Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2020, 13:47   #61
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: MMSI registration info change with purchase of boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
Your oblique reply did not answer my question about your particular MMSI (that ends in "2") and if it can be found in the ITU ship station list.

That idea came about from the practices of the FCC.

Also, many larger ships that had radio call routing devices used in other systems already had ship identities that were less than six numbers long. So those ships were give an MMSI with a three-digit MID prefix, a five-digit identifier that matches their earlier ship identity, and a trailing zero. Or at least that is what I have inferred from some reading on the topic.

As an example of a large ship that ends in zero, try QUEEN MARY 2.

Her MMSI is 235762000--ending in triple zero.

Or QUEEN ELIZABETH, MMSI = 232089000, another triple zero.

It cannot be entirely coincidental that an MMSI ending in zero has some sort of method of being associated with larger ships, and those ships likely already had some other radio call routing identification number from a legacy system.

Here is another common ship name: VENTUS (wind in Latin)
If you search the ITU Ship Station List you find 13 Ships named VENTUS with MMSI assignments. Of those 13 MMSI number, 11 end in a zero. This cannot be completely coincidental. And only ONE of the administrations issuing those end-in-zero MMSI numbers was the USA.

The Irish marine radio office confirmed that there is no requirement that the mmsi end in zero. They also confirmed that it will appear in the itu database in “ due course “
Old 21-12-2020, 13:59   #62
Nearly an old salt

MMSI registration info change with purchase of boat

Quote:
Your oblique reply did not answer my question about your particular MMSI (that ends in "2") and if it can be found in the ITU ship station list.

That idea came about from the practices of the FCC.

Also, many larger ships that had radio call routing devices used in other systems already had ship identities that were less than six numbers long. So those ships were give an MMSI with a three-digit MID prefix, a five-digit identifier that matches their earlier ship identity, and a trailing zero. Or at least that is what I have inferred from some reading on the topic.

As an example of a large ship that ends in zero, try QUEEN MARY 2.

Her MMSI is 235762000--ending in triple zero.

Or QUEEN ELIZABETH, MMSI = 232089000, another triple zero.

It cannot be entirely coincidental that an MMSI ending in zero has some sort of method of being associated with larger ships, and those ships likely already had some other radio call routing identification number from a legacy system.

Here is another common ship name: VENTUS (wind in Latin)
If you search the ITU Ship Station List you find 13 Ships named VENTUS with MMSI assignments. Of those 13 MMSI number, 11 end in a zero. This cannot be completely coincidental. And only ONE of the administrations issuing those end-in-zero MMSI numbers was the USA.

The triple zero is a hold over from the public correspondence system via early Inmarsat satellites ) which are part of gmdss ). These systems could only handle 6 digits and nations allocated triple zeros to facilitate these ie a six digit mmsi This is explained in itu https://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-r/md...!A4!MSW-E.docx

Itu recommends that practice be discontinued.

Again no importance is assigned to a trailing zero, it’s merely a standard number 0-9
Old 22-12-2020, 06:09   #63

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat
Re: MMSI registration info change with purchase of boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Again no importance is assigned to a trailing zero, it’s merely a standard number 0-9
In terms of how one DSC radio will interoperate with another, the last digit of the MMSI does not affect the behavior. I mentioned this earlier in the thread.

However, a trailing zero in an MMSI does have some significance among ships receiving an MMSI from the FCC; a trailing zero signifies the MMSI issuing authority was the FCC and the ship has a formal ship station license.

It would be interesting to look at the total ITU ship list contents; I am sure that MMSI numbers ending in zero would occur more often than any other numeral, due to the influence of the FCC-issued MMSI numbers and the many legacy MMSI numbers that required a trailing-zero.

As I demonstrated in my earlier example of MMSI numbers for a common boat name "VENTUS", even excluding the one FCC-issued MMSI in the results, ten out of 12 ended in a trailing zero. Statistically that is a very unusual outcome if there is a completely random chance and completely even chance for an MMSI to end in any digit from zero to nine.

I believe the chance of getting a zero as a random number is 0.1. So if we get generate 10-random numbers and they are all zero, then the chance of that is 0.1^10 or 0.0000000001. That is an extremely low probability--about one in ten-billion.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 06:59   #64
Nearly an old salt

MMSI registration info change with purchase of boat

Quote:
In terms of how one DSC radio will interoperate with another, the last digit of the MMSI does not affect the behavior. I mentioned this earlier in the thread.

However, a trailing zero in an MMSI does have some significance among ships receiving an MMSI from the FCC; a trailing zero signifies the MMSI issuing authority was the FCC and the ship has a formal ship station license.

It would be interesting to look at the total ITU ship list contents; I am sure that MMSI numbers ending in zero would occur more often than any other numeral, due to the influence of the FCC-issued MMSI numbers and the many legacy MMSI numbers that required a trailing-zero.

As I demonstrated in my earlier example of MMSI numbers for a common boat name "VENTUS", even excluding the one FCC-issued MMSI in the results, ten out of 12 ended in a trailing zero. Statistically that is a very unusual outcome if there is a completely random chance and completely even chance for an MMSI to end in any digit from zero to nine.

I believe the chance of getting a zero as a random number is 0.1. So if we get generate 10-random numbers and they are all zero, then the chance of that is 0.1^10 or 0.0000000001. That is an extremely low probability--about one in ten-billion.

Historically zeros were traditionally assigned by various mmsi issuing authorities

For example my first mmsi , was 000 ending consistent with the 6 digit sat issue.

The next two vessels actually had two zeros

This latest one has no zeros

From both itu and gmdss the zeros have no significance

The 1-9/0 designation is an internal US decision to simplify assignment

I profess to some expertise as I was until recently a CEPT SRC/LRC instructor examiner

Tags
boat, purchase, registration