Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2016, 19:49   #1

Boat: C&C Frigate 36
ST60 Speedo

I have ST 60 instruments. Older boat but only second year with me. C&C Frigate 36. Last year the knotmeter worked. This year it doesn't. All other masthead and depth do work. I removed paddles and spun them. Speed registered. I figured that's great it was just that it was my first sail of the year and the paddle needed a little encouragement. Put back in, mopped up the water and went sailing today. Low and behold, no knots just 3 dashes like before. When I had the paddles out the instrument read zeros when not moving and numbers as I rotated the paddle. Same dashes show on all instrument read outs for speed. This is, no mater what readout I use its just speed not working so I don't think it's the display. Any suggestions?
Thanks
P

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Atlantic Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 19:53   #2

Boat: Bavaria 47
Re: ST60 Speedo

Bad connection. Possibly even on the temperature sensor.
Old 17-07-2016, 14:50   #3

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

check your wiring..

st60 will have a 5 way connection as the following..
red : speed +ve
green : speed signal
screen : ground
Brown : thermistor
white : thermistor

A bad thermistor, or lack thereof will not be the problem, it is not required to be present for speed to work.. if your speed log is a combined speed/temp then there should be ~10kohm between brown and white.

check there is voltage between red and screen, this is the supply the goes to the paddle... cannot recall the exact voltage you can find it online..i *think* its about 6V or so
If you can pull the transducer, the voltage between screen and green will go from 0V to the voltage previously measured for every 90 degree movement of the paddle wheel.

it IS possible you have a bad transducer.. mine died two years ago...but certainly check the wiring first.. and, if necessary, you can cut the cable near the transducer and install a terminal block.

The other outside possiblility is that if you dont have SOG on the seatalk then its a possibility that your ST60 has defaulted to reading SOG vs Speed... this is a dealer setup config.. and the natural default for the instrument.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 18:47   #4

Boat: C&C Frigate 36

Update on speedo. Have not yet had opportunity to put any suggestions to work. Went sailing today and knots started to display! Then after about 2 hours it stopped but instead of going to dashes it displayed zeros. It happened when we fell into a hole for a few minutes but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. We also steamed back at about 6 knots (I guess!) and it didn't work so I discounted debris on paddle. Ugh.
P

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Atlantic Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 19:38   #5

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

very possibly a bad cable. mine did exactly the same, finally found a frayed area. Cut it out and spliced, all ok now.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 05:09   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ent-15440.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 00:37   #7

Boat: Bavaria 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
A bad thermistor, or lack thereof will not be the problem, it is not required to be present for speed to work...
On the contrary, it most certainly is.