Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2018, 22:45   #1

Boat: Lightwave 45
Langkawi rego and MMSI

Currently got application in for registration in Langkawi (huge expense).
Am applying for MMSI at the same time (more expense).
They ask what apparatus is existing on board, to which I have replied that there is none (an old VHF).
So now they are asking that I purchase the new VHF and AIS that I am considering (I don't yet know which I want) and then supply them with make/model/serial numbers. *Then* they will issue the MMSI...

Is this the way it works??
I thought they issue an international number that lives with the boat and whenever I buy/install/upgrade/replace equipment then I either provide the retailer with my MMSI to program in, or I program it in myself.
Karanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 00:47   #2

Re: Langkawi rego and MMSI

I registered my boat in Qatar where radio/DSC/AIS are required and they issued the MMSI to me when I purchased the unit and provided the serial number. Then the dealer programmed my AIS (I could not take it home myself until after he did this) and then I programmed my VHF myself.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 23:22   #3

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Dangermouse,

Could you give me(us) an idea of the costs you have discovered for Langkawi registration, and any other downsides besides costs, like re-registering, etc. I have been considering it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 00:11   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

We looked at Langkawi and got as far as getting an agent, getting a quote, and starting to complete the forms before getting annoyed with the complex forms and extra costs for MMSI and ships radio license. Took another look around and discovered Jersey registration.

Relatively cheap (about NZD 1,000 for ten years, then 300 renewal per decade after that), relatively simple forms (though since we’re over 15m we had a more complex displacement measurement (that brought the initial cost up to the 1,000 quoted above)), and free ship’s radio licence and MMSI from OFCOM.

The owner has to reside in UK or Europe (wonder whether Brexit will change that) or have a local agency (NZD 150 for life, included above), and be a citizen of a Commonwealth country.

If you qualify, I definitely recommend Jersey for your registration. If not, Langkawi is not too bad and less expensive than most other open registries.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 00:59   #5

For Langkawi Registration requirements are;

1. Notarised Bill of Sale or Sale & Purchase Agreement

2. Builder’s certificate or Previous Certificate of Registry

3. Deletion Certificate

4. Passport Copy (received)

5. Picture of Yacht (received)

6. Application of Approved Name Form (attached)

7. Letter of Authorisation Form (attached)

8. Declaration of Ownership Form (attached)

9. Particulars of Yacht Form

Processing takes 2 to 3 working weeks

Cost : USD 1300 – for 1 year

USD 1610 – for 2 years

USD 1920 – for 3 years

For MMSI Radio License requirements are;

1. MMSI Form

2. Letter of Authorisation

Processing takes 7 to 10 working days

Cost : USD 300 – for 1 year

USD 390 – for 2 years

USD 470 – for 3 years

You may add me on WhatsApp - +6010 216 2198.

Thank you and regards.

Cheryl Pereira
Office Administrator & Sales Support Executive

Simpson Marine Sdn Bhd
c/o Admiral Marina Club, 5th Mile Jalan Pantai, 71050 Port Dickson, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia.
T +606 647 6868 F+606 647 6617 M +6010 216 2198
Old 05-12-2018, 01:11   #6

I initially tried to investigate registration, by contacting the Langkawi yacht club. I didn't get any replies.
The above was the reply I received from Simpson Marine, once I found a real person to talk to, who can/will act as agents.
The forms have been relatively easy.
I fully expect that the prices are wildly inflated but I decided that it provided enough benefits (including choice of insurance company and policy) to bite the bullet.
Cheryl has been really helpful so far.

I almost went through with UK SSR process, until my claimed UK residential address (an uncle's house) didn't follow through. Pity, cos registration is only £25 for 5 years and MMSI is free!!

My surveyor said he would be able to provide the tonnage certificate for Jersey registration, but on the day couldn't deliver. So the Jersey option fell through, but I wasn't too upset when I heard that would be a long and slow process
Old 06-12-2018, 05:19   #7

Open this URL: Yacht Registration

The information and people to contact are stated at that site and you can contact them at that number provided. Nothing much has changed since that site's article was posted except that they probably can do everything much quicker right in Langkawi now and that they now must insert an expiry date on the certificate that coincides with the date that your harbor fees are next due. After your boat is registered, only yearly harbor dues are charged and there is no charge for any future certificate renewal. To make renewal simpler for traveling around outside Malaysia, you can pay those dues up to five years in advance and the new registration certificate expiry date will reflect that payment. All payments must be paid in Malaysian Ringgit credited to a governmental addressee and this will be explained to you. The staff at the Kuah Harbor Master's office are very helpful.
Warren Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:43   #8

After you have obtained your Langkawi registration, and if you decide to install an AIS unit on your boat, you will be obligated to obtain an MMSI number for your Malaysian registered vessel. This is handled through SKMM (Suruhanjaya Komunikasi dan Multimedia Malaysia) and their website is https://www.skmm.gov.my/home It may come up in Bahasa Malayu. There is a directory to find numbers to contact English speaking staff at https://www.skmm.gov.my/contact/directory. I have heard that they were building a website so applicants for a MMSI number could do everything on line. The initial and the yearly fees are very reasonable and can be paid several years ahead in advance. You only have to tell them what communications equipment you have on board and they will be included on the certificate.
Warren Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote