Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2015, 03:02   #1

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 34
Pedestal compass on Oceanis 34

I've looked around trying to see if other Benneteau owners have had this issue to no avail so forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum for this.

I have a Benneteau 34 with a pedestal compass issue. The compass is not giving me the correct heading information. I have checked it against a number of other magnetic compasses which all agree with the autopilot compass and course over ground. The only one that points in wrong is the pedestal compass. This has been an issue since I have owner the yacht (15 months) of its 30 month life. The difference is not about magnetic and true. The difference is between 25 and 30 degrees.

A tech has suggested it is because the chart plotter is too close to the compass and is providing interference. This make sense to me except the plotter was fitted to the yacht by Benneteau and is the standard design. Could it be that they have a flaw in their design? The only suggestion I have thus far is to install a new compass on the bulkhead away from the electronics of the chart plotter.

Happy to do so if that is the best solution.
capblasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 03:09   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: Pedestal compass on Oceanis 34

If the Chartplotter is providing interference you can simply run a test by powering it on and off and watch for deflection as it is powered on.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 03:24   #3

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capblasters View Post
I've looked around trying to see if other Benneteau owners have had this issue to no avail so forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum for this.

I have a Benneteau 34 with a pedestal compass issue. The compass is not giving me the correct heading information. I have checked it against a number of other magnetic compasses which all agree with the autopilot compass and course over ground. The only one that points in wrong is the pedestal compass. This has been an issue since I have owner the yacht (15 months) of its 30 month life. The difference is not about magnetic and true. The difference is between 25 and 30 degrees.

A tech has suggested it is because the chart plotter is too close to the compass and is providing interference. This make sense to me except the plotter was fitted to the yacht by Benneteau and is the standard design. Could it be that they have a flaw in their design? The only suggestion I have thus far is to install a new compass on the bulkhead away from the electronics of the chart plotter.

Happy to do so if that is the best solution.
What type of autopilot do you have? Wheel drive? If so plese post a photo of the whole pedestal taken from the stern.

I have seen many Beneteaus and Jennneaus with a wheel drive installed in such a way that the electric motor is too close to the compass. I had mine rotated to another of the "positions" described in the Raymarine manual and it has worked perfectly since.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 15:52   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

We have an Oceanis 37 which I believe has the same pedestal arrangement, along with a Simrad MFD and under deck AP. We don't have the type of deviation you're talking about, and I'd be surprised if the pedestal would've been designed that way if there was a common conflict. Do you have any speakers, buzzers, or anything else like that anywhere near the compass? Also, have you tried removing the compass from the pedestal to see if it reads accurately when separated?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Davidasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 12:11   #5

Did think of this. No difference, thanks though. I'm a big believer is check the easy things first.
Old 26-03-2015, 18:21   #6

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. Work work work. I need to retire!

So to Jacob30 - I did try powering off, even taking all batteries off to no avail So it's not simply a power issue.

SVLAMOROCHA - Autopilot si a Simrad AC42, wheel drive. Photo attached. If you still think you've got a solution for, can you be more specific please.

DAVIDASAILOR - No speakers, etc in the area. Have yet to try removing the compass to have it checked out BUT if I put my sighting compass right on top of the pedestal compass it get the same deviation. Leading me to think it's something in the area. I am contemplating removing the plotter to see if that has an effect. Might be bigger job than I think so waiting for other simpler suggestions first.
Old 26-03-2015, 18:55   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

We have a Simrad MFD on ours. I've removed and reinstalled it to install a wifi module. It's quite easy to remove. There are a couple of trim pieces that pop off to expose the mounting screws. Then just remove the screws, pull the unit out and unscrew the connectors.

Incidentally, if you have the same Simrad NSS8 as us, the installation manual does recommend at least one meter of separation between the MFD and a compass, so I guess it is possible for them to interfere although we haven't experienced it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Davidasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 20:01   #8

Thanks for that. I too read the manual and saw the recommendation. I am just surprised that Benneteau would have designed it this way. The NSS8 was installed as part of their package. Hopefully, I can figure something out.
Old 27-03-2015, 05:55   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Thanks for that. I too read the manual and saw the recommendation. I am just surprised that Benneteau would have designed it this way. The NSS8 was installed as part of their package. Hopefully, I can figure something out.
I have no idea whether it applies to your chart/plotter but some have "chip" compartments that are held closed by magnetic clips. The magnets, tho' small, are quite powerful and do adversely effect a near-by compass. The only cure is to remove the chart/plotter sufficiently far from the compass; or, remove the magnet from the chart/plotter. There were several discussions on this matter in other threads several years ago that you might search out, including one with detailed instructions on opening and removing the magnet from the chart/plotter. Doing so would "void" the warranty of a new plotter but if yours is already out of warranty, it wouldn't make any difference.

FWIW...

PS: Because of this problem, we went through the business of taking various plotters back to our boat, positioning them where they would be when permanently mounted and temporarily powering them with a small 12v battery to determine whether they had any effect on our compass via magnets or power. Several did and were returned to the vendor before we found one acceptable.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 06:47   #10

Quote:
SVLAMOROCHA - Autopilot si a Simrad AC42, wheel drive. Photo attached. If you still think you've got a solution for, can you be more specific please.

There is no photo attached. Please post it or send me a PM with your email address to exchange emails.
Old 27-03-2015, 12:09   #11

Second try at posting the photo of the chart plotter on a Benneteau Oceanis 34.

Old 27-03-2015, 19:15   #12

OK, I've this twice now. Apparently I need to become a 'trusted' user. How does one do this? I'll try a link to the photo on my Dropbox, but suspect I will have a similar problem.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rp0l6gxick..._0177.jpg?dl=0
Old 28-03-2015, 00:10   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
OK, I've this twice now. Apparently I need to become a 'trusted' user. How does one do this? I'll try a link to the photo on my Dropbox, but suspect I will have a similar problem.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rp0l6gxick..._0177.jpg?dl=0

All sorted, you should be able to post links now.

Pete

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 12:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
There is no photo attached. Please post it or send me a PM with your email address to exchange emails.
You do not have a wheel drive pilot so the deviation must come from the plotter or the two instrument displays. I suggest you first check if the deviation varies when you turn things on/off and then try removing the plotter and the instruments one at a time. I am afraid that compass is too close to the plotter for my comfort..

I say all this on the understanding that a handheld compass gets the same deviation. If that is not the case then the compass needs to be compensated.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-03-2015, 16:18   #15

svlamorocha - Yes, deviation is the same. When the rain clears I will begin removing instruments, starting with the plotter.

To all others - I am still looking to see if a fellow Benneteau (Oceanis) owner has a similar installation with a similar problem. That information would go a long way to helping me understand whether this is a design problem or a one-off on my boat.

Thanks,
Graham

Tags
compass, oceanis, pedestal