Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2019, 18:40   #1

Boat: Sabre 34II
MMSI registration info change with purchase of boat

Hi, I recently bought a Sabre 34 and the PO gave me his login info for MMSI (VHF only, no AIS) and told me to go ahead and change the name/phone #/address/email on the account - is that ok or I should first cancel his registration and reapply with my info? I understand the MMSI number stays the same.

Thanks.

P.S. I found an old related thread (2009) on cruisersforum however my specific question was not answered
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 18:47   #2

Boat: Ta Chiao 56
Re: MMSI registration info change with purchase of boat

The MMSI stays with the boat, not the owner. So, yes, just update the record with your name, rank and horsepower.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 18:56   #3

Boat: Catalina 320

Is it a domestic as issued by Boatus ? If so the following is from their FAQ page.
Quote:
If all the radios that are programmed with the MMSI number have been given to the new owner, you must transfer the MMSI number to the new owner by logging into your MMSI account and selecting the “Transfer to New Owner” button. This cancels your MMSI registration and avoids having any future distress calls from the MMSInumber linked to you and your personal information. The new owner will then receive an email with instructions on how to claim the MMSI number.
https://www.boatus.com/MMSI/MMSI/FAQ
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 19:29   #4

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

If you buy a boat whose MMSI is registered in another country you’ll need to get a new one. Otherwise goes with the boat.
dfelsent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 19:59   #5

Thanks for the responses.

Calif.Ted - is there a way to tell from the account if the MMSI was registered through BoatUS or USCG?
Old 22-07-2019, 21:35   #6

Boat: Catalina 320

For an International number the boat needs a "ship's station" radio license from the FCC. In the absence of documentation of a station license or other I don't know how to identify the issuing agency. I'd suggest you try the log-in info you have at the Boatus site: https://www.boatus.com/MMSI/MMSIAccount/Login

There's also a page for a number issued by someone other than Boatus that maybe helpful:
https://www.boatus.com/MMSI/MMSI/NonBoatUSMMSI
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 11:10   #7

Boat: Island Packet 439

I just did this about a month ago following the instructions given on the MMSI page of the USCG Nav Center page: https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtmmsi.

More specifically, the section of this page that deals with how one changes the registration information is:

How to Update or Change an MMSI Registration
If your MMSI registration information or contact information changes for any reason, you must update your registration. If you sell your DSC-equipped radio or AIS or the boat these devices are mounted on, you must cancel your MMSI registration and should inform the new owner of the need to reregister the MMSI. This is necessary to ensure that the Coast Guard is able to contact the right persons if a distress situation were ever to occur. These registration changes can be accomplished by contacting the organization or agency which originally registered your MMSI. If you do not know which organization registered your MMSI, you can identify that organization by comparing your existing MMSI against those listed in the document MMSI ship station blocks allocated in the US (updated 29 May 2019).
(https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/MMSI_Allotments.pdf)

Note that these instructions also provide a link to a page where you can ascertain which organization issued the MMSI number.

I asked the PO to cancel his registration so the number would then be available to me to submit a new registration. However, I don't see any reason why you couldn't cancel the PO registration if he provided you with his login info.

Cheers,
Bill
Skylark
2006 Beneteau 473
BEB_B473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 12:08   #8

Boat: Hunter 46

BoatUS administers MMSI numbers and as already pointed out they stay with the boat per BoatUS.

https://www.boatus.com/MMSI/MMSIAcco...ransferRequest

"Please have the previous owner log in at www.boatus.com/mmsi or contact us at 1-800-563-1536 to cancel the MMSI account and make the number available to you. Once the account has been cancelled we will have authorization to transfer the registration over to a new owner and set up account access in the new owners name."
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 12:34   #9

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

IIRC it's easier than that. FCC-issued MMSI numbers end with a "0", others don't. This allows the user to set up a group call sign by shifting right (take the ending "0" off and move it to the left end so that the MMSI starts with a "0"). That way a group of boats can all monitor a shared number. Cool.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 15:00   #10

Refer to the link below about US and non-US agencies that administer MMSI numbers.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtmmsi

Some excerpts:

Maritime Mobile Service Identities (MMSIs) are nine digit numbers used by maritime digital selective calling (DSC), automatic identification systems (AIS) and certain other equipment to uniquely identify a ship or a coast radio station. MMSIs are regulated and managed internationally by the International Telecommunications Union in Geneva, Switzerland, just as radio call signs are regulated.

In the United States, the National Telecommunications Administration (NTIA) provides MMSIs to federal users, and the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) provides MMSIs to everyone else. NTIA is as Executive Branch agency under the Department of Commerce, and the FCC is an independent agency.

In order to obtain an MMSI, mariners required by regulation to carry a marine radio and those who travel outside the U.S. or Canada to foreign ports must apply to the Federal Communications Commission for a ship station license or an amendment to a ship station license. State and local governments can generally obtain an FCC ship station license at no charge.

Mariners not required to carry a marine radio (e.g. recreational boaters) and who remain in U.S. waters can obtain an MMSI through approved organizations such as BOAT US 1-800-563-1536, SEA TOW 1-800-4SEATOW, U.S. Power Squadron, and Shine Micro (primarily for AIS).
Old 23-07-2019, 17:47   #11
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Was the MMSI issued by BoatUs or by the FCC? If the FCC issued it, here's an article on the topic: https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/ask...ferring-a-mmsi

You can search for an FCC license here: https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...rchLicense.jsp
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 19:09   #12

The MMSI was issued by US power squadrons as the account is on USPS.org and I check the MMSI number in the database.
Old 23-07-2019, 19:16   #13

Take a look at this attachment, it is the edit/cancel registration page (pvt info blacked out), my question is - why can't I just enter my info and update it? Is it necessary to cancel it and then re-register? It doesn't make any sense as the MMSI number is not changing and this seems easier to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MMSI.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	196477  
Old 25-07-2019, 19:34   #14

bumping this
Old 27-07-2019, 06:49   #15

Sold my Hunter 386 yesterday and went to BoatUS at the link below and transferred the boat's MMSI number to the new owner. To do this I needed the new owner's name, address, email and phone number.

https://www.boatus.com/MMSI/MMSIAcco...ransferRequest

Tags
boat, purchase, registration