the SSD and reinstall the SSD. (It is made more awkward by M$ preventing booting from external Windows disks.) For cloning purposes on newer machines it is easy to unplug the SATA connectors from the optical drive and plug them into the SSD, and faster than using most external solutions.

FWIW the difference between SSDs and HDDs in boot times with Windows is just stunning. If anyone wants to pep up an old machine, this is the way to do it. Prices are quite low now.

Greg
Yes, a hassle with the bigger hd to smaller hd thing although there is a somewhat messy workaround using defragmentation and gparted.

Not that this matters if intending to backup and restore to the same disk.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-02-2016, 16:34   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanowens1966 View Post
The post did not mention when he got MINT. As of about an hour ago, their website has yet to get back up after the attack. I agree that the attack is not nearly as common as on Windows machines but it is still important to inform those who are thinking of changing.

I have 2 Duo Core's with 4GB RAM running it and its speed crushes my i7 with 16GB running W10. It does not run all Windows Software and My Pinnacle won't run on it. IF I had a choice, I would run no MS products. But alas, I have no choice! The market Demands it. Also, too many Governmental Websites require IE to access the data and services I need to run my business.

Dean
Virtual machine running Windows inside a Linux OS is one solution. Provides a degree of machine to machine portability as well as reduced exposure to Windows targeted exploits.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-02-2016, 17:24   #71

Windows 10 would be my recommendation. I work for a large processor manufacturer and previously worked for HP. Windows 10 will have a much longer support cycle from Microsoft. Also for anyone that is having issues with drivers for an older machine after upgrading to Windows 10, try using the Windows 8 drivers. Most of the time they work. I have about 6 to 8 machines at home(it varies because I get given machines to try for extended periods) most are on Windows 10. Also Microsoft will be ending the free upgrade this summer; I can't remember the exact date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alastair_Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 18:30   #72

To answer the Linux Mint questions - 17.2. I'm running it on a Dell i3 with 6GB ram and it smokes my newer desktop with windows 10.

I like Linux as it has libre office which is compatible with MS office except it's free. I can receive weather fax using hamfax and my Eton E5 ssb receiver and it has great astronomy software (free). So for me it's perfect and it rarely gets attacked whereas windows is rife with viruses.
SV. Gwenhidwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 18:40   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
The MacBook Air starts at about $400 from Amazon. The very high end is about $2200. We have an Air, a Pro and IMac, all are well suited to Navigation. We use our Air on board, our Pro for trip and route planning and our IMac for
Lightroom and Photishop.

The air is fine for email, viewing photographs, and everything but very high end photo editing.
MacBook Air has an 11" or 13" screen. Unless I missed a model I have to go with the MacBook Pro to get a 15" screen. Cheapest online price I found was $1800, about double a similar 15" PC laptop.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 19:00   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

One thought to add. I have been using computers since 1980 when I bought an Apple II+. Bought my first IBM clone about ten years later.

I have considered Microsoft an annoying, bully of a company since I bought a PC to use with IBM OS2 but still had to pay an MS licensing fee on the machine. At that time the MS policy (later revoked after MS was sued and lost in court) forced all PC manufacturers that were MS customers pay for an OS on every machine sold. The justification, anyone buying a machine without an OS was going to pirate one from MS.

Seems like the MS BS is reaching the breaking point for me with Win10. I do think it's time for me to bite the bullet and start looking at some version of Linux. Ubuntu seems to be the current favorite. Maybe I'll take my old Win7 PC and play with that, after I get a new machine.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 19:11   #75

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

I generally run my desktop in a virtual. For a number of years, I've been running VMWare Workstation 8 on a Linux Mint/Mate 12.0 host, with a Windows 7 and a Linux Mint/Mate 13 virtual.

This week I've begun the process of updating my OSes. I've updated the Windows virtual to Windows 10. I've moved my host to Linux Mint/Mate 17.3, and updated VMWare to Workstation 12.

Have my backups configured and working, again, with the new configuration. Next, I'll be creating a new virtual, installing Linux Mint/Mate 17.3, and will begin the process of moving my various files, applications, and running processes from the old Linux virtual to the new.

There are a number of reasons I prefer running my primary desktops on virtuals:
  1. It makes backups easier.
  2. It makes moving everything onto new hardware after something gets fried easier.
  3. It means I don't have to shut everything down, before I get everything new started.
  4. It makes it easy to experiment - I'd moved to Mint after Ubuntu took a turn for the idiotic. I tested the latest Ubuntu, and it's not just still screwed up, it's worse.

The other thing I do, to make things easier, is to use only external hard drive trays. It makes things so much easier if I can swap drives around without having to open the case.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind