Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2015, 13:58   #121

Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
If your dongle is a real RTL8192CU you do not need anything else. Drivers are in core on linux and openplotter detects him and loads the right hostapd file to work as an access point.

Open a terminal and type lsusb and paste here what you see.
I'm assuming its a real one.
When I plug it in, nothing happens.
Here is the lsusb as requested. It recognises it as "Bus 001 Device 008"

pi@openplotter ~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0bda:818b Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0409:0050 NEC Corp. 7-port hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0461:4d16 Primax Electronics, Ltd
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 045e:00b0 Microsoft Corp. Digital Media Pro Keyboard
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
pi@openplotter ~ $

Thank you.
Harry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 14:07   #122

Boat: Laguna 33

Once I got that far I think it just worked.

Do note that some SDR adapters for AIS will also show up as Realtek in that list.
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 14:10   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqqara View Post
Once I got that far I think it just worked.

Do note that some SDR adapters for AIS will also show up as Realtek in that list.
Is there anything else I need to do when I plug it in?
I don't have a wifi symbol, only an Ethernet network symbol top right of screen.

I don't have an SDR at the moment so cant be that.
Old 11-12-2015, 14:49   #124

I don't know much of what I'm talking about, but it seems to me if lsusb shows the thing, then the next step is running:

sudo ifconfig
Old 11-12-2015, 17:06   #125

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Sounds good, do you have any example of sensor and code different than temp?
DS2413 dual-channel programmable I/O
https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS2413.pdf
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1551

DS2450 1-Wire Quad A/D Converter
https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS2450.pdf

As far as software, I guess OWFS might be the best:
owfs Development Site - Raspberry Pi
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 18:29   #126

Some findings with today's new release.

I configured a switch on GPIO22 and an action to shutdown the pi when switch was turned off. It never seemed to do anything, I cycled it multiple times, rebooted, tried again. It worked for me in prior versions. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

iPhone "Boat Instruments" app by Imray, the Heading needle jumped around when I had deviation calculation turned on. Seems you use a distinct HDG sentence for that, and he's treating ,, as ,0, or something. I wonder if the expectation is that deviation is sent in the same sentence with the heading? Not a problem for me, I can use another app or disable deviation, just reporting it.

Signal K panel: I still get no instruments. Prior to the Jessie image I could get something, if I had a GPS dongle connected at least. I get a toolbar and it says 1833px. I do see data flowing if I look at the consumer example page.

OpenCPN dashboard doesn't support the flavor of Air temp and Air pressure you are sending. Since the iOS apps I use do, I suppose this is a shortcoming of OpenCPN dashboard plugin, or maybe we can send sentences in both formats?

Might it be possible to support momentary switches? I find these toggle switches old fashioned. Seems like most electronics these days use a momentary switch. Press once for on, press again for off, and so on. Also consider that switches of very different forms could be useful triggers; such as a reed switch and magnet on a hatch board, or a float switch...

I love this software and what you are doing. Keep going!
Old 12-12-2015, 03:43   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Brown View Post
I'm assuming its a real one.
When I plug it in, nothing happens.
Here is the lsusb as requested. It recognises it as "Bus 001 Device 008"

pi@openplotter ~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0409:0050 NEC Corp. 7-port hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0461:4d16 Primax Electronics, Ltd
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 045e:00b0 Microsoft Corp. Digital Media Pro Keyboard
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
pi@openplotter ~ $

Thank you.
As I thought your device is not a real RTL8192CU, is a RTL8192EU:

It is a common issue with not reliable distributors. This chipset driver is not on linux core. Although OpenPlotter detects this chipset and loads a compiled hostapd file for this chipset to work as an access point, you need that linux is able to load drivers for this chipset.

We were compiling this driver on openplotter to be able to use RTL8192EU but on this last beta I forgot it . You can follow the method suggested by saqqara or wait until monday and I will post the files and steps to do it with this last beta image.Last OpenPlotter stable release 0.5.0 works with RTL8192EU if you want to test.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:52   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Done, up and running. That was quick, mention a timer and within a few hours there is one

So is the idea that the wait action triggers twitter/gmail sending? I'll have a play with that next, maybe with a spare ds18b20.

Thanks, great stuff.
Wait action is intended to freeze all actions for x seconds. For example: you have set a motion sensor as switch and set a trigger for run actions when this switch is on (motion sensor detect motion). If you want to set an action to send a mail when motion is detected you need to set a wait action to have time to go out of your boat
Old 12-12-2015, 03:55   #129

Quote:
I haven't done any pi or arduino projects that made it beyond the benchtop. Is this what I probably need to get from jumper wires and alligator clips to a more permanent prototype I can sail with?

Original Raspberry Pi B Accessories Prototype Pi Plate RPI B Plus Free Shipping | eBay
Yes, it should work. I like it!
Old 12-12-2015, 03:56   #130

Smile Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
As I thought your device is not a real RTL8192CU, is a RTL8192EU:

It is a common issue with not reliable distributors. This chipset driver is not on linux core. Although OpenPlotter detects this chipset and loads a compiled hostapd file for this chipset to work as an access point, you need that linux is able to load drivers for this chipset.

We were compiling this driver on openplotter to be able to use RTL8192EU but on this last beta I forgot it . You can follow the method suggested by saqqara or wait until monday and I will post the files and steps to do it with this last beta image.Last OpenPlotter stable release 0.5.0 works with RTL8192EU if you want to test.
You know what. I can't believe the help you give to people regarding Openplotter!! Thank you very much, much appreciated!!
I think I will wait until Monday as I tried Saqqara's way but couldn't figure it out.
Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:03   #131

Quote:

I configured a switch on GPIO22 and an action to shutdown the pi when switch was turned off. It never seemed to do anything, I cycled it multiple times, rebooted, tried again. It worked for me in prior versions. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

iPhone "Boat Instruments" app by Imray, the Heading needle jumped around when I had deviation calculation turned on. Seems you use a distinct HDG sentence for that, and he's treating ,, as ,0, or something. I wonder if the expectation is that deviation is sent in the same sentence with the heading? Not a problem for me, I can use another app or disable deviation, just reporting it.

Signal K panel: I still get no instruments. Prior to the Jessie image I could get something, if I had a GPS dongle connected at least. I get a toolbar and it says 1833px. I do see data flowing if I look at the consumer example page.

OpenCPN dashboard doesn't support the flavor of Air temp and Air pressure you are sending. Since the iOS apps I use do, I suppose this is a shortcoming of OpenCPN dashboard plugin, or maybe we can send sentences in both formats?

Might it be possible to support momentary switches? I find these toggle switches old fashioned. Seems like most electronics these days use a momentary switch. Press once for on, press again for off, and so on. Also consider that switches of very different forms could be useful triggers; such as a reed switch and magnet on a hatch board, or a float switch...

Let me see all this on Monday. If you want to have more data when reporting you can open openplotter in debug mode. Type in a terminal:

cd
python .config/openplotter/openplotter.py

openplotter will run and if there are errors something will be impressed in the terminal window. Copy and paste and we will have more information to deal with.

thanks for your help saqqara
Old 12-12-2015, 11:44   #132
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Look forward to it, thanks. Should have a MPU-9250 and BMP180 turning up soon from amazon to have a play with as well.
BMP180 turned up today, worked straight away
Great for the money, less than a beer!

Now openplotter is happily tweeting accurate pressure & temp.

19:10:30 AP:1.0189hPa AT:17.4C
19:15:30 AP:1.0189hPa AT:17.7C

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BMP180-Repla...eywords=bmp180
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 04:38   #133
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Just remembered I had a PIR sensor stashed away in a cupboard, a few moments to find some patch wires and it's up and running, sending tweets each time I shake my foot
Added a 2.2K resistor on the output to the GPIO pin just in case.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 03:09   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Brown View Post
You know what. I can't believe the help you give to people regarding Openplotter!! Thank you very much, much appreciated!!
I think I will wait until Monday as I tried Saqqara's way but couldn't figure it out.
Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again.
I suposse you are running openplotter v0.6.0beta3 so download:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-v7-826.tar.gz

Copy this file into your pi directory on openplotter (/home/pi)
open a terminal
type:
tar xzf 8192eu-4.1.13-v7-826.tar.gz
./install.sh

and that's all. Reset and your wifi dongle will work. The files used to the installation should have been auto-destroyed. Next OpenPlotter release will be RTL8192EU compatible (if I do not forgot again )

..and never mind, remember that all of you are who are helping the project. It is a matter of universal balance
Old 14-12-2015, 04:29   #135

Quote:

I have just tested and is working normally, no errors in terminal?

Quote:
Yes, that has been reported by another user. Deviation needs location and date and when there is not location openplotter is generating and empty HDG sentence. That should be corrected so no location or date = no deviation and no empty sentence. Anyway, this is a bad behaviour of this Imray app because ,, is "nothing" and ,0, is "0" and is not the same, there is a big difference.

Quote:
You are right, same issue here. It is an instruments script issue. I think they have updated code now, if it is not working yet I will report.

Quote:
OpenCPN dashboard uses the obsolete MTA and MDA for temp and pressure. XDR replaces these obsolete sentences and this is what openplotter generates. I was not sure that others app are able to understand XDR sentences from openplotter because they are a little bit specials but if you can confirm this I will be happier

Quote:
OpenPlotter supports any kind of switches even momentary ones. Actually it will support anything that have 2 wires and 2 states close/open (on/off). You just have to connect and set actions for one or both states.

I did successful tests with reed switches (door switches, float switches...) and motion sensors "switches" (PIR). I think conachair is having fun with the latter

Quote:
I will