Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-02-2016, 03:57   #406
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Sailoog - Help!
OK, I'm trying to get data from an arduino into signalk.
Wind data is working, from a nasa sensor which sends the wrong nmea0183 checksum, the arduino recalcs that. All good so far.
So apparently it's better just to send straight signalk strings..


https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...lk/R6cmNYAxghc

So, I realize this is more of a signalk thing but I feel I'm so far over my head any info is useful - so does openplotter just push whatever it sees on the nmea comm ports to signalk or is it just nmea sentences with a good checksum?
I'm assuming that's where signalK gets the com port data from.
Any tips how I can survive this rapid JSON learning curve are most grateful
At this moment OpenPlotter just converts all the NMEA data from the main and multiplexed stream into signalk. When signalk development is done we will give to sensors the option to create either NMEA or signalk and we will add tools for multiplexing signalk sources. So, if you want to work with OpenPlotter I recommend you to do the opposite, create NMEA data and let openplotter to convert into signalk. Creating NMEA you will have wind data in opencpn, trigger/action system, signalk panel instrument... but creating signalk data you will have just signalk panel instrument.

To be honest I can not help you with JSON because I am not an expert. Signalk still needs a lot of work and the documentation at this moment is really confusing, I know they are working hard. I am waiting for signalk to be done to start that battle.
__________________

__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 04:08   #407
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBillings View Post
But I do have one question: does OpenPlotter (or OpenCPN on this distro) dampen or smooth out heading or wind or any other data?
OpenPlotter don't. OpenCPN I think so but I am not sure.
__________________

__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 04:11   #408
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swokey View Post
Can I also change it directly on the PI2? Where can I then find the file?
Yes
/home/pi/.config/openplotter/sensors_b.py
__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 04:41   #409
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 7,623
Re: OpenPlotter project

I use VDRplayer to test many Opencpn plugins. I've set up the plugin Launcher with 4 or five different test files to provide easy access to VDRplayer with the different files and settings.
__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 05:55   #410
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably and anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 2,825
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
At this moment OpenPlotter just converts all the NMEA data from the main and multiplexed stream into signalk. When signalk development is done we will give to sensors the option to create either NMEA or signalk and we will add tools for multiplexing signalk sources. So, if you want to work with OpenPlotter I recommend you to do the opposite, create NMEA data and let openplotter to convert into signalk. Creating NMEA you will have wind data in opencpn, trigger/action system, signalk panel instrument... but creating signalk data you will have just signalk panel instrument.

To be honest I can not help you with JSON because I am not an expert. Signalk still needs a lot of work and the documentation at this moment is really confusing, I know they are working hard. I am waiting for signalk to be done to start that battle.
Thanks. The problem I'm hitting with using NMEA 0183 is not having sentences for the likes of battery voltage and engine temperature.
SignalK doesn't seem to recognize XDR. It would be great to have the signalk instrument panel display these on a tablet.
I know nearly nothing about nmea 2000 - could an arduino transmit a NMEA2000 PGN down serial to openplotter?
Thanks anyway, I shall persevere and at the very least hopefully learn something
__________________
conachair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 06:53   #411
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
I know nearly nothing about nmea 2000 - could an arduino transmit a NMEA2000 PGN down serial to openplotter?
I am afraid not. They are completely different interfaces and you will need always an expensive converter.
__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 08:23   #412
Registered User
 
NahanniV's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: On the Boat
Boat: Finnsailer 38
Posts: 1,026
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopac View Post
There is a better way to access winlink with ARM Linux using BPQ and a a Mail client.

Here is the downloads page for BPQ:
BPQ32/LinBPQ Download Links

On there you can find the executables for windoze and Raspberry Pi.

Here are the instructions for installing on the Rpi:
Notes on installing and running LINBPQ

Note that there are differences for auto-starting on Debian Jesse vs. Wheezy.

Here are some notes on the installation process, including links to a configuration file.
Amateur Radio Station AG6QO - Notes on Installing pilinbpq

You can download this as a place to start if you like.
It's got more ports and capabilities than you'll need. More than likely you'll need only two ports, the PACTOR one and the Telnet one (you'll need telnet if you want to do control/configuration over your LAN). Also got an AXIP port, two 2m AX25 ports, and one 1.25m AX25 port.

You can also find some notes on the main configuration screens here:
BPQ SYSOP Notes - AG6QO
BPQ seems overly complicated, and only mentions KissTNC.

Will it give me access to WinLink2000 using an SCS PTC ?

That is really all I want, the functionality of AIRMAIL running on ARM.

Right now I have an X86 laptop running Navagatrix that I use for Winlink, and as a backup to my ARM based ships computer.
The ARM based ships computer is always on while underway (screen mostly off).
I would like to relegate the laptop to backup for Winlink as well, and put it in deep storage.

Is anyone else looking for this functionality ?

Cheers,
JM.
__________________
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 10:12   #413
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch
Posts: 70
Re: OpenPlotter project

Now is a little complicated to setup, but does provide full access to winlink2k. What needs to happen is to add this to the image with a mail front end that provides a settings page and ice pack hf propagation tools like sail mail has and document the setup. I have a pastor II modem and it will work with it or any tnc apparently or the signaling sound card.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 10:58   #414
Registered User
 
NahanniV's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: On the Boat
Boat: Finnsailer 38
Posts: 1,026
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopac View Post
Now is a little complicated to setup, but does provide full access to winlink2k. What needs to happen is to add this to the image with a mail front end that provides a settings page and ice pack hf propagation tools like sail mail has and document the setup. I have a pastor II modem and it will work with it or any tnc apparently or the signaling sound card.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Why is BPQ better than the PacLink Unix software recommended by airmail ?

Do you have BPQ working ?

Can you give step by step instructions ?

Thanks,
JM.
__________________
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 11:20   #415
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch
Posts: 70
Re: OpenPlotter project

Paclink Linux has not been worked on for quite a while. BPQ is being used by Hans for bulletin boards regularly and definitely works on arm and is supported by winlink.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 13:10   #416
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: The Netherlands
Boat: Verl 27
Posts: 28
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
Yes
/home/pi/.config/openplotter/sensors_b.py
Thanks. The file was not in this directory. Just created the file and changed it. After executing I got the sentence that I want.

After reboot the scripts is not executed. What is the correct way to start this script when booting the PI?
__________________
Swokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 13:18   #417
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swokey View Post
Thanks. The file was not in this directory. Just created the file and changed it. After executing I got the sentence that I want.

After reboot the scripts is not executed. What is the correct way to start this script when booting the PI?
If the file was not there you are running a really old version of openplotter. Try to download and update the last release and all will work right.
__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 13:21   #418
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: The Netherlands
Boat: Verl 27
Posts: 28
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
If the file was not there you are running a really old version of openplotter. Try to download and update the last release and all will work right.
I updated it last week already.

When I check the help in openplotter it has version 0.6.0. That is the latest version right?

Just tried again an update, but after that the file is still not in the directory. These files are available:

1w.py fine_cal.py message.py README.md wifi_drivers
calculate.py graph.py monitoring.py sounds wifi_server.py
classes i2c.py openplotter.conf startup.py
connection.py imu openplotter.ico time_gps.py
ctrl_actions.py LICENSE openplotter.py waterfall.py
docs locale output.py weather_log.csv
__________________
Swokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 13:31   #419
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swokey View Post
I updated it last week already.

When I check the help in openplotter it has version 0.6.0. That is the latest version right?

Just tried again an update, but after that the file is still not in the directory. These files are available:

1w.py fine_cal.py message.py README.md wifi_drivers
calculate.py graph.py monitoring.py sounds wifi_server.py
classes i2c.py openplotter.conf startup.py
connection.py imu openplotter.ico time_gps.py
ctrl_actions.py LICENSE openplotter.py waterfall.py
docs locale output.py weather_log.csv
Yes it is. What a strange thing. That file should be there.
To be sure you have all the files connect to internet and type:
Code:
cd 
cd .config 
rm -rf openplotter/ 
git clone https://github.com/sailoog/openplotter.git
Then do your modifications again, enable the checkbox that you will found in the "1W" tab and the script should start at startup.
__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 13:34   #420
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swokey View Post
I updated it last week already.

When I check the help in openplotter it has version 0.6.0. That is the latest version right?

Just tried again an update, but after that the file is still not in the directory. These files are available:

1w.py fine_cal.py message.py README.md wifi_drivers
calculate.py graph.py monitoring.py sounds wifi_server.py
classes i2c.py openplotter.conf startup.py
connection.py imu openplotter.ico time_gps.py
ctrl_actions.py LICENSE openplotter.py waterfall.py
docs locale output.py weather_log.csv
Ops! you are updating with the development version

Follow the steps in my last post to update with the stable version.
__________________

__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want To Buy: Project Boat: Engineless 35'ish blue water cruiser project Max Sail Classifieds Archive 52 24-03-2013 13:27
Greetings + my project Marco Meets & Greets 8 27-02-2009 17:28
Major Project: What is the best way to organize our discussions? Andy R Forum Tech Support & Site Help 6 04-04-2006 15:21
Our ongoing project - Offshore 41 By Invitation Construction, Maintenance & Refit 7 04-12-2005 07:42
Portal sailing website project CaptainTom Meets & Greets 2 20-03-2003 07:50


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:49.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.