Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 23-04-2012, 07:53   #1156
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Long-Distance WiFi Device

zeehag-
"telcel" whatever, is a 3G cellular data setup? How can it not be compatible with your computers when the only question should be whether you are (uh-oh) on Macs? Or just don't have a cellular modem for their band?
I'm suspecting the latter, in which case wifi equipment or a cellular modem can wind up costing the same thing. Or more.
If telcel banda ancha generally works with the computer type you have, the rest is all just nuts and bolts. You're dead certain that problem can't be solved?
(Well, if you're on a Commodore64 that's probably a stopper.<G>)

If you need a US telephone number, sign up for a free Google Voice account. Calls to that US number can be forwarded anyplace you want, including Mexico at reasonable cost, and it is fully configurable from a web connection. Who gets forwarded, when they get forwarded, if they get forwarded or sent to voicemail. Which can echo to you via email and text.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 08:19   #1157

Boat: Swedenyacht 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Must say i'd not noticed that the DC input was 12v as I have an inverter built into my wiring so I can still use mains items when not connected to shore power but i'm not surprised it blew if you connected it the wrong way round. Most electronic items like this are very polarity sensitive, i'm sure Alfa support will say similar.
Yes I know it was a little stupid of me, but the mains converter plug was a two pin, which came with a UK adapter and it didn't seem to matter which way around it was plugged in to the adapter, it still worked, obviously there must be a polarity corrector within the converter plug. Putting an inverter in is one of my options, but I thought wiring directly to the 12v would be simpler, and cheaper (Oh! for hindsight) the trouble is that the wires do not identify as to which is positive and which is negative, I remember which way around I wired it last time, so using the process of elimination I should be OK this time, but I am trying to seek reassurance from someone who has succeeded already.
Richard_jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 08:35   #1158

Boat: Taswell 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_jersey

Yes I know it was a little stupid of me, but the mains converter plug was a two pin, which came with a UK adapter and it didn't seem to matter which way around it was plugged in to the adapter, it still worked, obviously there must be a polarity corrector within the converter plug. Putting an inverter in is one of my options, but I thought wiring directly to the 12v would be simpler, and cheaper (Oh! for hindsight) the trouble is that the wires do not identify as to which is positive and which is negative, I remember which way around I wired it last time, so using the process of elimination I should be OK this time, but I am trying to seek reassurance from someone who has succeeded already.
Try using a volt meter to confirm polarity at the plug or continuity
Old 23-04-2012, 14:05   #1159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_jersey View Post
but I am trying to seek reassurance from someone who has succeeded already.
I have succeeded already. I have a "wifi thingy" I built consisting of an Alfa 1 and an R36 in water tight boxes. I use a long dc line to the ships dc system or a small wet cell 12 volt battery when I want to just hoist the thing with no strings attached (totally wireless) or take it to shore and haul it up into a tree or something. It's obviously not a finished project with the duct tape and all but I was just proving a concept.

George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PTDC0027.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	40306  
Old 23-04-2012, 14:33   #1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ok guys--i am in mexico--need a booster or something soi can get wifi. telcel banda ancha is not compatible with my puters--took em into office and set up a tent for that info, go figger--and so i needs something--this in and out bs is a pita..someone know where to find long raange wifi or a booster here???? i am in la cruz de huanacaxtle, nayarit, mexico, 14 mi north of puerto vallarta.

come on guys--one of ye has to know where i can find this, as well as what to look for....
If you're prepared to spend around US$250 for a solution, go to the Telcel office upstairs in the Gallerias mall, next door to WalMart. Ask for a "wifi hotspot" Huawei model E5836. They may or may not have one, or they may have one and not know it, remember it's Mexico. You might need to ask a few times (our experience in Cabo). Don't forget to bring your passport.

When you switch it on, it logs on to the 3G system and your PC sees it as a regular wifi hotspot. We used one for 6 months for 2 PCs and other devices. It works as a router as well, so you can share files between PCs. Once activated you recharge and use just like the USB dongle.

There isn't a lot of open wifi in Mexico so boosters and extenders aren't a lot of use there.

Cheers
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 07:07   #1161

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
zeehag-
"telcel" whatever, is a 3G cellular data setup? How can it not be compatible with your computers when the only question should be whether you are (uh-oh) on Macs?
From a previous thread, I believe she is using a Chromebook, which is really more of an internet appliance than a computer. So I suspect it lacks the ability to run a tethered phone. I also suspect it will have problems with any wifi device requiring drivers. However, she should be able to use a mifi device, like that another poster suggested, with no problems.

I have yet to find any communication device that does not run natively and very well on my Mac - all phones, cellular dongles, bluetooth dongles, GPS, wifi adapters, etc. An old Engenius USB client adapter was the only exception.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 11:15   #1162
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ah, the Chromebook. Might as well be a Commodore, if the driver support isn't there. In that case a mobil hotspot (of any type) would be a good solution.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:41   #1163

The NautiCloud looks nice, shame its price point is on the high side.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:54   #1164

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJ View Post
The NautiCloud looks nice, shame its price point is on the high side.
Hmm, my thoughts too. The Alfa is $600 cheaper so what do we get with yours that the Alfa won't do?

Pete

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfa-AWUS036...1431544&sr=8-4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alfa.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	43044  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:58   #1165
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the feedback.

The NautiCloud uses only the widely acknowledged 'best' radios in the business (Ubiquiti). Also, with the RAM mount and the highest quality connectors and cabling, it is a bargain. It is unique in that it was designed from the get-go for wifi both on the WAN side and on the LAN side.

Newer devices have no USB or network jacks (think iPad, iPhone, Cameras), so we built the NautiCloud to suit. It all comes in a watertight case that has a bail on the top (halyard) and bottom (downhaul), so its easy to haul up into the foretriangle for even better results. It is totally self contained and easy to mount and dismount, so you could even take it to a friends boat for a day.

The NautiCloud easily performs at least as well than devices costing twice as much and better than cheaper devices as well.

If you act within the week, you can save some $$ with the code: INTHESKY

Best Regards

NautiCloud
NautiCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 13:03   #1166

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Thanks for the reply. The website needs some work because it wasn't obvious how to order one and only found the link under the graphic by searching hard.

Can I have a free one for testing for the UK market?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 13:05   #1167
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Hmm, my thoughts too. The Alfa is $600 cheaper so what do we get with yours that the Alfa won't do?

Pete

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfa-AWUS036...1431544&sr=8-4
Hi Pete,

The alfa is far from waterproof. NautiCloud is IP rated (ip67) which basically means it can withstand ingress of water from a firehose-like dousing.

Also, the alfa is USB powered. There are no USB ports on any of the newer devices on the market (iPad, Phones, etc).

Even if you have USB power for the Alfa, you are limited by the 15 foot (5m) max USB cable length, which kind of rules out hauling the device up the mast for better performance. Also, if you want to share the connection with more than 1 device onboard, you then need to connect it to an onboard network, which entails more cabling and configuring power for another wifi router, etc. The NautiCloud does all of this in a neat rugged package that it easy to mount and dismount!

Cheers

NautiCloud
Old 04-07-2012, 13:07   #1168
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Thanks for the reply. The website needs some work because it wasn't obvious how to order one and only found the link under the graphic by searching hard.

Can I have a free one for testing for the UK market?

Pete
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the ideas for the website. I agree with your thoughts.

I'd love to offer you one for free, but the best I can do is a discount using the following code at checkout: INTHESKY

Best Regards

NautiCloud
Old 04-07-2012, 13:39   #1169
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiCloud View Post
The alfa is far from waterproof. NautiCloud is IP rated (ip67) which basically means it can withstand ingress of water from a firehose-like dousing.
A $20 Pelican case goes a long way in making the Alfa waterproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiCloud View Post
Even if you have USB power for the Alfa, you are limited by the 15 foot (5m) max USB cable length, which kind of rules out hauling the device up the mast for better performance.
More like 30' with an active extension cable. I often had my Alfa up to the second spreader.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 14:03   #1170
Marine Service Provider

Hi GrouchyTurtle,

Thanks for sticking your neck out & responding!

I agree that you can make the alfa waterproof with a pelican box, but don't make it seem simpler than it is since you would then also need to accomodate the USB cable somehow.

The idea with the NautiCloud is that the limitations have been designed out from the get-go. USB was great back in the day for some applications, but for connectivity WiFi is defintely the future. The active extension cables might allow you to extend the height to which you can raise the alfa, but then you are still limited to just one device having internet connectivity unless you also install a complementary wired/wireless network onboard.

The NautiCloud already has it all! Plus the cable can be up to 300' (or longer as long as you are delivering 12-24VDC at the NautiCloud itself). With the exception of USB, cabling today is pretty inexpensive, particularly network cable.

By having an integrated onboard wireless network, it also means that anyone onboard can connect their device(s) and take advantage of the offboard link. So, the kids can have their tablets and watch a movie up forward while the adults check email/facebook/twitter, all from the comfort of belowdecks - out of the elements - without sacrificing WiFi performance.

Best Regards,

NautiCloud