Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2015, 07:54   #16

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 34
Re: Pedestal compass on Oceanis 34

Thanks all for the help. I thought I would give an update. Removed the plotter, wind and depth instruments and got the same deviations. So I'm off to get the compass re-swung. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone in the Lake Macquarie area of NSW, Australia?
capblasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 10:03   #17

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capblasters View Post
Thanks all for the help. I thought I would give an update. Removed the plotter, wind and depth instruments and got the same deviations. So I'm off to get the compass re-swung. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone in the Lake Macquarie area of NSW, Australia?
Thanks for the update. I thought you had said that a handheld compass would also show significant deviation when placed in that area. Did I get that right and does that still happen with all the electronics removed?

In any event, if you want to compensate the compass you may be surprised to find that it is very easy to do it yourself if you read the instructions.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 11:44   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 48

We have twin pedestals and the deviation was huge, had to have both re-sung and let no-one near who has a blackberry phone!!
mlthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 19:29   #19

Boat: beneteau clipper oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by capblasters View Post
I've looked around trying to see if other Benneteau owners have had this issue to no avail so forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum for this.

I have a Benneteau 34 with a pedestal compass issue. The compass is not giving me the correct heading information. I have checked it against a number of other magnetic compasses which all agree with the autopilot compass and course over ground. The only one that points in wrong is the pedestal compass. This has been an issue since I have owner the yacht (15 months) of its 30 month life. The difference is not about magnetic and true. The difference is between 25 and 30 degrees.

A tech has suggested it is because the chart plotter is too close to the compass and is providing interference. This make sense to me except the plotter was fitted to the yacht by Benneteau and is the standard design. Could it be that they have a flaw in their design? The only suggestion I have thus far is to install a new compass on the bulkhead away from the electronics of the chart plotter.

Happy to do so if that is the best solution.
I have a Clipper 33.1 and had the some problem when I got it. In my magnetic compasses (not sure if it happens with your) there are 3 screw at the base of the compass that are exacly for fine adjustement. Desasemble the fitting screws on top of compass (they are cover with plastic covers) and take it out a few inches (there are electrical cables on the way) suficient for a small Stanless Stell screw driver to fit in and make manual adjust using a accurate Compass to double check position.
this works on mine.
regards and good luke
lsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 13:05   #20

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 34

I'll have a look and give it a try in the next couple of weeks when back in the water.

Graham
capblasters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass, oceanis, pedestal