Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 00:03   #1

Boat: Roberts Mauritius 45
Send a message via Skype™ to meridian@
Raymarine AIS Sucks

I have just completed a 7 week delivery of a cat with full Raymarine gear including C-120 chart plotter, depth, wind, radar and AIS.

When it detects an AIS target, the full AIS data will tell you name, destination, speed, course,etc. It will tell you the time and distance to CPA, but does not show where this is! eg it will tell you 1.234 miles in 12 min 30 secs, but not where you and the target will be then.

I am used to running SOB software that shows a double headed arrow at the CPA, so you can see instantly if he will pass in front or behind you.

paulr
meridian@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 00:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I find it really good? And I have similar system to what you describe
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 15:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian@ View Post
I have just completed a 7 week delivery of a cat with full Raymarine gear including C-120 chart plotter, depth, wind, radar and AIS.

When it detects an AIS target, the full AIS data will tell you name, destination, speed, course,etc. It will tell you the time and distance to CPA, but does not show where this is! eg it will tell you 1.234 miles in 12 min 30 secs, but not where you and the target will be then.

I am used to running SOB software that shows a double headed arrow at the CPA, so you can see instantly if he will pass in front or behind you.

paulr
Whats wrong with looking at the radar? Surely the AIS shows on that screen? Even if it doesn't then should have MARPA which will warn you of all vessels as well as other targets of interest?
There is a note on Raymarine's web site that AIS has a problem with the latest release of software for the E series, maybe you are seeing it on the C series? Please also it is note wise to rely on AIS since not all vessels have it let alone use it correctly.
Bazzer
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 15:53   #4

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
I have the same Raymarine stup and I agree with you. We have had a few times where the CPA was less than 1/2 mile, but not knowing if the ship is going to pass in front or behind you makes the decision of which way to turn much harder. When the CPA is close RADAR doesn't help with this decision either. If the CPA is really close (.1 mile or so) I'll try turning one way and if the CPA gets larger then I continue that way.
But it would sure be nice to have that one extra bit of information.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 17:21   #5

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
The Raymarine AIS shows the vessels position, course, speed and closest point of approach. Why can't you ascertain where the ship is going given the above information. It would be nice if the AIS drew a picture on the screen of where the ship is headed and put in a picture of your boat and maybe steer your boat out of harms way but then what would you do?

Jim

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 19:32   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian@ View Post

paulr
Are you saying it does not show a relative motion vector?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 19:54   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
C series plotters most definitely have a Cog/sog vector though it has to turned on in the menus. When you make a AIS target active it shows a vector showing where the vessel is expected to be hence you can determine if it will pass ahead or astern also as a quick check the target " triangle" is orientated along the cog vector
Dave
Old 20-12-2010, 12:11   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Sheriff
intresting
Old 20-12-2010, 12:43   #9

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Isn't this a matter of basic seamanship here? Changing bearings, increasing or decreasing should tell you whether it's passing ahead or astern of you as appropriate. Ship on stbd bow decreasing bearing will pass ahead of you, increasing bearing will pass astern of you. The 'old' methods still work and it helps to understand them. Having the cpa given to you is a bonus. It's surprising to me that the electronics don't do it for you but there is enough 'slop' in electronic readouts and information that it's always well advised to also use the tried and proven methods.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, raymarine