Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 15:00   #1126

Boat: Privilege 45 - Tortuguita
Re: Long-Distance WiFi Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Check out this link: Low Cost Sat TV
Hi Nick,
I kind of used the Follow-Me-TV as a starting point for my design. I just couldn't see hanging a Nanostation on that ugly 4" PVC pipe contraption. Also $1000 didn't seem too "Low Cost" for my cheap cruising budget.

I actually started out my proof of concept with the Nanostation tie wrapped to a Caulk tube and had my wife turning it to keep it pointed at town.

It worked, so I knew I had to get the wife out of the feedback loop.

Cheers,
Dave
djdeakyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 15:39   #1127

Hi callmecrazy,
During the days of Linksys hacking, I connected a 15db omni to my Linksys AP. I thought it would crank. Instead, I had better reception with the internal antennas.

I think you see the dilema. More gain = narrower pattern = pattern stability problems. The problem is you need as much gain as possible for the receive side. You can compensate for low gain on the transmit side by cranking up the power, but there is nothing you can do for the receive end.

Now comes the directional antenna. Even better, they put the whole radio in a weatherproof box along with the panel antenna and gave it power over the ethernet cable.
These (I am partial to Ubiquiti, but have used Engenius also) radios had great receivers, 30 degree Vertical and 60 degree Horizontal patterns, and put out close to a watt.

But, with a directional antenna, you need to keep it pointed at the hotspot. That is why I made my rotator. It has worked like a champ since 2008. The recent posts have been helpful for me determining whether it is worthwhile putting it up the mast since my new design now has unrestricted rotation.

I didn't have luck with omnis and except for that they are "Easy", I don't see any place for them in "Long Range Wifi".

Cheers, Dave
Old 05-01-2012, 15:54   #1128
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdeakyne View Post
These (I am partial to Ubiquiti, but have used Engenius also) radios had great receivers, 30 degree Vertical and 60 degree Horizontal patterns, and put out close to a watt.
I have been telling good things about the NanoStation M2 here on CF but as soon as people read that it is directional they go for a Bullet again. But the NanoStation M2 has a 4-element MIMO antenna array that is real tough to beat and impossible to beat at equal price level. It's also a corrosion-free all plastic device.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 16:10   #1129

Quote:
I have been telling good things about the NanoStation M2 here on CF but as soon as people read that it is directional they go for a Bullet again. But the NanoStation M2 has a 4-element MIMO antenna array that is real tough to beat and impossible to beat at equal price level. It's also a corrosion-free all plastic device.
I love the Nanostations. Great receiver sensitivity. 12volts is also a plus.
I may not have all the tweaks done yet, but my feeling is that I like the old NS2 better that the NSM2. Mine keeps scanning channels when trying to associate, even though it already knows what SSID and therefore channel I want to connect on, so it just seems to take longer.

When going fishing for AP's, I get impatient.

Cheers, Dave
Old 05-01-2012, 16:23   #1130

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:

You antenna height shouldn't matter much but lower shouldn't be better.
What may be happening is that your omni antenna is tilting when you move it around and the radiation pattern is above or below the hotspot. Unless you have devised some way to keep it perfectly perpendicular to the horizon.
It doesn't take too much tilt too miss your AP when you have a vertical E-plane like this:
This could be in the what monohullers like about cats thread.
Old 05-01-2012, 16:48   #1131

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I love the Nanostations. Great receiver sensitivity. 12volts is also a plus.
I may not have all the tweaks done yet, but my feeling is that I like the old NS2 better that the NSM2. Mine keeps scanning channels when trying to associate, even though it already knows what SSID and therefore channel I want to connect on, so it just seems to take longer.

When going fishing for AP's, I get impatient.

Cheers, Dave
You need to upgrade firmware... these issues have all been dealt with. Only the M2 has the Mimo 2x2 array !

cheers,
Nick.
Old 05-01-2012, 17:48   #1132

Thanks Nick, I'll do that 1st thing when I get back to Mexico.
I was hoping the NSM2 would be a good improvement. I do like AirOS_5.3. Took me a while to figure out how to turn off airmax. I really want to use the second ethernet port for a Ubiquiti AirVision IP Cam. Can't do that with the old NS2.

Have you tried selecting "Compliance Test" in the Country menu? It's amazing what that radio is capable of. Hundreds of channels! AirView is a cool tool too.
Cheers, Dave
Old 05-01-2012, 18:02   #1133

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdeakyne
It's amazing what that radio is capable of. Hundreds of channels! AirView is a cool tool too.
Cheers, Dave
I built the wifi network here in Shelter Bay Marina. It has 2x BulletM5, 2x NanoStationM5, 3x Picostation2hp, 7x NanoStationM2 and a Mikrotik router. Great stuff. The 5GHz is AirMax enabled and used instead of fiber optic cables.

I also like the Apple wifi for indoors. Currently at 300Mbps 5GHz with my MacBookPro

cheers,
Nick.

Old 05-01-2012, 19:59   #1134

I was picking up Shelter Bay when I was anchored in The Flats. Couldn't get you from Club Nautico in the Manzanillo Cut because no Line of Sight. Maybe I should have had the Nano up the mast. Good thing Colon had plenty of Open AP's.

5Ghz is the way too go. So much noise on 2.4 I can't believe they put wifi in the same band as microwave ovens.
Old 06-01-2012, 15:53   #1135

We started getting page loads from an open network on Musha Cay from 7.5 miles away from closest point. But I have to say, it's an extraordinary access point. Apparently we have the magician, David Copperfield to thank.

As for locating your device? We put a powerful omni at the top of the mast. But sometimes the cantenna from cockpit level works better. Oddly, the cantenna seems to work out to be a better medium or close range device that a long distance one. For really reaching out, nothing works like that 15dbi mast head omni.

George
Old 22-01-2012, 13:34   #1136

Boat: Catalina 270LE #166

Quote:

ciao!
Nick.
Nick, how did you wire in the 12 volts? The POE device sold by Ubiquiti is AC based.
bluenoser613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 13:42   #1137

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser613

Nick, how did you wire in the 12 volts? The POE device sold by Ubiquiti is AC based.
You will have to scan this thread... 12V DC versions cost around $4 and are linked into posts here.

ciao!
Nick.

Old 22-01-2012, 13:55   #1138

Boat: Catalina 270LE #166

For those of you using a Nanostation M2, I noticed there are two versions, a US/Canada version and an International version. What is the difference? Does it matter?
bluenoser613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 14:25   #1139

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Power Over Ethernet PoE Adapter

Amazon.com: Alfa Wall Mount Passive Power Over Ethernet PoE Adapter - Dual Usage, Injector or Splitter: Electronics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	POE 12 volt.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	36343  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 17:36   #1140
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser613 View Post
For those of you using a Nanostation M2, I noticed there are two versions, a US/Canada version and an International version. What is the difference? Does it matter?
The US/Canada version is locked to channels 1-11. The International version can be set to other regulatory regions which allow use of channels 1-13 or 1-14 in the case of Japan. If your cruising will be confined to North America and the Caribbean then the US/Canada version will be fine otherwise you may want the International version.

Bob