Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2017, 13:41   #16

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot
Re: Unable to reset Lowrance MMSI, still usable without DSC?

Why did you have the same MMSI number for both units? I also have a SH handheld as well as a SH fixed set but they both have different MMSI numbers. The handheld has an MMSI number that tags it as a handheld as opposed to a fixed unit, The handheld is assigned to me not my boat so I can take it with me anywhere, although in UK at least you are not supposed to use it unless you are on a boat (ie you cannot use it on the dock for example) I believe it is possible to get a license to use it off a boat but have not looked into the requirements since it is not something I need.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 14:48   #17
rbk

Boat: T37

MMSI are assigned to the station not to the boat and are non-transferable no matter what make or model you have. HOWEVER...you can change the registered information attached to that MMSI(in Canada at least) being that the MMSI number for the VHF station stays the same but the information in the MMSI database stating owner info can be amended and would assume vessel info as well. I have done this with a change of ownership of a vessel but have not changed the vessel (i.e. took the DSC radio to another boat).
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 13:06   #18

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
Why did you have the same MMSI number for both units? I also have a SH handheld as well as a SH fixed set but they both have different MMSI numbers. The handheld has an MMSI number that tags it as a handheld as opposed to a fixed unit, The handheld is assigned to me not my boat so I can take it with me ....
You're in the U.K., where the regulating agency has figured out how to issue MMSI numbers for handheld radios not associated with a particular vessel.

I think ORANGE CRUSH (the thread starter) lives in the U.S.A., where the regulating agency (the FCC) has not figured out how to issue an MMSI for a handheld radio that is not associated with a particular vessel, and, further, has informed that the handheld should use the MMSI of the vessel.

Compare at:

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/at...-12-1989A1.pdf

The FCC seems to be stuck in a mode where they issue an MMSI as part of a SHIP STATION LICENSE, and charge you $215 every ten years for that license.

How much is a ship station license and MMSI in the U.K.?
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 19:10   #19

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltic sailor View Post
...Lawrence bought navman...
If you are trying to say that Lowrance bought Navman, I would disagree.

NAVMAN was bought by BRUNSWICK, when they were on a path to acquire more marine-market companies. NAVMAN became part of BRUNSWiCK NEW TECHNOLOGIES. But it was not a good fit. A few years later, Brunswick sold off Navman to NAVICO.

Here is some accurate information about that purchase and later sell-off:

NAVMAN, NORTHSTAR SOLD!
Navman, Northstar Sold! - Moderated Discussion Areas

NAVICO was a company created by merging SIMRAD and LOWRANCE, who were both owned by the same parent company (with a different name).

So it is not quite correct to say "Lowrance bought NAVMAN." The actual chain of events is more like this:

NAVMAN was bought by BRUNSWICK NEW TECHNOLOGIES

LOWRANCE was bought Altor Equity Partners

Altor Equity Partners merged LOWRANCE and SIMRAD into NAVICO

BRUNSWICK NEW TECHNOLOGIES sold their holdings, including NAVMAN, to NAVICO.

Cf.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navico
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc