Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2018, 03:20   #1

Boat: 78ft ex racing catamaran
Depth Alarm setup

Hi Folks

I am currently adding alarms into my SmartBoat Android phone/tablet application (it displays marine instrumentation data in a large familiar format e.g. Depth, SOG etc. and is a free download from Google Play store) at the request of one of the app users. They specifically asked for depth sensor/calibration and minimum depth alert. I am adding a generic alarm system that can be setup to trigger on any SignalK path and value.

I am not planning to add depth sensor/calibration because SignalK has 3 different possible values
  • depth below keel
  • depth below surface
  • depth below transducer
So the appropriate SignalK path can be chosen. If the data source is an NMEA0183 data stream then internally SmartBoat converts the NMEA0183 DBT sentence into depth below transducer. Given that the boat owner may/should know the surface to transducer and/or transducer to keel offsets it should be easy enough to determine a sensible value to use as an alarm trigger.

I am adding facilities to emit an email, send an SMS, vibrate and play a sound with continuous looping and trigger frequency limiting.

I would be extremely grateful for your thoughts on my assumptions.
damianham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, depth