Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2016, 17:27   #1

Boat: Pearson 323
Raymarine ST6002 Autopilot

Hi, I have a Raymarine ST6002 autopilot on a Pearson 323 I purchased last year. I haven't used it much but have discovered it will disengage when I am sailing and will only work when the boat is on an even keel and motoring. Shouldn't it also work when sailing? I suspect it should as it has an auto tack feature. Any ideas on what the issue may be? Thanks, Scott
SLynds3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 17:38   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Raymarine ST6002 Autopilot

Its possibly a voltage problem. When you are on an even keel the engine is running and the alternator is charging. The voltage will be higher. Check the batteries and wiring to the autopilot.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 17:40   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Yes, of course it should work under sail. When you say disengage do you mean goes to Standby. If you search around here you'll find many threads with comments on their Ray AP doing the same. One thing to check is that the main power to the AP computer is adequately wired and at a high enough voltage. When the unit drives the rudder hard it draws significant amperage. If the unit is not powered well enough the voltage will drop and the unit will drop out.
Old 24-08-2016, 17:55   #4

Hello, 3434, I have the same 6002. When I first bought the boat, the auto pilot worked intermittently. I had a marine electrician come down, for 90 bucks an hr, and he found that the connection to the motor on the wheel was loose, wore out. He refitted it with some electrical tape. Took him five minutes, maybe ten. He then went through my boat for the last 55 minutes and showed me what was going on electrically. It was well worth the money. He taught me a bunch about the boat's electrical system. So, I'd look there first. Right where the wire connects to the motor. He started by checking the voltage where the motor's power cable comes into and connects to the "brain", the Smart Pilot computer. He then checked the voltage at the motor, it was low. Maybe you'll get lucky! All the manuals are online. You can download them and print out. Very helpful in programming and getting the most out of your autopilot. Mine works great sailing.Kevin
VirginiaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 14:55   #5

Hi, What happens is that the arm that is used to engage the belt that moves the wheel disengages. It just flops back up and this only happens when we are under sail and there appears to be more load on the system. I can hear the motor still trying to move the belt/wheel if that makes any sense.Scott
Old 25-08-2016, 18:32   #6

3434, You need to down load the manual and stuff off the net and look at adjusting the clutch and lever. You can check the belt inside the gray cover on your steering wheel, while you are at it. It's easy, but you gotta get the manual. Here is the installation guide ... http://www.seatronic.no/pdf/Raymarine/spx10-30.pdf
here is the Operating guide ... http://www.seatechltd.gr/gr/Manuals/...ion_Manual.pdf
Here is the commissioning guide... http://c470.jerodisys.com/470Lib/sp8001b.pdf
These are tough to read at first, just keep reading. after a while you will get it. It is actually pretty straight forward, if I can get it!
I printed them out and put them in a binder, so's I can refer to them. It will help you out a lot. Easy stuff, just start reading, you'll get it. Look up adjusting the clutch. You can see what belt you have and order a spare off of Amazon for 20 bucks, while you are at it. Hope this helps, Kevin
Old 25-08-2016, 18:37   #7

https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/z3om.../28177322462/1
This is the drive clutch manual from the Raymarine site. Just what you are looking for! Go here and click on WHeel Drive on the right hand side of the screen. Manuals and Documents | Raymarine Kevin
Old 27-08-2016, 02:57   #8

Thanks everyone for you input and assistance. I will download the manuals and see what I can do. I'll let you know how I make out! Scott

Tags
autopilot, marine, raymarine