Alrighty. So, first thing I did, was take it all the way down into the center of the cabin
. Granted, it's only a Hurley 22, so it's not like it's HUGE inside. But, as I mentioned above, it's also tarped over, and has a row of trees to the immediate left. Hooked it up to the 12v I bought last night.
took approx 30 seconds to get an initial fix, four solid satellites showing on the graph, with 3 others working on a fix. It may have eventually saw more, but it's cold out, and I didn't want to wait that long lol. Powering it down and back up a few times, the sat fix came anywhere from a few seconds, to 30 seconds being the longest I had to wait. I then moved the radio back under the rear of the cabin, under the cockpit
seats. This is a location I've seen quite a few boats mount it anyway, though I'm sure those weren't GPS enabled, but rather it was just convenient for them to mount there, and allows for quick reach from the cockpit
. For reference, here's a picture of where it was.
The left edge of this picture, is the companionway
and step up. The slide-out table, I had retracted back in fully, which makes it flush and I set the radio in on there, and powered it up. Again, in 30 seconds, I had a lock with 4 up, and another couple trying. I noticed one of them was a little weaker than when it was out in the center, but was still plenty solid. They never dropped after picking up, after a few minutes of leaving it on.
Now obviously this is only a simple test, on a different boat, and in a different part of the country. But, given all the satellites overhead, I would expect similar results on most vessels, unless you mount it in the bilge