Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2022, 11:59   #16

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: US begins issuing and registering VHF handheld MMSIs

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
Ok. I have a FCC ships license. Do i take that MMSI, add the 8, delete the last digit, and program the HH radios thusly? Or, use the 98 prefix and drop the last 2 digits?
Based on information currently available, I don't think you can do that, except for a group MMSI. But the idea does make sense for a VHF where the owner holds another ship station license.
Old 26-12-2022, 16:45   #17

Nope, you cannot add an 8 and drop the last digit of a ship station MMSI to get a handheld identity. Not sure why that would be much benefit, since those needing a handheld identity may not have or need a ship identity too. Nor can you add a 98 to a ship station identity to get a daughter craft identity.

In the US, you can add a 0 and drop the trailing 0 of an FCC-assigned ship identity to get a group identity, but that’s only a workaround to the fact that it’s the only way to get a group identity in the US. I don’t know of any other country allowing that. It’s only allowed for group identities for FCC-licensed vessels.
joehersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 17:25   #18

Boat: Lagoon 380
US begins issuing and registering VHF handheld MMSIs

Lots of ways it doesnt work. Let me ask if there is a way for it to work.

I have a fishing boat with 5 smaller boats in tow. Small boats have HH radios. Same owner. Is there a way to provide for unique radio mmsi for each? Is the answer different for US vs ROW?
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 17:44   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
Lots of ways it doesnt work. Let me ask if there is a way for it to work.

I have a fishing boat with 5 smaller boats in tow. Small boats have HH radios. Same owner. Is there a way to provide for unique radio mmsi for each? Is the answer different for US vs ROW?
Get 5 separate licenses. You might not like that answer because of the cost, but that is the answer. If you have 5 boats "in tow" that later separate to each go fishing on their own, you can't even consider them tenders to the mother ship. Each is its own vessel, would need its own registration fees paid, etc. so getting separate licenses really is the correct answer.

In the US, you can get MMSI numbers from BoatUS or Power Squadron. That would work too, as long as you stay in US waters.
Old 29-12-2022, 14:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Get 5 separate licenses. You might not like that answer because of the cost, but that is the answer. If you have 5 boats "in tow" that later separate to each go fishing on their own, you can't even consider them tenders to the mother ship. Each is its own vessel, would need its own registration fees paid, etc. so getting separate licenses really is the correct answer.

In the US, you can get MMSI numbers from BoatUS or Power Squadron. That would work too, as long as you stay in US waters.

Non U.S. vessels can obtain “daughter craft” MMSIs, craft associated with a parent ship, for each of those in towed boats: 98MIDxxxx. US does not recognize daughter craft MMSIs. US vessels should be able to get individual “licensed by rule” MMSIs for each of those craft from US Power Squadrons or BOAT US, even if the fishing vessel is FCC licensed. Those towed boats are covered by the ships FCC station license, so they arguably are licensed by rule. USPS provided MMSIs are free.

There is a warning about using daughter craft MMSIs: make sure you never encode your EPIRB with such an MMSI if your launch has an EPIRB. COSPAS SARSAT will not recognize its alert!
joehersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2022, 14:51   #21

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

Hmmmm, I've had a portable license on my VHF for many years...
Old 30-12-2022, 07:15   #22

Boat: Sea Ray 410 Sundancer - 44ft LOA

Quote:

Please explain the above statement. I got my MMSI from BoatUS. Does this mean my VHF distress button does not work in the bahamas? Or it will only communicate with other VHF’s that got the “US only” MMSI numbers?

If this is the case, BoatUS should have let me know this, considering I am only 50 miles from the Bahamas.
Dani-lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2022, 07:19   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporware View Post
Boat US MMSI's may be used on handhelds.
Correct I believe. Also, the MMSI belongs to the boat, not the radio. That means any radio on the boat. We are international and my station license is for the vessel.

FYI, seven seasons in the Caribbean and we have never been required to show our station license.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2022, 12:23   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani-lu View Post
Please explain the above statement. I got my MMSI from BoatUS. Does this mean my VHF distress button does not work in the bahamas? Or it will only communicate with other VHF’s that got the “US only” MMSI numbers?

If this is the case, BoatUS should have let me know this, considering I am only 50 miles from the Bahamas.

"BoatUS has been authorized by both the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the U.S. Coast Guard to assign MMSI numbers to vessels with DSC capable radios that are not required by law to carry a radio, and do not make international voyages or communications. BoatUS is responsible for relaying the MMSI registration information to the U.S. Coast Guard for search and rescue purposes."

https://www.boatus.com/products-and-...embership/mmsi
Old 30-12-2022, 13:28   #25

Quote:

My understanding is:

1. They will hear you but may not have any identifying information to know who you are or what vessel you are in.

2. Transmitting on your VHF internationally without an FCC issued ship station license and MMSI is not legal.
Plumbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2022, 16:35   #26

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRN View Post
Hmmmm, I've had a portable license on my VHF for many years...
Same here as FCC has been issuing "Portable" designations for some time. But the MMSI (issued by FCC) does not begin with 8MID. Still works, but seems this brings the US more in line with ITU / world practices?

I'm guessing the FCC will want another fee if I were to request a new MMSI assignment with the updated 8MID convention?
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2022, 17:07   #27

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
If you want to call them independently, then they each need their own MMSI. If you don't leave the US, you could get them from BoatUS or Power Squadron. If you didn't mind both dinks sharing an MMSI (is that REALLY an issue?) then you could use the MMSI from the mother ship, or use a group MMSI created from the mothership. (drop the 0 from the end, and add a 0 to the front).

If you REALLY need unique MMSI numbers for your dinks, then they each need a license. But, the new license isn't for dinks, it is for radios which move between ships. Those ships would have different MMSI numbers, and you can't simply change the MMSI number on your handheld as you jump from ship to ship. So, the handheld gets its own license.

Edit:
I do not believe DSC demands unique numbers. I believe you can program the same MMSI number in multiple radios. Then call from one to the others by that MMSI number. Or, use a group MMSI number to make the call.

They need their own MMSI number if you want to do something like position requests and reports, which is potentially useful. In practice I find that DSC is too klunky to be of any practical value for routine communications.
Old 30-12-2022, 19:24   #28

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehersey View Post
There is a warning about using daughter craft MMSIs: make sure you never encode your EPIRB with such an MMSI if your launch has an EPIRB. COSPAS SARSAT will not recognize its alert!

I'm not entirely sure this is even possible. I have never bought an EPIRB new, so I don't have direct experience. However, my boat came with an EPIRB, which I've registered in my name. It does not have an MMSI, it has no way to enter one, and I am not sure what it would do if it had one.

Am I missing something? What does an EPIRB do with an MMSI?
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2022, 20:23   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
I'm not entirely sure this is even possible. I have never bought an EPIRB new, so I don't have direct experience. However, my boat came with an EPIRB, which I've registered in my name. It does not have an MMSI, it has no way to enter one, and I am not sure what it would do if it had one.

Am I missing something? What does an EPIRB do with an MMSI?
The MMSI is entered with your registration information. I think it is optional to enter it, but highly recommended. PLB's, which are essentially the same thing do not have an MMSI field on the form. An MMSI is not programmed into the EPIRB.

I cannot speak to if SARSAT or COSPAS would ignore the activation or not. I would assume not, as it would be very negligent to ignore an activation. 100% positive, they would receive the activation, they would look up the EPIRB registration, and see all your registration information and the MMSI, or no MMSI if you didn't enter one.
Old 30-12-2022, 20:31   #30

Quote:

It's right there on the page for requesting an MMSI, under registration criteria. If you are in the Bahamas, you MUST pay for an FCC license and get an FCC issued MMSI.

https://www.boatus.com/products-and-...embership/mmsi
Quote:
Do not communicate with or visit foreign ports (i.e. Canada, Bahamas, Mexico, and the Caribbean)

Tags
vhf