Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2014, 12:52   #1

Installing Arimar H2183 on s steel yacht

Hi

Just want to install my H2183 and I have now read in the manual that in a steel boat the device can not be mounted within. I am now a little bit confused, because for the AP I have also installed an older Robertson whithin the steel yacht.
Does anybody has installed the H2183 in a steel yacht?

Thanks

Regards,
Matthias
Matthias_1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 23:06   #2

Re: Installing Arimar H2183 on s steel yacht

Dear all

The reason for my question was there is also a Robertson Compass installed in the yacht for the Autohelm pilot which is working great, therefore I tought I can install also the airmar Sensor.

Regards,
Matthias
Matthias_1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:38   #3

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter
Re: Installing Arimar H2183 on s steel yacht

Hey matthias-

I have no experience with that particular sensor- but you will find the same comments from many manufacturers about any heading sensor and steel yachts. Essentially, they have no idea what the magnetic situation inside your boat is, and so make blanket statements stating that it won't work - covering their butts essentially. The fact is, most commercial vessels are steel, and all have similar heading sensor devices. Some are mounted up high on aluminum or wooden masts above the pilothouse to reduce magnetic interference, and the same is sometimes done on sailboats (mount it on a mizzen mast or stern arch); but go too high and vessel motions become a problem. Having a steel boat myself, I've read a lot on this now and in my unscientific review, roughly half the folks who face this ignore the advice and mount it below exactly the same as you would a wooden or fiberglass boat - and have no issues. Some do have issues and are forced to move the sensor to a less problematic location... every situation is different.

Mount it temporarily where you find it most convenient (or where you would LIKE to put it permanently); then go for a test run. make sure you explore stability over all points on the compass, with all potential electrical equipment running below to ensure you've tested effectively. I bet that you'll be fine...

good luck-

bg
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steel, yacht