Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2012, 06:33   #1

Iridium / Inmarsat Data Speed ?

At the moment I have an Iridium 9505A. I purchased it a couple of weeks ago from a guy with intension of using it within1-2 years. But...now I saw Inmarsat I Sat Pro. Inmarsat has better price plans according to me. I will not go to the poles.

the 9505A has a 2.4kbps data speed, but with the compression software they provide it is comparable to 9.6kbps.

The "I sat Pro" has 2.4kbps data speed. Is there any compression software to that one too?

I will use the data speed for emails. I have also found services like sailmail (250 USD per year) and mailasail (180 per year). Is there any more less expensive services?

Anyway...if I use Iridium 9505 datakit and compression software, can use sailmail for additional compression/speed?

Can the Inmarsat I sat Pro be just as fast as the 9505?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 08:23   #2

Boat: searching...
Re: Iridium/Inmarsat data speed?

Hi, I bought the Inmarsat Pro - struggle a bit to get it up to speed, so far my online research indicated that Iridium Phones is the better choice for data.
Glad if someone would proof otherwise
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 09:33   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Look at XGate and OCENS -- they provide compression and satellite-aware optimization for Iridium and IsatPhonePro. (OCENS is re-branding XGate). The costs are probably comparable to Sailmail and Mailasail. Sailmail (and I assume Mailasail) already have built-in compression, fairly similar to XGate/OCENS.

Be aware that the Inmarsat rates may be increasing soon. There's a discussion of this on the Panbo site. This rate increase may only apply to the Inmarsat Fleet Broadband service, and not IsatPhone Pro.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who is using the IsatPhonePro, and can compare it to the Iridium service.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 09:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscraft View Post
Hi, I bought the Inmarsat Pro - struggle a bit to get it up to speed, so far my online research indicated that Iridium Phones is the better choice for data.
Glad if someone would proof otherwise
Have you tried any of the compression software or services? Or just plain Inmarsat Pro?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 08:58   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to GlobalMarineNet
Re: Iridium / Inmarsat Data Speed ?

Hi Folks,

We wrote a blog post in this topic with some detail that you may find interesting.

(Commercial link removed)

Best,

John
GlobalMarineNet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iridium