Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 06:02   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Regarding the antenna choices: we use a 9dbi antenna mounted 10-15ft off the water with no problems. I think the main reason BadBoy uses a 6dbi is to be within legal FCC limits and they use the argument about beam width to bolster their choice.

Either way, I don't think it makes much difference in practice except for the rare conditions where you might be able to hang on by your toenails to a signal with a 9dbi that just can't be accessed with a 6dbi. I have been in these situations and, while you can make a connection, the speed is so slow that you just give up.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:12   #17

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
I have a ubiquiti nanostation attached with velcro to my spinnaker pole car when I am in port/at anchor, take it down underway. The POE injector is 12v and I have power run straight from my distribution panel, instead of using the wall adapter. It has done very well for us at anchor, althought I have to switch to pick up different signals depending on whether the current is running in or out. I only wish there were a way I could filter out the secured signals when I scan for signals; the majority that show up on the scan are secured and I sometimes have to scan more than once to get my "sweet" unsecured signal.
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 13:41   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
If you are thinking of buying, I recommend the NanoStation M2 for directional and the Bullet M2 plus vertical omni for omni-directional. The new "M" versions are the new generation and support MIMO and 802.11n mode.

Here's my old HyperlinkTech Yagi with a Bullet2hp hanging off it's pig-tail:

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 09:53   #19

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
After reading this thread, I got jazzed enough to add another project to my mast work (which just happens to be off the boat and in my yard).
I ordered a M2hp bullet, a POE, a wireless LAN, some ethernet cable, hooked it all together with a 12 db antenna and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! My laptop went from 1 available LAN (mine) to 18. That's with the antenna temporarily sitting on deck, not at the masthead. I can only imagine what it's going to be like when I get the mast back up.
This is at my dock in a neighbohood, not at anchor, but I'm still impressed. Out of 18, there are four unsecured networks.

Buying the parts separately although the antenna was given to me I spent a total of just under $150.
The bullet was $79, the LAN was $38, the POE was $3.99. I just fed 12 v to the LAN and POE. They work great.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 20:06   #20

Boat: Beneteau 311
Wi fi

Great improvements.

12 dBi of gain gives you about four times the range over the original antenna, and is probably the biggest thing causing the improvement. The type of antenna is important, 12 dbi in an omni is good, but as the boat rocks you may loose signal, as the signal is only received over a few degrees - it really needs to be perfectly horizontal. Probably fine on a cat, but monohull owners may notice a drop-out when the boat rocks. :-)

A Yagi or patch array is directional, you need it pointing more or less in the direction where the signal is coming from, but the boat rocking around is not so much of an issue.

Bill
ctsbillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 20:59   #21

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I have a tri which sits quite flat even when going to weather.
If I'm heeling ten degrees, it's time to reef.
That being said, I doubt we'll be surfing the internet unless we're anchored.
That's why I went with a relatively high gain antenna. (Also, it was FREE )

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 21:28   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You shouldn't mount that omni at the masthead.... it's too high for the small vertical eopening angle (most 12dB omni's are under 30 degrees vertical angle!).

I would suggest to put it on top a bimini, radar post, arch etc.

I am currently setting up a new wifi network at shelter bay marina in Panama, using a whole bunch of Ubiquiti radios (9 access points plus 5 GHz uplinks). This stuff works so good that besides my Bullet2hp I will also buy a NanoStation 2M and a PicoStation (a new M version is coming up) and a new M version of the Bullet.

I have a 130 Mbps connection... at 300 meters from the nanostation access point with 50 boats, masts and booms in between!

The trick with the nanostations is that they are 2x2 MIMO which really helps for difficult connections.

So, bullet for omni-directional, nanostation for directional and the picostation for a small access point on the boat so that you can connect wireless with however many gadgets you have (laptops, iPods etc.)
The new M series are the new generation. There were some firmware problems (it's new...) but today I started testing with the latest beta and it works just great.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 19-04-2010, 22:26   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Can I ask a question:

In the USA do you guys have USB Broadband Internet?

Becuas rthe rest of the world has it.
And you can now buy a netowrking plug so it wirelessly hooks up your computers.

WiFi as you guys are looking at it is then obsolete

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 22:29   #24
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
in the US

Internet is available thru the cell phone providers with sticks that allow you to launch internet by satellite.

On land it comes thru land lines, via cable, and can be broadcast from a wireless station attached to the land line.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 23:37   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Internet is available thru the cell phone providers with sticks that allow you to launch internet by satellite.
I think your phone companies must be holding back on a technology they have, and the rest of the world is already using. Its a bit weird!

USB broadband from the cell phone providers via the terrestrail cell phone network is a very cheap and very reliable service.
here in Turkey is costing me about $20 for 4gb/month prepaid, no contract.

All other countries we have been in have it, plans vary, and most have unlimited downloads, speed capped by price.

It must be launched in the USA soon...

Mark

Old 20-04-2010, 04:07   #26

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
It is obviously available in the US, there is an issue with the GB limits on the cell networks so there is still a point in supplementing this with free wifi (although prices and limits on the cell networks data offerings have been improving dramatically). You also still have to procure a pay as you go SIM card for this.
Old 20-04-2010, 07:22   #27

Boat: Lagoon 380 - Times like these. Port: Mooloolaba, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I think your phone companies must be holding back on a technology they have, and the rest of the world is already using. Its a bit weird!

USB broadband from the cell phone providers via the terrestrail cell phone network is a very cheap and very reliable service.
here in Turkey is costing me about $20 for 4gb/month prepaid, no contract.

All other countries we have been in have it, plans vary, and most have unlimited downloads, speed capped by price.

It must be launched in the USA soon...

Mark

G'day MarkJ,

Which 3G provider are you using in Turkey? We have a 3G USB adaptor, and plan to get pre-paid 3G sim cards from each country we will be visiting in the Med this season. We'll also have the 'Wi-Fi for boats' system for those times when a free Wi-Fi signal comes our way.

Burls
Old 20-04-2010, 07:45   #28
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burls View Post
G'day MarkJ,

Which 3G provider are you using in Turkey? We have a 3G USB adaptor, and plan to get pre-paid 3G sim cards from each country we will be visiting in the Med this season.

Burls
Hi Burls

We are using AVEA
38 Turkish Lira for 4 GB / Month.

Vodephone was about double the price for just 1 GB, and Turkcel.

http://www.avea.com.tr/

They all work on the same speed (I don't think its wonderfully fast).

mark

Old 20-04-2010, 07:58   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
yes, but it's pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
In the USA do you guys have USB Broadband Internet?
I have an unlimited account but it runs me about $60 USD per month. In a way that's pretty cheap if you consider that I can spend a month anchored wherever I want in the Delta and everybody thinks I'm still at work.
Old 20-04-2010, 08:26   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would use 3G when Wifi isn't an option in the anchorage.

cheers,
Nick.

Tags
wifi