Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2014, 12:16   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Software upgrade to Raymarine E120 Arrrrrgh!

I have a Raymarine E120, 2007. Never done a software upgrade. Bought a Navionics CF card with Canadian charts for our trip to New Brunswick. Chip doesn't run on my E120. Raymarine says I need a software upgrade.

Bought a small 128 MB Sandisk CF card (what they recommended) formated it, downloaded and unzipped the upgrade file from the Raymarine website. This upgrade has an auto run file that is supposed to initiate the upgrade when you insert the card and turn on the unit. Nothing doing. Unit turns on, and then goes to the default screen.

Raymarine says one of their vendors, Radar Marine in Seattle, sells the card with the upgrade on it, guaranteed to fire up. What is going on here? What am I missing? Grrrrr.

Some of you software gurus must know......Thanks.
Calypso52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 12:33   #2

Re: Software upgrade to Raymarine E120 Arrrrrgh!

Silly Question.. But.. when you got the new 128MB CF card, what computer did you use to put the files on it? (Did you format the card first?) It should be formatted fat 16 with a standard MBR. On a PC there is a good chance it was done that way. On a mac, there is a smaller card. I just did 2 e120 upgrades and (since I was unable to get hold of a smaller card) used the 2G navionics card.... All good.. and then deleted the old files and system runs fine....
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 12:38   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I did my C80 last year and it just worked, unlike the Garmin. However, I am suspicious of the Navionics Card and the new 128mb card not working. Might be more going on here. Know of anyone with another E series chart plotter you could swop cards with?

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 14:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I did my C80 last year and it just worked, unlike the Garmin. However, I am suspicious of the Navionics Card and the new 128mb card not working. Might be more going on here. Know of anyone with another E series chart plotter you could swop cards with?

Pete
Also, the CF cards are 'keyed' so it is 'impossible' to put them in wrong.... but.. I have seen (do not ask how) that there are some that can do the impossible....

Also check out (with a good flashlight) that all the pins in the socket you insert the CF card are straight and not broken, and there is NOTHING that is impeding the cards insertion.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 16:10   #5

Boat: Valiant 42

Raymarine units only work with certain brands of CF cards and also only with certain sizes of cards. I think 128MB is a legal size but you may want to ask Raymarine. Is the brand Sandisk or is it a discount no name brand card? The brand issue is very frustrating sometimes.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 18:28   #6

Boat: C&C 34

Did you do it like this:

Updating the A Series, C Series Classic/Wide, E Series Classic/Wide MFD's Software
  1. Power OFF the MFD.
  2. Insert the CF memory card containing the software update files into the MFD’s memory card reader.
  3. Power ON the MFD.
  4. After the MFD has booted to its Raymarine Software Upgrade Utility screen, select the software upgrade package from the Upgrade Packages Available list.
  5. Press the UPGRADE THIS UNIT function key.
  6. When the progress indicator's Overall bar reaches 100%, the MFD's software will have been upgraded.
  7. Remove the CF memory card from the MFD's memory card reader.
  8. Press MFD's red power button to power OFF the MFD.
  9. Press and hold the first (Left Hand) softkey on the MFD. Keeping the softkey held down, press the red power button to power ON the MFD. This will perform a reset of the unit. Do not skip this step.
  10. The unit will notify you that the reset has completed after the count down by a beep. You can now release the softkey.

Note: C Wide and E Wide displays differ to the above and will take you to a menu screen to perform the reset. Select the Reset option in this menu and wait until it completes and then reboot the display.
  1. Verify that the MFD's software has been updated.
  2. The MFD's software version may be verified via the command sequence MENU->SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS->SOFTWARE SERVICES->UNIT INFO; Inspect the item labeled APP VERSION

http://www.raymarine.com/knowledgeba....cfm?view=3776

It has taken me a few tries on several machines. Sometimes a factory reset will help.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 07:39   #7

Where did you manage to find a 128 MB card? The smallest ones I can find are 4 GB.
yvrdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 17:10   #8

Thanks all for your suggestions. Here are the answers to your questions:

Waterman - yes formatted on a PC with the default settings
Pete7 - E120 has worked with no issue for seven years. Works fine when I put the USA chip back in
Waterman - card goes "home" just like the USA card
Transmitterdan - Can is a Sandisk 128 card, the one recommended by Raymarine
Opie 91 - Does not get to step four. Boots up like the upgrade card (or any card) is not there. Goes to the default worldwide chart. I did a factory reset.
YVRdennis - here is where I bought the card. Amazon or Ebay, don't recall.

Qty Item Options Price
1 NEW 128MB Sandisk CF Card Compact Flash OEM Genuine with jewel case CompactFlash
Item # 280931398064 $17.99 USD
Amount $17.99 USD

Business Contact Information

Customer Service URL: Welcome to Gayatri Electronic Repair Company
Customer Service Email:
harishbpate

I have ordered the upgrade card from Raymarine's subcontractor, Radar Marine, $45, "guaranteed" to boot up. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 29-06-2014, 07:51   #9

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I upgraded a E80 classic using a 4GB CF card. Likely you formatted the CF card incorrectly.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 15:08   #10

Ok it's working now.

Ordered the software upgrade from Radar Marine in Washington state. $45. It came on a 32MB San Disk CF card.
Software upgrade proceeded without a hitch first attempt. However, it still would not read the Canadian chart CF card. I had to cycle it several times. Now it reads the US chip and the Canadian chip, no issues.
Old 24-06-2015, 08:26   #11

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso52 View Post
Ok it's working now.

Ordered the software upgrade from Radar Marine in Washington state. $45. It came on a 32MB San Disk CF card.
Software upgrade proceeded without a hitch first attempt. However, it still would not read the Canadian chart CF card. I had to cycle it several times. Now it reads the US chip and the Canadian chip, no issues.
Late to the party...

I have a line on a NOS E120, and know that it will require a SW update if I buy it.

What did you mean by 'cycle it several times'? SW updated successfully (well, proceeded without a hitch), but no joy, recycle - as in, turn the MFD on and off several times, or insert/remove the chip, or something else?

Thanks,

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine, software