Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2020, 14:02   #1

Linking older Raymarine through a multiplexer and wi-fi

Hi - I'm hoping for some advice please.

I'm not great at electronics but have managed to keep my on board Raymarine systems connected and running to date. Current instruments are st40 wind/speed/depth , RL70c + Radar , and an ST2000 tiller pilot . Also a NASA AIS connected to a separate Lowrance plotter in the cockpit.

Its all working but not well linked up and wondered if an NMEA0183 multiplexer with WIFI by Quark or Digital Yacht would enable better /simpler integration of the plotter + tiler pilot and perhaps enable me to use a Tablet/Iphone to read all the data on one screen ?. From what I can see / understand the RL70c won't allow me to see AIS on its chart screen ?.

Its an older boat and I'm thinking I may change in a couple of years so don't really want to upgrade the instruments just now but would be keen to go through the process of seeing whats possible with an addition of multiplexer and or wi fi.

Example of a Yacht Devices multiplexer

https://www.yachtd.com/static/img/mpx/mpx_preset_1.png

Thanks in advance

James.
james pask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 17:03   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Linking older Raymarine through a multiplexer and wi-fi

There is a Ray native box that outputs all Ray data onto nmea which then can be output onwards to any nmea-wifi device.

BUT mind this box dos not use the higher AIS speed, so it is a half-baked solution only.

So, correct me here, I think you want to:

1) get all Ray data translated onto one nmea out (slow),
2) get ais data onto another nmea out (your nasa provides this already),

Next mix the 2 streams together (a multiplexer) and at this point you can place this multiplexed stream onto wifi (a nmea-wifi bridge).

Can your RL70c be used to get stream 1)

?

I believe I have seen a multiplexer/wifi bridge somewhere.

The device you mentioned - it fails at what?

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 17:08   #3

This looks close to your specs?

https://www.yachtd.com/products/wifi_0183_router.html

b.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:10   #4

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

From what I've read the pathfinder doesn't support AIS as you suspect. To set expectations if you were wondering, I'm not aware of a mechanism to display your radar data on a tablet but getting your instrument and AIS data displayed is easily do-able.

As barnakiel says, your instrument data needs to be converted from seatalk to NMEA-0183 for any phone/tablet app to be able to use them. Your RL70C should be able to do that but then you have to have it switched on all the time. You can buy boxes to convert seatalk to NMEA-0183 such as the one barnakiel references (now discontinued by Raymarine, available second hand. Digital Yacht and others make equivalents). A neater option though is to chose a multiplexer which takes a seatalk input and does the conversion itself. The Yacht Devices one which barnakiel links to is one option but there are plenty of others including the shipmodul miniplex:
ShipModul Marine Electronics

Do draw yourself a diagram similar to the one in your original post but for your own equipment to work out the minimum number of inputs and outputs you need to whittle down your product choices. You probably want seatalk input, an input for GPS if that's not from seatalk (the lowrance plotter?), a 38400 baud-capable input for AIS and heading from the pilot. You probably want to be able to output (at least) to the pilot, the plotter and your radio (GPS for DSC), all in addition to wifi.

For displaying those data on a tablet take a look at the paid-for version of openCPN if using android. Navionics is also popular for iOS and android and can display AIS these days but there are many other choices.

Commercial wifi multiplexers strike me as vastly overpriced. In the UK where I am they're north of £300. Various DIY alternatives using such things as a raspberry pi also exist but they tend to be less neat and physically robust as the commercial products so are not for everyone.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:27   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

James, if you plan to sell the boat in a couple of years, is it worth it?

The problem is the current set up is dated. If I were to buy your yacht in a couple of years, assuming the price reflected the dated electronics that's fine and would allow me to chose what I wanted.

If you start changing and adding stuff, as a future buyer I may not want your solution.

We sold our ST2000 when we upgraded to the Evo 100 AP, but I thought it was a good unit in stand alone mode so didn't try to integrate it.

I would be tempted to leave well alone and in a couple of years time, either sell the boat or, do a complete upgrade if you decide keep the boat.

Pete

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:15   #6

Boat: Outremer 42

+1 for muttnik. I had the same problem with a 2006 boat and used a Shimodul to convert the lot into a wi-fi output. This then was received on the very old laptop which ran OpenCpn. All worked perfectly except the radar. I think with some extra effort I could have got that to work but I never used the radar in 10K NM, so didn't bother.
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:23   #7

Thanks for the replies, I can see you might question why I might do this but over the last 3 years I've used the time to update the boat and try to understand the intricacies of how it all works in some detail.
Its an Etap 28i which we sail on the east of Scotland and we are subject to harr in the summer months ( its a dense fog and quite common the River Tay) hence the radar etc - I hope to upscale in a year to two and hope to use the understanding gained of the boat systems in the next project - I can see the future lies in wi-fi and multi screen access to data and would like to see if its doable on my current boat - even if its slow etc . The radar might be a bridge too far though.
So far I've fully rebuilt and installed a new (to me) engine,rebuilt the saildrive + fitted a new seal etc, installed 2 x 40 watt solar panels and a Victron mppt regulator, a Sterling regulator to a new 90 amp alternator, bridge/ammeter to understand power draw, AIS and made an airiel from 50 ohm co-ax run up the backstay , linked the GPS to the vhf , put in a digital engine exhaust temperature meter, and Navtex and an electronic barometer - all with a view to understanding how it all works and getting a broad picture of as much information as possible. . I'm in the process of fitting a simple vehicle wi-fi IP66 reverse camera to the deck light to see forward from below.
None of what I've done has been expensive , it just takes time to figure out which is enjoyable.
If I can get most of the data onto a tablet or phone it would be very useful too.
Appreciate the reference to the https://www.yachtd.com/products/wifi_0183_router.html
it looks like it might do as much as I can expect .
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
James
james pask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 13:41   #8

Boat: Hunter 31
Linking older Raymarine through a multiplexer and wi-fi

I have been running a similar setup for years. Your best approach is as follows:

- Get a serial to WiFi device for $20 on Amazon, connect it to the RL70 nmea output. Then you will have all data on WiFi. Leave the rest of the system as it is. If you are desperate to control the autopilot via WiFi then connect the WiFi device to one of the RL70 nmea inputs. If you want to display AIS on WiFi, you need a multiplexor or or a second $20 device.

Most cheap multiplexors only work at one speed or have limitations, for example the Raymarine multiplexor will take AIS data but not wind data. Another multiplexor will take wind data but not AIS data. It is a mess.

If you do not need WiFi you can get a cheap serial to usb cable and plug that into your laptop, you can have as many inputs as you want that way.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 14:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post

- Get a serial to WiFi device for $20 on Amazon,

LINK ?

If you want to display AIS on WiFi, you need a multiplexor or or a second $20 device.

OK, but assumes the mobile device has a gps. Some do not (notably iPad crap).

Which serial to wifi do you use?

b.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:31   #10

Boat: Hunter 31

Mugast RS232 to WiFi Serial Server,Elfin-EW10 to WiFi Ethernet RS232 802.11b/g/n Wireles... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PP2YMN7...s_api_i_kvwlFb...
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine